PDA

View Full Version : forehand without spin

andreas75
09-15-2004, 04:44 PM
hi guys

ive got a trouble here:

ivent played since 1985 and cant hit with topspin just slice
on the forehand so which is the easiest way to start to hit with spin?

my raquet face always goes looking to the sky and i my wrist cant get loose.

someone can help me?

Also The most difficult thing is thinking during the movent cause i loose concentration.

Thanks

Rickson
09-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Your face shouldn't be facing the sky, it should be either square on contact or semi-closed. Swing from low to high on the forehand and get some pronating with your forearm(turn forearm counterclockwise) on the followthrough. You should get topspin for sure. Practice with slow balls first and move up the pace as you get comfortable.

Camilio Pascual
09-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Once you find out what you should be doing, I suggest you get ~ 50 Gamma 2 tone pressureless balls and a 50 ball risette hopper. I have a few students who have done this and what I'm going to describe works VERY quickly for new players to grasp the experience and execution of topspin. Blue or purple with yellow will give you the highest contrast.
Then, stand at the baseline, drop a ball, and hit it using the topspin technique. Watch the balls' spins and you will get feedback about how well you executed the stroke. Remember the feeling of a well hit ball (depth, spin, pace) and try to duplicate it right away. When you drop the ball, do it from as high as you can or even toss it up a little to make sure it bounces up. Sometimes when you drop it, it doesn't bounce high and you will develop a scooping motion in your stroke. Practice proper footwork technique at the same time. Good luck.