PDA

View Full Version : ice bath after playing??

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 07:26 AM
curious about this subject.....

i think i read about both tennis and baseball players taking ice baths after a long, hard match... and i've seen them do it on that stupid MTV reality show about that high school football team in alabama....... seems to really work. and i don't know about you guys, but my back is often really sore after 2 hours of playing (and i think that's relatively true of pro's when it's over 2 hours - see agassi or bagh from last USO).

anyone done this?? can i produce enough ice to make my bath water "cold enough"??................. i have been doing hot baths which seemingly is the exact opposite and seems to work o.k, not great though..... can someone explain the therapeutic difference between ice and heat on sore, tired muscles? (NOT injured muscles, i know that's ice followed later by heat.

thanks in advance!!

dommod
04-20-2007, 08:02 AM
I try this once or twice. Very hard to make water cold enough (many ice cubes!), and I don't know how well it work for soreness, but it felt kind of nice after a bit. Worth trying. Very freezing at beginning though. Ouch!!

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
dommod, thanks.... turned out there was lots on internet about it and it sounds good. apparently the hot bath was a terrible idea. makes soreness worse (although i don't understand totally..... are blood vessels and muscles somewhat independent of each other? i.e. do muscles have alot of blood vessels. i'd assume so. heat is marketed as good for sore muscles so i don't really understand.

anyhow, any ideas as to how i can produce large quantities of ice (old yogurt containers, or will they crack??).... or how much will be required to make a difference?.... or can you easily buy thermometers cheaply for lower temperatures?

chess9
04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I run a tub of all cold water, then throw in a bunch of my frozen water bottles, ice bags and ice cubes. It doesn't have to be too cold to confer a benefit. Just sit there for 15 minutes. You will notice the benefit very soon after getting out. I follow it with a brief, luke warm shower. Not too hot.

I've been doing that for decades. I learned it from my high school baseball coach.

-Robert

cghipp
04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I have thought about it but haven't dared to do it! Chicken...

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I have thought about it but haven't dared to do it! Chicken...

me too.... although i'm a "baby" in additionto being a "chicken":rolleyes:

Fatmike
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
there is a icy bath in the club where i play

never tried it

rod_b
04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
AFAIK, it doesn't have to be ice cold. People who lift weights at a club will often jump into a cold pool and swim afterwards. The idea is that the cold will reduce the amount of, or production of, lactic acid to prevent soreness associated with tearing and building muscle. I've never done this for tennis or other sports but for weight training, I can say it has helped.

Ronaldo
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Must be a godsend for your arm after playing

Pleepers
04-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Generally ice is for sore and swollen joints (knees and shoulders), while heat is for sore muscles.

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Generally ice is for sore and swollen joints (knees and shoulders), while heat is for sore muscles.

which would you think is better for stiff back??

anyhow, i did it........... my tapwater gets pretty cold when you run it for 2 minutes and then i added a basic ice tray to a standard-sized tube. .. was it ever freakin' cold? and wow, what a difference it make quickly? i'm trying to figure out though how to do 10 minutes, let alone 2 minutes??... at first, the area of your body that gets the most blood (hint, hint) felt really bad.

LuckyR
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
curious about this subject.....

i think i read about both tennis and baseball players taking ice baths after a long, hard match... and i've seen them do it on that stupid MTV reality show about that high school football team in alabama....... seems to really work. and i don't know about you guys, but my back is often really sore after 2 hours of playing (and i think that's relatively true of pro's when it's over 2 hours - see agassi or bagh from last USO).

anyone done this?? can i produce enough ice to make my bath water "cold enough"??................. i have been doing hot baths which seemingly is the exact opposite and seems to work o.k, not great though..... can someone explain the therapeutic difference between ice and heat on sore, tired muscles? (NOT injured muscles, i know that's ice followed later by heat.

thanks in advance!!

Pitchers ice their arms routinely. If you are putting as much strain on your arm in tennis as they do, you are going to have major problems (ie they can't play everyday and you have to). I would ice an injury but it shouldn't be necessary on a routine basis for tennis.

CanadianChic
04-20-2007, 02:15 PM
It depends how long after the match - it is grossly unhealthy to submerge yourself in very cold water when your body is still hot. The heart is unaccustomed to such sudden temperature changes - an example would be the polar bear dive. There is a reason there are always ambulances on hand at these events.

Thud and blunder
04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Five million Finns would disagree with you, CC...

Pleepers
04-20-2007, 02:51 PM
which would you think is better for stiff back??

anyhow, i did it........... my tapwater gets pretty cold when you run it for 2 minutes and then i added a basic ice tray to a standard-sized tube. .. was it ever freakin' cold? and wow, what a difference it make quickly? i'm trying to figure out though how to do 10 minutes, let alone 2 minutes??... at first, the area of your body that gets the most blood (hint, hint) felt really bad.

I guess it depends -is it the spine or the muscles of the back?

dcottrill
04-20-2007, 03:09 PM
i'm trying to figure out though how to do 10 minutes, let alone 2 minutes

I get in an empty tub and then turn on the cold water. That way I gradually get covered with cold water. I can't imagine just getting in a tub full of ice water.

chess9
04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I get in an empty tub and then turn on the cold water. That way I gradually get covered with cold water. I can't imagine just getting in a tub full of ice water.

I do it just like a polar bear! Just jump into the cold tub. In about one minute it feels normal. I can't imagine such a brief and partial immersion in water that is relatively warm-45-60 degrees could possibly cause a heart attack unless you have a pre-existing coronary condition. It IS briefly uncomfortable.

I've done a 1.2 mile swim without a wetsuit at the shore in New Jersey (ca 1983, November) and the water was about 57 degrees. No problemo....

