PDA

View Full Version : Recent footage of Connors' hitting

Moose Malloy
04-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Not bad for a 55 year old with a hip replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFvYMpuJLI&mode=related&search=

BigboyDan
04-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Still hits out front more than any other; and still using that solid throat racquet.

jmsx521
04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Purple courts... must've been in Miami!

drakulie
04-20-2007, 03:47 PM
3.0 player at best.

chiru
04-20-2007, 04:45 PM
3.0 player at best.

You're kidding me right?

Mick
04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
it's hard to say how well Jimmy could play from watching that clip because his partner gave him very easy balls: low speed balls and they all landed in the middle of the court.

drakulie
04-20-2007, 05:45 PM
You're kidding me right?

No. Why? You disagree?

Arafel
04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
No. Why? You disagree?

You're on drugs if you think Connors is a 3.0 player. I'll bet he could still be competitive on the seniors tour. Look at his footwork.

drakulie
04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
^^^ OK, maybe I was being a bit harsh. Would you agree with 3.5?

BounceHitBounceHit
04-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Did you notice all three balls were on his side when he went up to the net? Obviously inconsistent. I gotta back Drak up here: 3.0. ;) CC

drakulie
04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
^^^Thanks CC! I was hoping someone who pays attention to detail, with a keen eye such as yourself, would chime in here and back me up. :)

Ronny
04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
hes still using the prince mono

Arafel
04-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Only if you'll back off your claim of being a 4.5 and admit you're a 1.5. I saw your vids. Connors would smoke you without breaking a sweat

BigboyDan
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, obviously he's not in playing shape, but if he were to be, and he mentally prepared himself for competitive play... 5.5 - 6.0

bluegrasser
04-21-2007, 03:40 AM

Come on Drak, give Connors an audience and he'd smoke your *****...

Rabbit
04-21-2007, 04:15 AM
In any event, Connors' movement looked really good. He is light on his feet and looked like he was really able to move well.

Jules
04-21-2007, 04:16 AM
The video is from a practice session at the sony ericsson 2007...it's conners, roddick, courier and a fourth player i really can't identify...here's another part of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5n_OhDlVAA&mode=related&search=

federerfanatic
04-21-2007, 05:16 AM
He does look darn good. Maybe he is prepping himself for another Battle of the Sexes statement against womens tennis, ala Bobby Riggs. :) jk

drakulie
04-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Only if you'll back off your claim of being a 4.5 and admit you're a 1.5.

OK, I admit it. I am a 1.5.

So we are in agreement then>>>>>>. He is a 3.5.

drakulie
04-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Come on Drak, give Connors an audience and he'd smoke your *****...

Of course he would smoke me>>>. He is a 3.5 and I am a 1.5

PBODY99
04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
He is only 54 & 1/2 in this video, Sept birthday you know. :)
There is a reason a reason beyond pain management we get our joints replaced. You can get most of your former footwork back.
The Mono is another frame that only Jimmy could play with at the highest level.

Bottle Rocket
04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
It is interesting watching that video.

If someone posted that video without telling us who that was and all you saw was the guy hitting and the court, I'll bet he would get tourn apart here. He really would be called a 3.0 and 3.5 judged purely on his mechanics.

Goes to show you how little it means to have pretty strokes... Got to have results!

Thanks for posting those.

drakulie
04-22-2007, 09:17 PM

If someone posted that video without telling us who that was and all you saw was the guy hitting and the court, I'll bet he would get tourn apart here. He really would be called a 3.0 and 3.5 judged purely on his mechanics.

Goes to show you how little it means to have pretty strokes... Got to have results!

Agreed, which is why I said 3.0 player at best. I can't believe some people took me serious. LOL

Slazenger
04-22-2007, 09:41 PM

OMG a ha a ha ha ha

VikingSamurai
04-23-2007, 04:08 AM

The problem with that point is.. That anyone that is older than 30 will know strait away that the guy in that video is Conners, purely just because of the way he hits the ball..

