PDA

View Full Version : Missing the sweetarea on topspin shots

kickingbird
09-15-2004, 11:05 PM
When I try and hit a ball with good topspin, I often have trouble hitting the sweetarea of my racquet. It produces an OK shot nevertheless, but I just know that I didn't hit the right spot. And I do swing pretty fast, as I hate holding back on shots.

Are there any good (mental) approaches that I can employ eg. try and hit the ball near the top edge of the frame and you will naturally hit the centre or something...? Am I uncoiling my knees and launching into the shot too early? What are the common errors?

Thank you!

kickingbird
09-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh and it might be worth mentioning that when I do miss the sweetarea of the racquet, I usually end up hitting close to the bottom edge of the frame. The worst I've done is frame it completely off the bottom edge, although people tell me that hitting it off the top edge of the racquet might be more common.

Cigo
09-16-2004, 03:55 AM
I think knowing the size of the patch of strings that is actually making contact with the ball is rather important here. If it's not much bigger then when you hit flat then just aiming with the sweet spot will be enough. Now is there anyone who knows the size of the patch? Of cource this depends on the amount of topspin, right?

Smashlob
09-16-2004, 05:56 AM
Are you lifting your head up right before you make contact with the ball? This could lead to the problems that you are describing. Make sure you keep your head down and watch the ball hit the strings..

Exxion
09-16-2004, 07:37 PM
I do that sometimes too, when ball bounces shorter than I anticipated. I think what happens is that I meet teh ball too early. This plus the fact that I'm going low to high will make the ball hit the strings near the bottom of frame. What you could do is hit through the ball more than low to high. Or, you can try to meet the ball later

kickingbird
09-17-2004, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

Lifting my head and taking the ball too far infront... yes, this could be an issue. I will try and take it later and closer to my body- great advice, thanks!!! If this thread stays alive until 3 days time, I'll post results!

Bungalo Bill
09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I would guess your swinging too fast. You are also trying to hard to add the topspin which causes an imbalance from a very fast swing and the amount of time the ball is really in the area of your sweetspot at contact.

Slow down the swing and just concentrate on hitting the ball low to high for now. If you stick to this you will suddenly feel a new sensation on applying topspin.

the other thingis you are probably popping up to quickly, or lifting your shoulder from your fast swing which can throw off your swing path.