-Robert

Fee
04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
The Bryan Brothers mentioned this in their blog last summer during Wimbledon if you want to try to track that down at the ATP website. When I was studying sportsmedicine a while back, it was amongst our methods of therapy, but very few athletes were takers (they had a hard enough time with submerging an ankle or an elbow). We had an ice machine, so we could fill the whirlpool tub then add cold water or room temp water on top of it. The tub was in the middle of a co-ed treatment room, so the guys had to wear shorts and that was probably helpful to them.

The benefit is that is does reduce the inflammation and 'heat' associated with overworked, lactic-acid soaked muscles throughout the body. For men, the immediate downside of this is probably obvious... It can be a shock to your body if you are not used to this, and CC is right, you should cool off and stop sweating before you get in an ice bath. Since most people keep their chests, shoulders and head out of the water, the real danger is probably minimal.

Heat is used to increase circulation and healing. It is better before activity, or during treatment, but not necessarily after you perform a particular activity when your body is still warm. Alternating heat and cold is also an effective treatment to speed healing, but that is more effective about 48 hours after the initial injury.

dcottrill
04-20-2007, 05:37 PM
at first, the area of your body that gets the most blood (hint, hint) felt really bad.

Sounds like a recipe for a really bad case of shrinkage.

grizzly4life
04-20-2007, 05:57 PM
thanks for all the feedback.... it seems like it's very worthwhile (you should try it). my legs felt much better in just a minute or so. and previously i'd have that heavy leg feeling really badly the next day.... but i'm going to go back and do it more gradually. start with just cold tap water for now and add an additional ice cube each time i do it.... it was really, really cold. had to pretend i was chuck norris in "missing in action" being tortured by the evil prison warden.

103xStateChamp
04-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a recipe for a really bad case of shrinkage.

lol, that is funny:p

waves2ya
04-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm in the NJ ocean around Memorial Day; fullsuit around 52 degrees...

And advocate ice baths (really, more cold water than ice) after big matches.

Great for recovery (there's a thread here somewhere, as always, concerning)...

dommod
04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I think there is an expression APROPOS this topic: No pain, no gain. Don't be chicken anyone!

KingOfTennis
04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
wouldnt it be bad for u since u make ur heart/body (warmed up and pumping at fast rate) suddenly cool down massively. Like its bad for ur heart to jump in a really cold pool.

dommod
04-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I wish I never read this thread since I had forgotten about ice bath until I read it, and so I took one today after play. OUCH!!!! It is torturous! Additionally, the Canadian lady has scared the bejesus out of me with her voiced concern about heart attack and ambulance on stand-by! Is this really true people? Is ice bath dangerous?

Irregardless of safety, I think it might be helpful for sore muscle. Plus contrary to what I remember, just running very cold tap water is frigid plenty. Extra ice optional!

LuckyR
04-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I wish I never read this thread since I had forgotten about ice bath until I read it, and so I took one today after play. OUCH!!!! It is torturous! Additionally, the Canadian lady has scared the bejesus out of me with her voiced concern about heart attack and ambulance on stand-by! Is this really true people? Is ice bath dangerous?

Irregardless of safety, I think it might be helpful for store muscle. Plus contrary to what I remember, just running very cold tap water is frigid plenty. Extra ice optional!

I wouldn't worry about your heart unless you had known (or unknown) preexisting heart problems. So, I guess you should worry about it...

CanadianChic
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Irregardless of safety, I think it might be helpful for sore muscle. Plus contrary to what I remember, just running very cold tap water is frigid plenty. Extra ice optional!

Sorry Dommod, I didn't mean to alarm you. I am an honest poster, and will not lie......changing external environments at an immediate is not good for the heart. Anyone who claims it is is not posting honestly. I have no issue with taking a "cold" bath or shower, or even an ice bath after your body has cooled down naturally. I'm sure you've heard of parents rushing their children into ice baths to cool them down - that is when the child (or adult) is suffering a dangerously critical fever. To go from a match, where your body is overheated and your heart is pumping at a faster than normal rate and submerging yourself in ice water is unnecessary and foolish. Use an ice pack on muscles - same effectiveness without a complete submerge.
Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor and these are only my opinions, but yes, ambulances do stand by at polar bear runs for a reason - and it has not always been the elderly or those with preexisting heart conditions who have needed them. :p

dommod
04-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Sorry Dommod, I didn't mean to alarm you. I am an honest poster, and will not lie......changing external environments at an immediate is not good for the heart. Anyone who claims it is is not posting honestly. I have no issue with taking a "cold" bath or shower, or even an ice bath after your body has cooled down naturally. I'm sure you've heard of parents rushing their children into ice baths to cool them down - that is when the child (or adult) is suffering a dangerously critical fever. To go from a match, where your body is overheated and your heart is pumping at a faster than normal rate and submerging yourself in ice water is unnecessary and foolish. Use an ice pack on muscles - same effectiveness without a complete submerge.
Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor and these are only my opinions, but yes, ambulances do stand by at polar bear runs for a reason - and it has not always been the elderly or those with preexisting heart conditions who have needed them. :p

The information you have provided has left me flummoxed. I value your participation, but am alarmed by your data. On one hand we have you say risk of heart attack is present with ice bath and polar bear meets. On other hand we have several others who say they regularly take ice bath, a fitness club that reportedly offer an ice bath, and a former sports medicine study person who say ice baths was part of the treatment at her clinic place. How can these places offer ice bath treatment if it is so dangerous? You yourself you have said ice bath okay for fever. Plus we have five million Finnish people who reportedly like ice bath!:confused:

I am at a loss now. I much prefer ice bath after tennis over ice pack because it can treat all sore muscles simultaneously from back to toe. I also don't want to have heart failure. What is the solution everyone???

El Guapo
04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
You're wrong. No one submerges their body in ice water after a tennis match for recovery. Everyone is talking about taking an ice bath which is just for your legs. There is NOTHING wrong with putting your legs into an ice bath when you're very hot. Ice baths are generally around 50F and NOWHERE near cold enough to cause problems when just your legs are submerged.

dommod
04-28-2007, 12:54 AM
You're wrong. No one submerges their body in ice water after a tennis match for recovery. Everyone is talking about taking an ice bath which is just for your legs. There is NOTHING wrong with putting your legs into an ice bath when you're very hot. Ice baths are generally around 50F and NOWHERE near cold enough to cause problems when just your legs are submerged.