Its just a shame that today we are forced to watch the bashers that all look the same.. Even if you go back say 10 years.. You could always tell the players by their individual style.. Now, its like ho hum, another baseliner......

Pro Staff Pete
04-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Lol you can hear Nadal grunt in the background.

ericsson
04-23-2007, 05:04 AM
can someone please explain me that ranking thing in the US???
what's a beginner and what's a pro :confused:

Gugafan_Redux
04-23-2007, 12:31 PM
can someone please explain me that ranking thing in the US???
what's a beginner and what's a pro :confused:

Welcome to the interwebs. Have a look around.

from http://www.thetennisconnection.com/mainpages/NTPRratingdescripts.html

General Characteristics of Various NTRP Playing Levels
0.0 N/A

1.0 No playing experience.

1.5Player has limited playing experience and is working primarily on getting the ball into play.

2.0Player needs on-court experience and has obvious stroke weaknesses. Player is familiar with basic positions for singles and doubles play.

2.5Player has weak court coverage and is still learning to judge where the ball is going. Player can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the simalar ability.

3.0Player is fairly consistent when hitting medium paced shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes. Player lacks execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.

3.5Player has achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but still lacks depth and variety. Player exhibits more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage, and is developing teamwork in doubles.

4.0Player has dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success. Player occasionally forces errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

4.5 Player has developed use of power and spin and can handle pace, has sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and is starting to vary game plan according to opponents. Player can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. Player tends to over hit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

5.0Player has good shot anticipation and frequently has an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. Player can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys, can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and has good depth and spin on most 2nd serves.

5.5Player has mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. Player can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hits dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0Player typically has had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and has obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

7.0 +Player is a world-class player competing in nationally recognized events.

ericsson
04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks a lot gugafan!

VikingSamurai
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
See, this where I have trouble with this.. If I was to go by these levels, then I definately was a 6. But because I gave up for so long, does that still make me a six?. I understand I dont get the practice I need to anymore, and I dont attend any institutions or play any tournaments anymore. But I still know how to hit a tennis ball like I used to.. So where does that put me now that I am a once a week player? To me, tennis is riding a bike. You never forget, but do admit that my intensity is now lower...

steveq81
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Connors never was one to waste a lot of effort on the court, and he still looks much the same.

I would think that players of Connors' era would tend to hold up a tad better than some of today's players will when they reach their 50's. Not saying that players were better then, but I have a hard time envisioning Nadal hitting his forehand the way he does now when he's 55.

Andres
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I'm with you drak.
It could be a slugfest against wyutani, for example!
The battles of the styles!

Connors (precision and power baselining) against Wyutani (every style existing, non existing, and to-exist-in-the-future). He's an "ultra aggressive style" player now! :D

Moose Malloy
04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Its interesting that in tennis you can rate former pros by how they look at 55. I wonder if Dr J can still dunk or play basketball reasonably well. If not, I doubt my local high school b'ball team would dare to compare themselves to him, or think that they are 'better' in some way.

chrisdaniel
04-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Connors looks great.. If he were not Connors I would still say Hey that Guy plays great..He is 55 and his Footwork is still there,and those signature shots still look very familiar.

sarpmas
04-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Not bad for a 55 year old with a hip replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFvYMpuJLI&mode=related&search=
What racket is Connors using?

ericsson
04-27-2007, 12:21 AM
What racket is Connors using?

a prince mono...

sarpmas
04-27-2007, 12:46 AM
^^^ Thanks ericsson. I suspected that. Personally, I thought that was one of the worst gimmick technology from Prince (My bad for being judgmental having not playing with this racket before). That's why it surprises me when I see Connors using this racket and some coaches too. I must be missing something...

ericsson
04-27-2007, 01:00 AM
^^^ Thanks ericsson. I suspected that. Personally, I thought that was one of the worst gimmick technology from Prince (My bad for being judgmental having not playing with this racket before). That's why it surprises me when I see Connors using this racket and some coaches too. I must be missing something...

it looks kinda strange, i really can't imagine it plays very solid or stable...

slice bh compliment
04-27-2007, 04:11 AM

If someone posted that video without telling us who that was and all you saw was the guy hitting and the court, I'll bet he would get tourn apart here. He really would be called a 3.0 and 3.5 judged purely on his mechanics.....

