PDA

View Full Version : rod laver hitting a reverse forehand

The Gorilla
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
2.22 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzbXvh64sY

who'da thunk it eh?

The man was soooo far ahead of his time.

kingdaddy41788
04-20-2007, 04:16 PM
How's that a reverse forehand?

The Gorilla
04-20-2007, 04:25 PM
he finishes over his left shoulder for extra topspin.

Guevin
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
That's the first time I've ever seen video of Laver playing and WOW! He was 39 at the time and Borg was 21 and Laver's really taking it to Borg, age difference be damned

Laver is incredibly quick too, as evidenced by that get at 1:46, very light on his feet, man great movement, awesome net play, holy crap was he good.

brandonht
04-21-2007, 10:56 AM
my first time seeing him play too

amazing

TennisandMusic
04-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Everytime I see guys playing with wooden racquets, I think tennis back in the day was way more entertaining to watch. Not only that I think these guys look far more skilled than what we are watching today, and I'm 26 years old. My earliest memories are not of the wooden racquet era, even though I grew up playing with one. I think a return to wood would be the best thing imaginable for the sport. It's not going to happen but to me it's fairly obvious which version of the game is superior...Oh well.

The Gorilla
04-21-2007, 11:42 AM
you think that was good, have alook at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyV7rLGSPzA

CyBorg
04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Laver's really taking it to Borg, age difference be damned

He's not. Borg won the match.

Guevin
04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
He's not. Borg won the match.

The end result doesn't change the fact that Laver was taking it to him on some of those points.

The Gorilla thanks for that 2nd link with Vilas & Connors, that Vilas passing shot at 1:02 was mind-blowing! Not only for him to get to it, but to pull off that kind of a shot, amazing!

Anyone who thinks that back in the day they were just weakily hitting it around should watch these clips which definitely show otherwise, that's some high quality stuff.

morten
04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Everytime I see guys playing with wooden racquets, I think tennis back in the day was way more entertaining to watch. Not only that I think these guys look far more skilled than what we are watching today, and I'm 26 years old. My earliest memories are not of the wooden racquet era, even though I grew up playing with one. I think a return to wood would be the best thing imaginable for the sport. It's not going to happen but to me it's fairly obvious which version of the game is superior...Oh well.

I agree! A shame....

Polaris
04-22-2007, 01:49 PM
you think that was good, have alook at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyV7rLGSPzA
Man, Vilas's backhand passing shots look awesome in those highlights.

grizzly4life
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
both those youtube's are great stuff..

i'd never seen laver before and i love his game...... his physique is pretty funny. that old-time muscular build.

i had seen vilas before but i was so young... that is an amazing passing shot.... also, does vilas play the first point on the youtube with the ball in his hand? that's really old-school and i think he did but i wasn't sure.

BTW, if i buy either or both of these video's, will they look alot better than these youtubes? because i enjoy watching them but laver/borg is pretty dark and connors/vilas is pretty washed-out (don't get me wrong, i'm just happy they're still around)

The Gorilla
04-22-2007, 05:38 PM
both those youtube's are great stuff..

i'd never seen laver before and i love his game...... his physique is pretty funny. that old-time muscular build.

i had seen vilas before but i was so young... that is an amazing passing shot.... also, does vilas play the first point on the youtube with the ball in his hand? that's really old-school and i think he did but i wasn't sure.

BTW, if i buy either or both of these video's, will they look alot better than these youtubes? because i enjoy watching them but laver/borg is pretty dark and connors/vilas is pretty washed-out (don't get me wrong, i'm just happy they're still around)

jesus!, I think you're right!

VikingSamurai
04-23-2007, 05:04 AM
People say that J Mac is the most talented player to pick up a racquet.... But Rod Laver proves that Mac was only a pretender..

OrangeOne
04-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Can you imagine, just for a second, these guys, in their prime, with modern racquets? Give them 100 inch Babos back then, and just imagine what the tennis would have looked like.

Mind blowing.

VikingSamurai
04-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Orange, someone above said that even though Laver took it to Borg. He still won..

That is true, but at 39 or what ever Laver was at this stage. You could still see that it was natural talent and not human endurance that was the Laver game at that stage.. So it really does say something for him..

I say to the Borg lover. If Borg had of met Laver in 1969, then I dare say it wouldnt be pretty to watch.. But in saying that. Borg definately was a great player of his time..

I just got my hands on Laver V Newcombe Wimbledon final 1969 and the Rosewall V Conners 1974 Final.. A must for all tennis fans... Laver in his prime. And Rosewall still proving he had it against the young gun in 1974..

Rabbit
04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Rosewall made the finals of Wimbledon & the US Open in '74 and did great at 39. But, he didn't take anything to Connors. Connors won two of the most lopsided Grand Slam finals in history against Rosewall.

Moose Malloy
04-23-2007, 04:14 PM
does vilas play the first point on the youtube with the ball in his hand? that's really old-school and i think he did but i wasn't sure.

Graf kept the ball in her hand in some matches she played in the 80s.

Rosewall made the finals of Wimbledon & the US Open in '74 and did great at 39. But, he didn't take anything to Connors. Connors won two of the most lopsided Grand Slam finals in history against Rosewall.

I watched the '74 W Final recently & it was a lot closer than the score. Many games were multiple deuces. Also Rosewall had a pretty grueling road to the finals in both events, played multiple 4 & 5 setters.