I beg pardon, but me and original poster and others in present discussion submerge not just legs but large percentage of body in icy bath. The orignal grizzly for his back, and me for everywhere from back to feet, but not the frontal head area. I lie in tub mostly underwater except for head and upper chestal area and freeze my you-knows off! So the Canadian Lady's voiced warnings give me cause for concern.:-(

CanadianChic
04-28-2007, 03:27 AM

LOL. Get a grip - "no you're wrong!!" **shakes head**

I beg pardon, but me and original poster and others in present discussion submerge not just legs but large percentage of body in icy bath. The orignal grizzly for his back, and me for everywhere from back to feet, but not the frontal head area. I lie in tub mostly underwater except for head and upper chestal area and freeze my you-knows off! So the Canadian Lady's voiced warnings give me cause for concern.:-(

I'm just tossing out a warning Dommod - not meaning to scare people off or alarm, only offering the negative side to the situation. There are thousands of tanning salons throughout the world even though it is well known that even this form of UV causes skin problems and cancer. They still operate though - it's a health and beauty market baby!!

dommod
04-28-2007, 09:59 AM
LOL. Get a grip - "no you're wrong!!" **shakes head**

I'm just tossing out a warning Dommod - not meaning to scare people off or alarm, only offering the negative side to the situation. There are thousands of tanning salons throughout the world even though it is well known that even this form of UV causes skin problems and cancer. They still operate though - it's a health and beauty market baby!!

My apologies if I implicated an endorsement of tanning salons. I do not endorse them. I do not utilize them. I am interested in ice baths only, not artificial sunlight means, so pardon if I confused the situation.:confused:

I pondered more about ambulances on standby for polar bear meets. Are they there for precaution or for necessary purpose? I read about man who expired after Coney Island polar bear meet on New Year's Day of this very year, but he dive into sandbar and break his neck, not suffer frozen heart attack. Is risk of ice bath heart failure significant in your view, or more like one in a million and akin to lightning strike odds?

I continue to seek the truth about this riddle. Have you any statistic or sourcing to confirm your fear of danger in regard to icy water?

CanadianChic
04-29-2007, 03:56 AM
Well, I believe it to be as likely as being hit by lightning if you hang on a beach in a lightning storm. The ambulances are there for precautionary methods due to the necessity of equipment being on scene and to decrease response time. Do people normally keel over at these events? No. Does it occasionally happen? Yes. Personally, I take precautions to avoid unnecessary strain on my organs - but keep in mind that I take unnecessary risks all the time in life. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I am not saying this will happen to you, but nobody can assure you that it won't either. Just tossing my opinion into the mix bud. :)

Serve 'em hard
04-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Here's an excerpt from a professional rugby website, Dommod, one of among many of internet sites talking about the benefits of ice baths. I think you're gonna live dude, but research yourself if you want even more reassurance.

He, Betty, I guess they're gonna be advocating walks on lightening filled beaches next, huh? lol!

"Recovery has become a bit of a buzz word over the past few years.

Teams and physios are always looking for the best methods to help sportstars recover from their gruelling training sessions as quickly as possible.

Rugby teams use massage, stretching sessions, relaxation therapy, steam baths, yoga and swimming to help their players overcome stiffness.

But the recovery method which has become the choice (and curse) of the players is the ice bath.

You may ask why Jonny Wilkinson bothers jumping into an ice bath after a match when all he wants to do is rest with a few cool drinks and a massage.

The reason lies behind what the cold, icy water does for a sportsman after a hard day at the office.

To understand how the ice baths work though, we first need to understand what recovery is all about..."

CanadianChic
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Okay, I will reiterate my stance to you Dommod. I do not believe that taking an ice bath will harm the average, healthy individual. I do think that it is unnecessary to "completely" submerge the body in ice water though. Overall, I think you will be safe and I apologize if I alarmed you.
Sometimes, I tend to look at the negatives and focus on those (occupational hazard I suppose) as I see the "worst case" scenarios, and not the average Joe just trying to heal his muscles. Do what you feel is right for you - I feel that there is alot of advice that is given on this forum that is sound and beneficial to others. Sometimes, there are opinions and the flip side of the coin. You are the only one who knows what is best for you. Take care.

SoBad
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
No, you need to get into sauna instead, to relax yourself and avoid stiffness. That's what all tennis and baseball players do.

Serve 'em hard
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
No, you need to get into sauna instead, to relax yourself and avoid stiffness. That's what all tennis and baseball players do.

Isn't the trend towards heat before exercise, cold afterwards for the most part?

SoBad
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Isn't the trend towards heat before exercise, cold afterwards for the most part?

I am not sure about the global trends, but sauna and swimming makes me hungry, and cannot play tennis when I am hungry. However, sauna after tennis eliminates the naturally resulting stiffness, and that's what all tennis players and especially baseball players do around here. Ice I think is only good as immediate temporary remedy for acute inflammation applied directly to injured area, and no other purpose.

CanadianChic
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Is he really Heycal? How did you know, CC ?

Btw, I'm on your side CC, eventhough I didn't agree with what you said about Ice bath and heart attack.

He has no right to attack you like that.

Thanks Ano, I appreciate that. I am not always right and I can admit it, and I don't expect others to agree with me - I just wish there could be more respectful posters such as yourself, Chess and Dommod (to name a few).

I can detect him from the way he attacks me. :p

Serve 'em hard
04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Is he really Heycal? How did you know, CC ?

Btw, I'm on your side CC, eventhough I didn't agree with what you said about Ice bath and heart attack.

He has no right to attack you like that.

