PDA

View Full Version : Playing a tournament this weekend

soggyramen
04-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I haven't been playing for more than a year yet and i've become my personal coaches fav student and he wants me to play in this tournament this weekend...it'll be my first and i'm very nervous i know i'm a good player but on the court i tend to over do things and psych myself out and cause myself to lose sometimes at my high school matches...does anyone have any tips on this and what are some good playing tips to remember while playing

LarougeNY
04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
One thing I noticed:
Keep it slow, don't go too fast-rushing yourself leads to more errors.
Thats more noticable when you're losing, since when you're losing the match seems to go by quickly whereas when you're winning it feels like it takes a while.
good luck, hopefully you don't have my luck (playing top seeds in first rounds)

mJeez4293
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
beat him over the head a few times, ull get the win and wont have to worry about playing :D

fgs
04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
set yourself a goal for the first match - hitting 3 consequtive low risk shots before going for a higher risk shot / winner. by low risk shots i don't mean pushing - i mean a medium paced ball by which you don't try to paint the lines.:D

bad_call
04-20-2007, 12:27 PM
set yourself a goal for the first match - hitting 3 consequtive low risk shots before going for a higher risk shot / winner. by low risk shots i don't mean pushing - i mean a medium paced ball by which you don't try to paint the lines.:D

not a bad plan here. it gives u a personal goal and something ur mind can think about...

103xStateChamp
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Well no offense unless your a very quick learner your not going to win your first tournament no1 really does. I would set a goal to always do better on the 2nd set than the 1st and play good tennis.

Sakumo
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Well no offense unless your a very quick learner your not going to win your first tournament no1 really does. I would set a goal to always do better on the 2nd set than the 1st and play good tennis.

I won my first tourney hehe :D But I didn't start playing tourneys until I had been playing for about 6 years.

soggyramen
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I pretty much knew I wasn't going to win but i set a goal to win my first match and to have fun the rest of the time I was there and I won my first match (against a guy who's been playing for 3 years and I just hit a year)
6-2, 4-6, 6-4, mostly cuz he had a really bad mental game you could see it in his expressions. I lost the semifinal match though cuz i had zero time to rest in between matches since my first one went on for so long (about 3 and 1/2 hours) so i was really tired and it showed in my match even my coach said i could have beat him if i rested. Score was 3-6 2-6 mixed doubles we went to the finals and lost but we lost to a great team that was incredibly consistent with their shots so it didn't feel so bad. It was a fun experiance for me except one of my friends got spat at in the face by her opponent

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
i'm in the eastern section and i have this L1 tournament coming up...by the way iim no.2 seed...

EasternRocks
05-19-2007, 05:02 AM
i'm in a natioanl open in maryland for 12's. i am playing a local kid. mesa are you playing the college park one? yeah, it's not to far away from my site.

good luck

EasternRocks
05-21-2007, 11:21 AM
i just finished my tournamnet-the national open in baltimore, maryland_the 12's.

My result was:
Won-Mataeo Celvallos, 6-3;6-1
loss-Joshua Goodman[2] 6-2;6-1
won-Anton Zykov 6-3;6-1
loss-Leanardo Araneta 6-4;6-0

People do you recongnize any of these people?
Well, if so let me know on this thread!
-peace :) :D