Sad. But true. People would rag on his straight arms and his pendulum preparation, and how inefficient it is. And people would wonder why a 50something is using two hands for a backhand.
"Chump." "3.0 strokes with 5.0 footwork." Probably "no serve" (which is sorta of true).

Then someone would point out that it's Jimmy Connors, and that person would condescendingly provide a link to prove it.

Then someone would say, "pwned". "GeniOUS" (sic), or "legend".
Then two or three guys would argue over the intricacies of his racquet's swingweight, his string set-up and his lead tape configuration.

Agreed, which is why I said 3.0 player at best. I can't believe some people took me serious. LOL

Okay mister South Flaarida hotshot, don't get it? Sarcasm will not be tolerated here.

zapvor
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Of course he would smoke me>>>. He is a 3.5 and I am a 1.5

LOL. i have never seen you play but you got a pretty good serve....for a 1.5;)

Mick
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM

I just got mine from UPS. Will test it out tomorrow . Don't know how well it will hit but this racquet looks mighty cool . I think it's the coolest looking racquet that i have :D

http://i11.tinypic.com/5yk1vsg.jpg

Harry_Wild
08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I have owned the Prince Mono before and it does not have alot of power at all! Kind of light; maybe 10 ozs. It was not a racket that I became accustom to use and keep. Never figure out how Jimmy turned to this racket after using the T2000 most of his career. It has like a 95 or 98 sq. in head size. It like the complete opposite of the T2000!

Mick
08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
you are right, it feels so light !
I have not used it yet, I feared I might scratch it :)

Mike Bulgakov
08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I watched Connors play his last QF match, in S.F. right before he retired. Agassi played the next match. Connors was a stud with his returns. Agassi, though in his prime, did not stand above him that night.

RB
08-19-2007, 05:51 AM
I still use the Mono---it is 11.8 oz----Jimmy also used a leather grip and some lead tape at the top of the hoop on this racquet. (PUTs it over 12 oz)

He also strung it very loosely with gut----@ 43 -45 lbs---try that congiuration if you like to hit the ball deep and flat---its Great!

Got all of this info from Jimmy's assistant at a Senior event and also was confirmed by the stringer.

joe sch
08-19-2007, 06:58 AM
The vid showed the classic Connors footwork, mvmt, energy, and 2handed backhand !
And he was hitting with the prince mono racket. There was no sign of hip replacement. Thanks for posting this video, those glimpses still show world class form

jetlee2k
08-19-2007, 08:17 PM
he's still awesome with his footwork and the timing.. Looks how he time the ball so up front and his eyes still focus on it.. After a few days, he would kill any 5.0+ player anytime.. I've seen some other pro player haven't play for years came out like Jim Grabb and kill the national Davis Cup junior player.... Timing is everything in this sport

superman1
08-20-2007, 04:04 AM
I watched Connors play his last QF match, in S.F. right before he retired. Agassi played the next match. Connors was a stud with his returns. Agassi, though in his prime, did not stand above him that night. How will Agassi play when he is Connor's age?

Better than anyone else at that age. Agassi's game lends itself to the newer racquets better than Connors' does, which is why he seemed to hit the ball better and better throughout the years. In his retirement he's still better off both wings than anyone on tour, he just can't cover the court anymore.

Mick
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I still use the Mono---it is 11.8 oz----Jimmy also used a leather grip and some lead tape at the top of the hoop on this racquet. (PUTs it over 12 oz)

He also strung it very loosely with gut----@ 43 -45 lbs---try that congiuration if you like to hit the ball deep and flat---its Great!