I'm not sure what kind of code you guys are talking in, but the only reason I "attacked" the Canadian Girl was the way she gave such silly advice to those guys about ice baths like she actually knew something about it. Those dudes might get real benefit from such treatments, but if someone tells 'em they might drop dead if they do so, they might be scared off from partaking in it and suffer in pain needlessly.

CanadianChic
04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure what kind of code you guys are talking in, but the only reason I "attacked" the Canadian Girl was the way she gave such silly advice to those guys about ice baths like she actually knew something about it. Those dudes might get real benefit from such treatments, but if someone tells 'em they might drop dead if they do so, they might be scared off from partaking in it and suffer in pain needlessly.

BINGO!!!

Actually, you came at me in another thread - not just the sort of "I disagree with your nonsense" post, but a full fledged "attack", so let's be honest. You have an agenda and I am not the only one who has noticed your irrational response to me. BTW....tossing the word "dude" into your posts does nothing to take away from your writing style.....just a thought for next time.

Serve 'em hard
04-29-2007, 11:04 PM
I am not sure about the global trends, but sauna and swimming makes me hungry, and cannot play tennis when I am hungry. However, sauna after tennis eliminates the naturally resulting stiffness, and that's what all tennis players and especially baseball players do around here. Ice I think is only good as immediate temporary remedy for acute inflammation applied directly to injured area, and no other purpose.

yeah, but I'm saying that more and more people are forsaking heat after sports for cold instead, ya know? Still might be sauna and heat stuff goin' on after sports, but I think cold afterwards, even for general soreness and stiffness, is becoming more popular and heat less so.

CanadianChic
04-29-2007, 11:57 PM
I feel that if you take an overheated body and completely submerge it in ice water, then there is a "chance" the heart or brain will not react well to it. There is a "chance". Chance, chance, chance. Do I feel that this will likely occur? Of course not, but I offered the fact that it could potentially occur, although it is probably safe. Now go away Heycal, I've had about all I can stomach of you for tonight.

Thank you Ano, I would hug you if I could. It is only a matter of time until Heycal gets his walking papers from the Mods again. He has an inability to walk away from an argument, and that is his downfall.

Serve 'em hard
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I feel that if you take an overheated body and completely submerge it in ice water, then there is a "chance" the heart or brain will not react well to it.

So presumably you think that the time honored practice of running around and getting all hot and sweaty and then jumping into a freezing lake or pool is riskier than, say, walking on a beach during a lightning storm?:p

Alafter
04-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Wow you are serious, for once.

Ronaldo
04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
The reason ice bathing is dangerous for your heart is the sudden increase in your heart rate and blood pressure, which can cause a stroke. Your body already experienced the same conditions while exercising. http://ohiodnr.com/watercraft/safetips/hypo.htm

Serve 'em hard
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
The reason ice bathing is dangerous for your heart is the sudden increase in your heart rate and blood pressure, which can cause a stroke. Your body already experienced the same conditions while exercising. http://ohiodnr.com/watercraft/safetips/hypo.htm

If your body "already experienced the same conditions" when exercising, and if those conditions can cause stroke and heart attack, are you saying it's dangerous to exercise in the first place?

Anyway, this link is devoted mostly to hypothermia issues related to boating accidents, and even talks about water in the 77 degree range being "dangerous". But it really doesn't have much to do with ice baths.

Don't you think if there was a real risk of heart failure from ice baths, these TV Shows featuring high schoolers ice bathing, sports medicine clinics, professional sports teams, Brad Gilbert if memory serves, polar bear swims, health clubs, and tons of others who endorse ice baths would have gotten wise and realized this by now? Where are all the lawsuits that would have inevitably been filed in the wake of dudes dropping dead from ice bathing? Where are all the warnings about the dangers of ice baths from the AMA and other such groups?

I find it hard to believe that a couple of scared posters in this thread know more about this issue than all the folks who work in related fields, understand the issues, and advocate ice baths.

Ronaldo
04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
If your body "already experienced the same conditions" when exercising, and if those conditions can cause stroke and heart attack, are you saying it's dangerous to exercise in the first place?

Anyway, this link is devoted mostly to hypothermia issues related to boating accidents, and even talks about water in the 77 degree range being "dangerous". But it really doesn't have much to do with ice baths.

Don't you think if there was a real risk of heart failure from ice baths, these TV Shows featuring high schoolers ice bathing, sports medicine clinics, professional sports teams, Brad Gilbert if memory serves, polar bear swims, health clubs, and tons of others who endorse ice baths would have gotten wise and realized this by now? Where are all the lawsuits that would have inevitably been filed in the wake of dudes dropping dead from ice bathing? Where are all the warnings about the dangers of ice baths from the AMA and other such groups?

I find it hard to believe that a couple of scared posters in this thread know more about this issue than all the folks who work in related fields, understand the issues, and advocate ice baths.

Yes, exercising can raise your your BP to levels that can cause a stroke. Experienced it, my systolic bp reading was above 220, had to stop exercising until it fell. The danger lies with individuals with pre-existing heart problems but how many really know when they are young if they have a heart problem that can be aggravated by cold submersion. Btw, know a runner who swears by dipping his legs into cold water after running, works for him.

Serve 'em hard
04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, exercising can raise your your BP to levels that can cause a stroke. Experienced it, my systolic bp reading was above 220, had to stop exercising until it fell. The danger lies with individuals with pre-existing heart problems but how many really know when they are young if they have a heart problem that can be aggravated by cold submersion. Btw, know a runner who swears by dipping his legs into cold water after running, works for him.

Well, like I said before, there's a risk in breaking your neck by running into a net post while playing tennis, but it's really more of freak accident when it happens and not somthing one needs to really concern themselves with.

Again, if ice bathing is dangerous, how come we aren't hearing about it? How come so many practice and advocate it? Where all the stories about poor Timmy dropping dead after taking an ice bath or diving into a freezing lake 'cause it turned out he had an unknown heart condition?

