PDA

View Full Version : Bolleteri's camp-any experience

LarougeNY
04-19-2007, 03:25 PM
My friend invited me to go to bolleteri's camp over the summer for two weeks, which is quite helpful b/c next year I have to try out for varsity (Juniors can't be on JV) and about 10/14 spots are locked, possibly 11.
I wanted to know if its worth the money, if it turns you into a better player. I'm 15, turning 16 over the summer, about 5'9 (hopefully I'll get a few more inches;) ) weigh about 125, and am willing to work my ***** off to make Varsity.
And as for a rating, I have no idea, I would think (based on those really vague descriptions at USTA) that I'm a 4.0, but I dont think so. I beat my uncle (who plays in Ohio, 4.5 league, like 6-4 6-4, but then I lose to a friend of my dad's who plays in california at 3.5 leagues. I would think I'm at least a 3.0 maybe a 3.5 (but by the descriptions it sounds like anything under 4.0 sucks, really bad descriptions).

So anybody have any ideas, should I go? How were your experiences?

topspin_17
04-20-2007, 03:36 AM
I went there for 2 weeks in Oct. 2005. I had a great time there. I could say that it isn't the worst, but then again, it had some flaws, eg. the coaching was pretty repetitive since there were about 6 courts of 5-6 people drilling simultaneously. The courts were crowded, the hot weather made it quite harsh, and the days had a tight schedule to them. You had to be at a meeting place at about 9AM, start hitting at about 9.30, hit until about 11.30 (water breaks though) and have a break until 3PM, where you have to have lunch. And then you get to do whatever you want. Then, at 3PM, you either have 'mental conditioning' or 'tactical/strategic conditioning' sessions with either an english-accent guy (quite young, he looks exactly like the guy Zao from Die Another Day is going to transform into after he has his DNA changed), or a 50 y.o. american-accent guy, both quite nice guys, but the tactical sessions get tedious after watching yourself on video for an hour. The courts are nice (30 of them altogether i think?), quite a few clay courts there, 4 cool indoor courts, but no grass courts. They are all monitored by video cameras (for tactic session purposes). After that, you go to the meeting point where you met with the head coach in the morning, and play matches against fellow players at an appropriate level. The players there are about average for USTA age rankings, but there are a few good people. If you get to hit with Nick Bollettieri, then that would cost you a fortune. You have to book at least 2 months in advance (or more?) but you only get a one hour hitting session, but since my regular coach is a NBTA 'Master Coach' (8 years of experience with NBTA), we got to hit with him for free. He doesn't actually hit with you, but he coaches you while you do simple drills. Quite useful, but its just like normal drilling but with a coach nagging at your side. My favourite part of the camp was the Proshop. There was a demo program, but only prince rackets. Lots of merchandise to buy. I loved it. But if you want to know what it's like, then you gotta go there yourself. That;s what i tell you now.

Forehand Forever
04-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Topspin mostly said it all. My group that I was with also got to hit with Nick for free because the group leader worked with Nick. I went for a week 2 months ago and it was a really good time. You mostly work on the same stuff everyday though which got sorta boring but the break from 12:00 to 3:00 isn't bad, the strategy zone is pretty cool because they have tons of computers and have nice video clips for you to watch.

krprunitennis2
04-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Do you have to run laps if you make mistakes?

Forehand Forever
04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, you start off at 9 in the morning with IPI training. If you skip that I think you have to run laps around the whole complex for like an hour or two. But the way they do their drills is that once you hit like 4 balls pick up 4 so you're gonna be doing a lot of running.

LarougeNY
04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Is it worth the money though, does it help A LOT or would I get the same improvement from a good local club?

103xStateChamp
04-21-2007, 09:34 AM
how much does it cost I think it's $1,500-$2,000 and you can join a club year round for just a tad bit more than that I would rather go to a club =)