Moose Malloy
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM

i had seen vilas before but i was so young.

just curious, when did you start playing tennis? your profile says your age & I'm guessing you were in your 20s when Vilas was on tour?

The Gorilla
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
moose, could you upload some clips of ille nastase pls?

serveitup911
04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Wow, terrible sportsmanship by Vilas against Connors. He gets the linesman to change his call on match point, then doesn't shake Connors' hand.

Great tennis though.

The Gorilla
04-23-2007, 05:41 PM
connors was no angel himself.

Solat
04-24-2007, 01:11 AM
pfft that backhand pass pwned :D

Andres
04-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Wow, terrible sportsmanship by Vilas against Connors. He gets the linesman to change his call on match point, then doesn't shake Connors' hand.

Great tennis though.
That wasn't how it happened.
Vilas was interviewed in a TV show in TyC Sports (I think there are 5 clips of that on youtube), and Vilas said something like: "after the match, I spoke with the linesman, to see what happened with that last call (which was clearly out), why did you wait that long to call it out? and he said "for 5 seconds, I wanted to be the most important thing in the world. Everyone's eyes was on me! For 5 seconds, I felt like God"

Didn't catch the no-handshake though. Gotta check it again, but I remember the crowd went wild, and lifted him in their shoulders... he doesn't shake his hand at all?

Andres
04-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Nope, the video doesn't show it, but it's also cropped, too.
Maybe he shook his hands later, don't know. But it would've been quite rude if he doesn't shake his opponent's hand after a GS win...

grizzly4life
04-24-2007, 09:07 AM
just curious, when did you start playing tennis? your profile says your age & I'm guessing you were in your 20s when Vilas was on tour?

if vilas was 1977, i would have been 8 or 9...... does my profile have an age in it? i don't remember putting one in and then it would be wrong..... so i wasn't even born during prime laver, although i didn't know he played events (exhibitions??) for so long afterwards.

urban
04-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Moose is right about the Connors-Rosewall match at Wimbledon. OK, Rosewall was beaten fair and square, but going by my memory, it was closer than the score indicates. Rosewall had his chances on the connors' serve, even had 2 breaks, but had problems with his own serve (and the Connors' return). Even late in the game, it looked possible, that Rosewall could rose from the dead (what he did in the semi vs. Smith). Rosewall had always more problems with good returners (like Hoad and Laver in their prime), than serve-and- volleyers. Another guy, who gave him trouble at Wimbledon (1971) was Cliff Richey, a short, stocky, muscular fighter (called "the Bull"), who played a Connors-like game before Connors' time.

Moose Malloy
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Connors left the court immediately(didn't come back for the awards ceremony either) so Vilas didn't get a chance to shake his hand. Vilas has joked about it a few years ago in interviews, "I'm still waiting to shake Jimmy's hand!"

moose, could you upload some clips of ille nastase pls?

I'm not that computer literate. I don't even know how to duplicate my dvds.

if vilas was 1977, i would have been 8 or 9...... does my profile have an age in it?

Your profile says your 48;)

BTW, if i buy either or both of these video's, will they look alot better than these youtubes?

I have both matches, quality is a lot better than youtube. I've noticed that sound makes a big difference in how one perceives the pace of the game on video. Many of the older matches had very poor sound, which I think is a factor in why so many current fans mock the game of the past as being slow. A Santoro slice backhand sounds harder hit than a Borg forehand on some of the dvds I have! I have 2 versions of the Borg-Mac '80 wimbledon final, one from NBC, one from BBC, & the NBC version sounds like they are hitting much harder.

The Gorilla
04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
well if you

(1)go to http://www.youtube.com

(2)register http://www.youtube.com/signup

(3)select the upload button on the top right hand corner below the search bar

(4)browse and select the video file you want to upload

(5)Add key words in the box that allows you to do so, these are words which register with the search engine, for example in the vilas- connors us open final video I posted a link to, the key words are : guillermo, vilas, connors, usopen, tennis.

When people type these words into the search bar the uploaded file with the closest match to the search words will come up, followed by the file that has the second most key words in common with the search words.

It's actually very easy and user friendly on youtube.

The Gorilla
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
. .

stormholloway
04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Vilas clearly went to the net to shake hands. Then he was hoisted up on the shoulders of his fans.

Nothing unsportsmanlike there. Vilas was unbelievable in that match. Seems like the US Open on clay would have been Borg's year though.

Moose Malloy
04-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Nothing unsportsmanlike there. Vilas was unbelievable in that match. Seems like the US Open on clay would have been Borg's year though.

Borg was seeded to play Vilas in the semis that year, but had to retire with an injured shoulder in his 4th round match. Lucky Vilas;)

Moose Malloy
04-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Gorilla, I took a look at your links. All I have are dvds & vhs copies of my matches, how do I convert them to the file formats? I really don't understand how this stuff works.

If you want, you can purchase nastase matches from that site grizzly mentioned, they are very cheap. I recommend his match with Ashe in the '72 US Open final.

The Gorilla
04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Oh, sorry m8, I thought you had them as files on your computer.I'm sure Laurie would be more than happy to help you out though.

Andres
04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Connors left the court immediately(didn't come back for the awards ceremony either) so Vilas didn't get a chance to shake his hand. Vilas has joked about it a few years ago in interviews, "I'm still waiting to shake Jimmy's hand!"
Then, it was Jimmy's fault, not Willy's :p