We live in a society overly full of warnings and prohibitions and fear mongering when it comes to health issues, yet ice baths aren't among the many things we are warned against by the authorities, and entire organizations and groups advocate their use.

El Guapo
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, like I said before, there's a risk in breaking your neck by running into a net post while playing tennis, but it's really more of freak accident when it happens and not somthing one needs to really concern themselves with.

Again, if ice bathing is dangerous, how come we aren't hearing about it? How come so many practice and advocate it? Where all the stories about poor Timmy dropping dead after taking an ice bath or diving into a freezing lake 'cause it turned out he had an unknown heart condition?

We live in a society overly full of warnings and prohibitions and fear mongering when it comes to health issues, yet ice baths aren't among the many things we are warned against by the authorities, and entire organizations and groups advocate their use.
Exactly. We're not talking about hypothermia here. 5-10 minutes in an ice bath at 50F following strenuous exercise will NOT result in hypothermia.

TalkingTennis91
04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
So here is my quesiton:

Is actual ice required to be present or could you just put yourself into a bath tub full of the coldest water that will come out of your faucet?

AndrewD
04-30-2007, 03:37 PM
However, sauna after tennis eliminates the naturally resulting stiffness, and that's what all tennis players and especially baseball players do around here. Ice I think is only good as immediate temporary remedy for acute inflammation applied directly to injured area, and no other purpose.

After playing any sport, you NEVER get directly into a sauna. Remember, you have been sweating and, as a result, losing fluid. How much you lose depends, obviously, on the temperature, the amount you sweat and the amount/duration of the exercise. In every case, however, you need to replace the lost fluids before you put yourself in a situation where you are going to lose more. A sauna, which causes you to sweat would be one of the most unhealthy things you can do after sport. If you're talking about professional sportspeople in your area, I'd have to assume they are only allowed into the sauna after they have done their warm-down and re-hydrated themselves sufficiently.

Ice helps to reduce inflammation by inhibiting blood flow (the sauna will do the opposite). It can be used immediately after exercise or on an on-going basis. If you play a high impact sport you can get some pretty severe bruises. Ice helps stop them developing BUT it needs to be used over a period of time, not merely as a one off treatment. Ice, however, it is not appropriate for pulled, strained or torn muscles.

An ice bath that the ordinary person can set up isn't going to achieve low enough temperatures to be of any danger to their health. I would also say that in my experience (12 years playing professional football - Australian Rules-, having an ice bath - 5 minutes- after most matches and a recovery session in the ocean or a salt water pool) an ice bath isn't the best thing, in most every case, for the back or the upper torso (okay for spots - shoulder, arm, wrist- but not necessary for the entire body).

The absolute best thing you can do for muscular recovery is to walk or submerge yourself in the ocean. I can't say what the exact scientific basis is for that but it has something to do with the salt water and natural motion of the sea working on the muscles. If you have any deep tissue injuries - back or hamstring- it is a god send.

Serve 'em hard
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
After playing any sport, you NEVER get directly into a sauna. Remember, you have been sweating and, as a result, losing fluid. How much you lose depends, obviously, on the temperature, the amount you sweat and the amount/duration of the exercise. In every case, however, you need to replace the lost fluids before you put yourself in a situation where you are going to lose more. A sauna, which causes you to sweat would be one of the most unhealthy things you can do after sport. If you're talking about professional sportspeople in your area, I'd have to assume they are only allowed into the sauna after they have done their warm-down and re-hydrated themselves sufficiently.

Ice helps to reduce inflammation by inhibiting blood flow (the sauna will do the opposite). It can be used immediately after exercise or on an on-going basis. If you play a high impact sport you can get some pretty severe bruises. Ice helps stop them developing BUT it needs to be used over a period of time, not merely as a one off treatment. Ice, however, it is not appropriate for pulled, strained or torn muscles.

An ice bath that the ordinary person can set up isn't going to achieve low enough temperatures to be of any danger to their health. I would also say that in my experience (12 years playing professional football - Australian Rules-, having an ice bath - 5 minutes- after most matches and a recovery session in the ocean or a salt water pool) an ice bath isn't the best thing, in most every case, for the back or the upper torso (okay for spots - shoulder, arm, wrist- but not necessary for the entire body).

The absolute best thing you can do for muscular recovery is to walk or submerge yourself in the ocean. I can't say what the exact scientific basis is for that but it has something to do with the salt water and natural motion of the sea working on the muscles. If you have any deep tissue injuries - back or hamstring- it is a god send.

If you think a freezing cold ice bath is hard to set up in your bathtub, trying setting up a chilly ocean of salt water...

dommod
05-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I think this thread take many twists and turns since I last check! Now I want to ask a FOLLOW UP question about ice baths that I have been ruminating. How long after tennis match would ice bath be effective? I like to try very soon after, but what if one hour, two hour, or even three hour or more pass inbetween end of tennis match and opportunity for ice bathing? Would there be any benefit at such later time or too much time has pass to be of merit?

waves2ya
05-12-2007, 03:46 AM
53 degrees today; ummm - spring surf; empty lineups, ice cream headaches ...

As cold at it can get out of the tap is just fine - ice is really extra (3 above)...

And, yes - delaying is a poor idea. You are trying to reduce the 'global' inflammation from a rough match; the longer you wait, the more the inflammatory process sets in.

Eat right after. Cool down right after...

richw76
05-12-2007, 06:12 AM
I started doing This after long hard cross country practices in high school. Bath as hot as you can stand; trick is add Epson salt, and sit in there while it's running it'll let you make it hotter without being to bad. I usually add about 2-4 cups of epson salt. It's really cheap and you can buy it in the drug or grocery store. Anyway sit there for 10 or 15 minutes. I'll add more hot water every few minutes to keep it warm. After that I'll take a long Cold shower(2-10min). You'll get out and feel like a million bucks.

Only thing I don't have back or joint problems. I know heat is always the worst thing for lower back pain. so If you have it you're probably out of luck.

