PDA

View Full Version : must-have match DVD's

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 06:57 AM
thinking of buying a bunch of DVD's of tennis matches.... there's a site where they are very cheap.

anyhow,

i want to buy a bunch as they're cheap and the shipping cost will be reasonable in bulk.

the matches that stick out to me are the following:

mcenroe/lendl FO84 (remember an announcer, female??, saying i think mac thought he'd be halfway across the atlantic on the concorde right about now - good line)

mcenroe/borg x 2??? at wimbedon.

does anyone have any matches that stick out to them as absolute top 10 favorites?.... or players that are older or obscure that they especially like?? thinking pat cash, rod laver (older part), medvedev, muster....

thanks in advance!!.. and feel free to jump in with a few words (or more) if you want.

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 07:06 AM
adding coria/nadal from rome 2005... and maybe coria/gaudio FO 2004.....

funny i mentioned medvedev, i see his agassi FO match is very, very popular.

maybe some martina N matches too.... i think we could all learn a ton from her.

adding goran-rafter too..... seems on the site (*********s.net) that agassi is far and away most popular but for whatever reason i'd rather watch many other guys over him.

krosero
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
does anyone have any matches that stick out to them as absolute top 10 favorites?.... or players that are older or obscure that they especially like?? thinking pat cash, rod laver (older part), medvedev, muster....

thanks in advance!!.. and feel free to jump in with a few words (or more) if you want.Two matches I still have not seen are Cash-Lendl in the 1988 Australian semis and Wilander-Cash in the final. Both were 5 sets. The final was 8-6 in the fifth. I could be wrong, but I think that match, and Borg-McEnroe at the 1980 Wimbledon, and Ivanisevic-Rafter, are the only Grand Slam finals in the Open Era to reach 6-all in the fifth.

HEADblade
04-20-2007, 12:27 PM
send me a pm where this site is please

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
feel somewhat bad doing this....

but,

tennis...... dvds.... DOT...... net

basically tds.net..... use your imagination (and above line) for what tds is.

hope i don't get in trouble.

BreakPoint
04-20-2007, 01:25 PM
2001 Wimbledon 4th Round: Federer vs. Sampras. Clash of the titans and the only time they have ever played each other in a match.

Moose Malloy
04-20-2007, 01:43 PM
mcenroe/lendl FO84

That match is airing on TTC on Monday.

Two matches I still have not seen are Cash-Lendl in the 1988 Australian semis and Wilander-Cash in the final.

Both are great, the Wilander-Cash final is available on that site mentioned.

does anyone have any matches that stick out to them as absolute top 10 favorites?....

I get matches from that site all the time, here are some of my favorites:

'81 Wimbledon SF Borg-Connors-I think this is actually better than the Borg-Mac W finals, such a furious pace from both, many great gets, shotmaking, etc. Borg-Mac was mostly just S&V(with a lot of missed returns by both, obviously they were great matches as well, but I think Borg-Connors holds up better today & was higher quality)

'84 US Open SF Cash-Lendl

'84 US Open SF McEnroe-Connors

'95 AO SF Sampras-Courier

'97 US Open 4R Sampras-Korda

'88 US Open Lendl-Agassi

'96 Masters Becker-Sampras

'95 Wimbledon Becker-Agassi

'92 Australian Open Becker-McEnroe

'93 Masters Final Stich-Sampras

'75 Australian Open Newcombe-Connors

'85 Wimbledon Becker-Curren

'85 Australian McEnroe-Leconte

'93 French Open Bruguera-Courier

'00 French Open Kuerten-Norman

'89 Key Biscayne Noah-Muster

'96 Wimbledon Krajicek-Sampras

'99 US Open Agassi-Martin

'91 Wimbledon Wheaton-Agassi

'01 Wimbledon Rafter-Agassi

'94 US Open Chang-Agassi

'85 US Open McEnroe-Wilander

'88 Australian Wilander-Cash

'92 US Open Edberg-Lendl

'95 Australian Sampras-Agassi

'95 Wimbledon Sampras-Matsuoka(well you asked for 'obscure' players, very entertaining encounter from a surprise QFist who pushed Sampras to 4 sets, very agressive, attacking tennis from the Japanese player)

2001 Wimbledon 4th Round: Federer vs. Sampras. Clash of the titans and the only time they have ever played each other in a match.

Its funny, that match was forgetten almost immediately, then when Federer started winning slams 2 years later, it became this "great" match. At the time of '01 Wimbledon, the Rafter-Agassi SF & Rafter-Ivanisevic final were considered candidates for match of the tournament & match of the year, while Sampras-Federer was certainly not.

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 05:51 PM
moose, thanks... that's a great list and i will go thru all of it quite closely.

for sure, i'll add federer-safin SF? at AO (i know they were finals year before)... and federer-sampras wimbledon. i agree only the real fanatics knew that match well until fed exploded.... and maybe borg-laver from hilton head (i think)

any reason why "that site" which presumably doesn't honor copyrights doesn't have goran-rafter final when it seems to have hundreds (thousands??) of other matches.

pj80
04-20-2007, 07:39 PM
moose, thanks... that's a great list and i will go thru all of it quite closely.

for sure, i'll add federer-safin SF? at AO (i know they were finals year before)... and federer-sampras wimbledon. i agree only the real fanatics knew that match well until fed exploded.... and maybe borg-laver from hilton head (i think)

any reason why "that site" which presumably doesn't honor copyrights doesn't have goran-rafter final when it seems to have hundreds (thousands??) of other matches.

he does..just ask him. Theres numerous other websites that have tennis on dvd just google "tennis matches on dvd"

noeledmonds
04-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Its funny, that match was forgetten almost immediately, then when Federer started winning slams 2 years later, it became this "great" match. At the time of '01 Wimbledon, the Rafter-Agassi SF & Rafter-Ivanisevic final were considered candidates for match of the tournament & match of the year, while Sampras-Federer was certainly not.

I agree noone thought much of this match at the time. The match was engaging over 5 tight sets, but not actually that high quality in terms of tennis standard.

noeledmonds
04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I must add the 2000 Australian Open Agassi-Sampras match to those others have mentioned.

suwanee4712
04-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I'd love to find some matches involving Ramesh Krishnan and Bettina Bunge. I have one or two. But I can't get enough of watching those two. Both were such silky smooth talents that made the game so pretty to see.

mmuubb
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Sampras-Corretja USO QF's I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong)-Pure passion, iron will to win and a truly great sporting moment.

Moose Malloy
04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd love to find some matches involving Ramesh Krishnan and Bettina Bunge. I have one or two.

which ones do you have? do you have any pernfors, noah, mecir, leconte, jarryd, or arias?
I know a site that has a Mac-Krishnan & Edberg-Krishnan match.

Pleepers
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Sampras-Corretja USO QF's I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong)-Pure passion, iron will to win and a truly great sporting moment.

I would agree on this one. I also like the Sampras/Courier one (maybe Australia '95?) where Sampras has a "cry session" becuase his coach died, then hits a couple of aces and throws in some winners to boot. It was weird to see a legend known to be so composed breakdown like that. In the end I guess we are all human. :D

Lambsscroll
04-25-2007, 08:45 AM
What about Goran's Wimbledon win? You know the one I'm talking about. :)

stormholloway
04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Edberg v. Becker Wimbledon 1990

Classic.