Got all of this info from Jimmy's assistant at a Senior event and also was confirmed by the stringer.

Wow that sure is loose. I strung it at 60 lbs and it feels great for my playing style. It has more power than I thought considering how light it is. Some people on the board commented that the racquet did not feel solid but I found it to be just as solid as the frames with the conventional design.

Mick
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
he's still awesome with his footwork and the timing.. Looks how he time the ball so up front and his eyes still focus on it.. After a few days, he would kill any 5.0+ player anytime.. I've seen some other pro player haven't play for years came out like Jim Grabb and kill the national Davis Cup junior player.... Timing is everything in this sport

This was how Jimmy Connors played 31 years ago:

1976 US Open Final (http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4yet0zn)

dennis10is
08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't know who this Connors is but judging by his strokes, if he was younger, say 25 instead for 55, he would be number 2 singles on my Men's 4.0 team.

Old stroke mechanics, not a lot of power, bad footwork, looks like he's too far back, too defensive, not enough topspin. Looks like he pushed the ball. Seems to mis-judged the bounce of the ball frequently, especially on the backhand.

On second though, he probably can't return serves. I'll probably play him as my 2 and 3 doubles.

He also lacks intensity. Talks too much while hitting. I would question his competitive instincts. Was he hitting with a junior girl? His daughter?

Who is this Connors?

No, I would start him in a 3.5 team and see.

Mick
08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Who is this Connors?

He's the guy with 133 singles tournament wins.
To date, Federer has 50.

"Connors was the world's number one player for 160 consecutive weeks from July 1974 to August 1977. He was also the World No. 1 player an additional 8 times during his career. He won eight Grand Slam singles titles and two Grand Slam doubles titles. He is considered to be one of the top male tennis players of all time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Connors#Career_singles_titles_.28133.29_and_ runner-ups_.2854.29

dennis10is
08-21-2007, 02:34 PM
He's the guy with 133 singles tournament wins.
To date, Federer has 50.

"Connors was the world's number one player for 160 consecutive weeks from July 1974 to August 1977. He was also the World No. 1 player an additional 8 times during his career. He won eight Grand Slam singles titles and two Grand Slam doubles titles. He is considered to be one of the top male tennis players of all time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Connors#Career_singles_titles_.28133.29_and_ runner-ups_.2854.29

Thanks for the info, he's old school, cannot compare to the modern game. But, I woud try him in the number 1 singles on my 3.5 men's team. With our double bend, extreme western, pull swing, open stance, light weight racket, polyester string, Dri-Fit clothing he would not stand a chance.

With the technique that my team and I have learned from the poster here, I'm sure that I can beat him 2 and 3.

boobik2371
08-21-2007, 03:56 PM
its excatly like watchingmy coach play except with a onehanded backhand

_skunk_
08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
I don't know who this Connors is but judging by his strokes, if he was younger, say 25 instead for 55, he would be number 2 singles on my Men's 4.0 team.

Old stroke mechanics, not a lot of power, bad footwork, looks like he's too far back, too defensive, not enough topspin. Looks like he pushed the ball. Seems to mis-judged the bounce of the ball frequently, especially on the backhand.

On second though, he probably can't return serves. I'll probably play him as my 2 and 3 doubles.

He also lacks intensity. Talks too much while hitting. I would question his competitive instincts. Was he hitting with a junior girl? His daughter?

Who is this Connors?

No, I would start him in a 3.5 team and see.

I think and hope that this post is a just a tentative to be ironic

J011yroger
08-22-2007, 03:25 AM
I think and hope that this post is a just a tentative to be ironic

Dennis is serious...you don't know how good the Dri-Fit clothing makes us.

Put that old timer in some shorts, and he might be able to challenge his way onto the 4.0 team.

J

arnz
08-22-2007, 03:38 AM
A hip replacement is serious business. I dont think he would really consider playing singles now, he wouldnt get to the dropshot. Not that he cant, I just dont think his doctor would let him do it LOL. Just hitting like that is pretty amazing.