Bodacious DVT
05-14-2007, 06:07 PM
there is nothing wrong with taking an ice bath after a workout (assuming you have no coronary problems). my physical therapist recommended it. as long as the water temperature is around the 50's and up you're ok. keep it away from freezing and limit your time to around 15 minutes. you want to allow your body enough time to cool down before going in. anywhere from 15-30 minutes. an ice bath starts to lose effectiveness after that. it may also be a good idea to have a cup of hot tea etc to reduce the effects on your internals. not necessary, just a suggestion.

ideas for ice: ice cubes, ice bags from a gas station, ice blocks for lunches/coolers, freeze ice in plastic containers and throw them in, etc.

ice baths are good for inflammation, tendons, ligaments, joints, and some muscle pain.

and you dont have to worry about freezing your balls off. its worse for them to be hot anyways.

ShooterMcMarco
05-15-2007, 08:48 AM
In the new men's health or men's fitness magazine with Roddick on the cover he mentions taking ice baths also.

dommod
05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
In the new men's health or men's fitness magazine with Roddick on the cover he mentions taking ice baths also.

So maybe heart attack risk is negligible if famous player like Roddick favors ice bathing?

10sfreak
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
So maybe heart attack risk is negligible if famous player like Roddick favors ice bathing?
Yes, and I believe that is what CC has been trying to convey for a few posts now. Btw CC, I see the "quotes" of Ano's you've used, but don't see his actual posts in this thread?

ShooterMcMarco
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM

I don't condone it, I was just stating a fact

Serve 'em hard
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Yes, and I believe that is what CC has been trying to convey for a few posts now.

Actually, she was trying to convey that she thought taking ice baths was as dangerous as walking on a beach during a lightning storm.

El Guapo
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Negligible as in almost zero, especially if you're only submerging your lower body.

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
well i tried one today and had a total of zero heart attacks.

my crotch was frozen, but no heart problems. my legs feel reaaally good though.

Phil
05-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Seems to me like an ice bath would cause more discomfort than the condition(s) that it's intended to alleviate.

Why not just put ice on the bodypart/s that are particularly sore? I'm pretty sure this has been proven to work since athletes have been using ice, and as a bonus, it's easier, quicker and doesn't waste water, hence providing the ICEE with points for being enviornmentally conscious.

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Seems to me like an ice bath would cause more discomfort than the condition(s) that it's intended to alleviate.

Why not just put ice on the bodypart/s that are particularly sore? I'm pretty sure this has been proven to work since athletes have been using ice, and as a bonus, it's easier, quicker and doesn't waste water, hence providing the ICEE with points for being enviornmentally conscious.

true, but it all comes down to a testosterone thing.

Freezing half to death is waaaaaay more macho than using a sissy icepack.:D

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM

Waste water? What, do you live on Gilligan's Island? I'm guess I'm not PC enough, since I really can't feel too guilty about wasting water by taking a friggin' bath...

Have you ever tried an ice bath yourself? It's hell for about sixty seconds -- and then kind of nice and pleasant and strangely addictive, and of course, treats all those sore areas simultaneously. If you try it a couple of times, don't be surprised if you become hooked... OR DIE OF A HEART ATTACK!!!

Chauvalito
05-27-2007, 07:42 PM

I do this as well. I tried getting into an ice cold bath and was not able too, it was just too cold and a little painful.

The gradual approach works well.

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 07:51 PM
The waste water comment was me just kidding around, but you wouldn't have caught that-unless of course I used a "smiley" face. Yer one of dem dere vis-u-al people who needs pic-chures for everyting.

I don't NEED ice baths. My sore spots-and I do have 'em-can be covered by an ice pack or two. But for YOU, I can understand submerging yourself in ice...since you don't have a square inch of your body that isn't fubar. But GENERALLY speaking, for most people, I wouldn't think it would be very relaxing. Addictive? Never would have guessed-but everyone needs to find a way to get his jollies.

You don't NEED ice baths, just ice packs? You say that like it's a source of pride for you, tough guy. Thing is, real tough guys don't even need ice packs. Ya pansy.

For the record, I have yet to hurt my left wrist, so your remarks about my body being covered in injuries is false.

And chess9 says he has been taking ice baths for decades. Unlike you, he is not afraid to submerge himself in icy water if he feels sore. Are you going to tell him it's not relaxing or helpful, or even perhaps jolli-ly addictive?

Go ahead. Tell him that. I dare you.

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I do this as well. I tried getting into an ice cold bath and was not able too, it was just too cold and a little painful.

The gradual approach works well.

I'm not sure that's any better. This is just a variation on the best way to enter a freezing swimming pool. Inch by inch, or just dive in. Smart money says dive in and get it over if you have the courage to, instead of the slow torture, step by step method.

Chauvalito
05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure that's any better. This is just a variation on the best way to enter a freezing swimming pool. Inch by inch, or just dive in. Smart money says dive in and get it over if you have the courage to, instead of the slow torture, step by step method.

Your quite right. "just a variation on the best way to enter a freezing swimming pool". That sentence made me laugh

Phil
05-27-2007, 08:01 PM
You don't NEED ice baths, just ice packs? You say that like it's a source of pride for you, tough guy. Thing is, real tough guys don't even need ice packs. Ya pansy.

For the record, I have yet to hurt my left wrist, so your remarks about my body being covered in injuries is false.

And chess9 says he has been taking ice baths for decades. Unlike you, he is not afraid to submerge himself in icy water if he feels sore. Are you going to tell him it's not relaxing or helpful, or even perhaps jolli-ly addictive?

Go ahead. Tell him that. I dare you.

Maybe I just don't realize I need ice baths. No pride on my part in not being injured over every part of my body...I feel more...lucky. Because, with the risks I've taken and the number of bones I've broken as a yungun, I could easily be in the same boat...errr tub as you.

I've taken PLENTY of cold showers in my day...doesn't that count for something?

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Maybe I just don't realize I need ice baths. No pride on my part in not being injured over every part of my body...I feel more...lucky. Because, with the risks I've taken and the number of bones I've broken as a yungun, I could easily be in the same boat...errr tub as you.

We'll give you partial credit for the cold showers, but you'll need to take at least one legitimate ice bath before the semester is through if you want to pass the course.

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
hey phil

i triple doggie dare you to take an ice bath for at least 15 minutes

yea try to turn that one down

Phil
05-27-2007, 08:41 PM
hey phil

i triple doggie dare you to take an ice bath for at least 15 minutes

yea try to turn that one down

It really depends who else is in the tub...(and it better not be serve it hard!). I'd take one, but...I worry...about...well, my heart! Yeah, that's it...I'm worried that as soon as I settle in, my ticker will explode! Sorry, can't risk it.;)

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 11:10 PM
It really depends who else is in the tub...(and it better not be serve it hard!). I'd take one, but...I worry...about...well, my heart! Yeah, that's it...I'm worried that as soon as I settle in, my ticker will explode! Sorry, can't risk it.;)

Coward.

What if your tub mate was your new friend, alwayatnet? Would that get you into the water?

Actually, you are probably smart to avoid taking an ice bath. They say it's as risky as walking on a beach in a thunderstorm, and only those of us with a death wish partake in such craziness. Odds are 50-50 that Bodacious ta ta's is dead within a month.

El Guapo
05-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Ice baths have nothing to do with injuries. If you're not playing hard enough, long enough day after day, you won't benefit from them anyway. It makes a big difference in helping keep the legs fresh. For injuries, you should always ice directly on the affected area.

xtremerunnerars
05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
It saved me at the end of cross country season. It really is not that bad, actually. Just fill the tub and put some ice in. When it feels too cold, get in! My legs were so worn out but it gave me new life. Ran my fastest times of the season and smoked quite a few kids who I was previously unable to beat.

After a while, it actually feels warm for some reason.

Ronaldo
05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Seems like ice baths are an NFL staple.

Serve 'em hard
05-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Seems like ice baths are an NFL staple.

Just got out of a nice ice bath about an hour ago, heart attack-less and feeling much better after two punishing hours of making unforced errors. I wish it was easier to make the water colder though -- a couple of trays of ice cubes, frozen water bottles, and cold tap doesn't seem cold enough after the first couple of shocking minutes.

I thank this thread for reminding me of this activity. It really is addictive in a funny way...

Ronaldo
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Just got out of a nice ice bath about an hour ago, heart attack-less and feeling much better after two punishing hours of making unforced errors. I wish it was easier to make the water colder though -- a couple of trays of ice cubes, frozen water bottles, and cold tap doesn't seem cold enough after the first couple of shocking minutes.

I thank this thread for reminding me of this activity. It really is addictive in a funny way...

Addictive, eh?

I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the ice it burns a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything
what have I become?
my sweetest friend
ice, ice baby

Serve 'em hard
05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Addictive, eh?

I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the ice it burns a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything
what have I become?
my sweetest friend
ice, ice baby

Yes. But apparently not as addictive as whatever your taking.:p

Ronaldo
05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes. But apparently not as addictive as whatever your taking.:p

It ain't an ice bath, brah!

Ronaldo
05-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Btw, butt funny how, I mean funny like a clown, it amuses you? It makes you laugh, It's there to f'n amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How is it funny?

Serve 'em hard
05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Btw, butt funny how, I mean funny like a clown, it amuses you? It makes you laugh, It's there to f'n amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How is it funny?

Well, um, I just meant you were funny... ya know, the way you tell a story... it's funny...

slewisoh
05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been rehabbing my wrist for 5 months now following significant surgery in January, and NOT ONCE did I apply ice to the area. My surgeon believes ice is detrimental to the healing process and instead uses heat to increase bloodflow to the area and promote healing. He prescribed anti-inflammatories and movement to control pain and swelling.

As I recall there was someone on these boards from Chicago who successfully used heat instead of ice to deal with an achilles problem.

All I know is I'm ahead of schedule with my recovery...

Serve 'em hard
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I've been rehabbing my wrist for 5 months now following significant surgery in January, and NOT ONCE did I apply ice to the area. My surgeon believes ice is detrimental to the healing process and instead uses heat to increase bloodflow to the area and promote healing. He prescribed anti-inflammatories and movement to control pain and swelling.

As I recall there was someone on these boards from Chicago who successfully used heat instead of ice to deal with an achilles problem.

I'm glad to hear you are coming along. 5 months is a long time to be out. Sorry to hear it...

As for treatment, it's possible your doctor is a trailblazer and will be proven right someday, but I'm pretty sure he is in the minority in regarding ice as detrimental to the healing process. I've been to a couple of orthos for various injuries, and several PT's too, and while some of these injury specialists believed in alternating ice and heat, they all believed in ice as a key healing ingredient, and the more important one. Everything I've read everywhere else seems to suggest most PT and doctors feel as mine did about the benefits of ice.

El Guapo
05-31-2007, 06:35 AM

Exactly what medical program did your surgeon graduate from? He thinks that ice is bad but prescribes anti-inflammatories? You either had a very deep surgery where the cooling effects of ice would not reach or your surgeon is a bid misguided.

I agree that ice is NOT a healing agent. Ice is useful immediately after an injury to decrease the effect of the injury and thus decrease amount of time needed to heal. ie, the more swelling and inflammation that an injury causes, the longer the healing time.

Serve 'em hard
05-31-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree that ice is NOT a healing agent. Ice is useful immediately after an injury to decrease the effect of the injury and thus decrease amount of time needed to heal. ie, the more swelling and inflammation that an injury causes, the longer the healing time.

Everything I'm reading and being told my professionals is that ice is useful for weeks and months after an initial injury, not only just in the immediate aftermath. Presumably it continues to have some perceived benefit long after the initial injury, or so many people wouldn't be recommending its prolonged use.

slewisoh
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I know that heat is not the standard protocol, and I admit I was dubious at first...but it is difficult to argue with results.

I'm curious about the negative comment regarding anti-inflammatories. Why would this be a poor option for controlling inflammation, as opposed to using ice? I used medication immediately after surgery and for the first several weeks of physical therapy.

And yes, my surgeon is widely regarded as the top hand specialist at the Cleveland Clinic. I feel fortunate to have been on the receiving end of his expertise.

And I can tell you the warm soaks were a lot more enjoyable than than an ice bath. ;)

Supernatural_Serve
05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
If a gruelling professional 2 or 3 hour singles match every other day for 2 weeks isn't going to cause a heart attack, then I doubt the ice baths will.

You have to consider the heart healthiness of the individual to begin with.

I apply ice to my elbow and shoulder after hitting. It reduces inflamation and speeds recovery time. It also helps keep tennis elbow at bay.

I can't imagine needing anything other than maybe my feet or knees being iced for any reason. So, I don't understand why immersing many parts of my body in ice water would help anything but cause a massive decrease of blood from the skin organ to the internal organs.

I wouldn't recommend sticking your head into ice water. What could possibly be inflamed up there except the ego.

El Guapo
05-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Everything I'm reading and being told my professionals is that ice is useful for weeks and months after an initial injury, not only just in the immediate aftermath. Presumably it continues to have some perceived benefit long after the initial injury, or so many people wouldn't be recommending its prolonged use.
Please explain exactly what injury you're talking about that has taken months to resolve and wasn't a chronic recurrent injury like a tennis elbow, sore shoulder, torn meniscus, etc.

Serve 'em hard
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Please explain exactly what injury you're talking about that has taken months to resolve and wasn't a chronic recurrent injury like a tennis elbow, sore shoulder, torn meniscus, etc.

Where do I start? Shoulders, back, elbows, calf. Sometimes there isn't always a fine line between acute and chronic injuries, and regardless of whether I tore a calf on a particular play, or developed TE over a few weeks time, frequent icing has generally been advised.

Serve 'em hard
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
If a gruelling professional 2 or 3 hour singles match every other day for 2 weeks isn't going to cause a heart attack, then I doubt the ice baths will.

You have to consider the heart healthiness of the individual to begin with.

I apply ice to my elbow and shoulder after hitting. It reduces inflamation and speeds recovery time. It also helps keep tennis elbow at bay.

I can't imagine needing anything other than maybe my feet or knees being iced for any reason. So, I don't understand why immersing many parts of my body in ice water would help anything but cause a massive decrease of blood from the skin organ to the internal organs.

I wouldn't recommend sticking your head into ice water. What could possibly be inflamed up there except the ego.

You can't understand why immersing many body parts in ice would be helpful, yet you can easily imagine needing ice for your feet, and your knees, and your elbow, and your shoulder after playing tennis?

Don't know what your math background is, but four body parts comes pretty damn close to adding up to "many".

Serve 'em hard
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
And I can tell you the warm soaks were a lot more enjoyable than than an ice bath. ;)

Have you ever taken an ice bath? You might actually like it.;)

Thud and blunder
07-16-2007, 05:09 AM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/freeze_wideweb__470x319,2.jpg

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/freeze-a-jolly-cold-fellow/2007/07/16/1184559678719.html

chess9
07-16-2007, 05:51 AM

What other stuff are you doing for fitness? I assume you are getting enough of your family? ;)

Good luck, babe!

-Robert

chess9
07-16-2007, 05:52 AM

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/freeze-a-jolly-cold-fellow/2007/07/16/1184559678719.html

I'm assuming that WAS photoshopped.... Sweet pic.

-Robert

Thud and blunder
07-16-2007, 12:16 PM
You mean with the curvature of the Earth visible? I think you can get that effect with a fisheye lens.

MTChong
07-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm assuming that WAS photoshopped.... Sweet pic.

-Robert

I think that was real - read a snippet about how a British fellow was going to swim at the arctic ice caps (or some other really cold region) to raise awareness about global warming.

chess9
07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
You mean with the curvature of the Earth visible? I think you can get that effect with a fisheye lens.

Well, it's an awesome pic. I'm just learning photography, so I'm relatively unschooled in lenses.

-Robert

AlpineCadet
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Aaaah, what a refreshing dive!

slewisoh
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
What other stuff are you doing for fitness? I assume you are getting enough of your family? ;)

Good luck, babe!

-Robert

Well hello there, Robert. It's been quite some time since I was called babe - I think I like it!;)

Working at fitness as been a bit tricky and has required some patience on my part. I spent 10-12 weeks just recovering basic use of my right hand. During that time I was terrified at the thought of falling, so I spent zero time venturing out into the Cleveland ice and snow. I didn't even feel comfortable walking on the treadmill, as I could not catch myself with my right hand. Couldn't do yoga because it involves bearing weight in your hands, no cycling, no weight lifting...I'm a rotten swimmer to begin with, so the less than useful right forearm would have been a big problem.

Since April I've been walking and running on my treadmill and doing core work that doesn't involve my hand. In mid June I was able to incorporate light weights. Shoot, I even managed to do a few push ups the other day!

Will probably give tennis a try when the little darlin's head back to school in September.

On a separate note, I've been disturbed by reaction to the photo posted previously. Yes, it's a striking photo, but people seem to be missing the message. He's SWIMMING where he should be ICE FISHING!

TonLars
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I had glanced at this thread and decided to try a cold bath today, and added half a jug of ice into it also. Man, that is not too fun just shivering the whole time haha! Im still cold now and i took it over an hour ago. Hopefully it works

cj011
08-24-2007, 01:42 PM
No matter how dead I am. There are two things I can do that saves my ***. I will go do a light workout in the sauna do a long stretch. Another is I sit in the jacuzzi(sp) and then jump in a cold pool. For some goofy reason those work for me