PDA

View Full Version : High forehands. how? what grip?

ShooterMcMarco
09-16-2004, 12:22 AM
I have had a problem with hitting balls that bounce high to my forehand side. What grip is recommended for this situation? How should the stroke be performed? I want to be able to hit them hard. I want to be able to drill them down the lines.

Rickson
09-16-2004, 05:48 AM
I use a semi western grip, but I don't swing low to high on high balls. I make contact with the face closed like this \, then I rip it for a winner.

sandro
09-16-2004, 06:12 AM
it's a typical example of a stroke that's judged easy (should be always a winner, isn't it?), but it's not often practiced... so practice, practice, practice...

Smashlob
09-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I agree with Sandro, this is a shot that needs to be hit, then again and again and again in practice. The way each person handles this varies, some will let it drop and hit it waist level, some will hit it up high, some on the short-hop. You need to find which method is comfortable for you in practice and to hit a basket full of these balls.

kevhen
09-16-2004, 07:18 AM
I have noticed with high (4'-6') slow balls hit to my forehand, when I go for a slight topspin winner, I often net the ball, so I have to force myself to continue to swing up on the ball when hitting high ones with with slight topspin. They look easier than they are but with practice, the right swing path can be learned.

Printer099
09-16-2004, 09:49 AM
I think the best way to deal with high balls is not let them get so high, step in and hit the ball at waist level before it gets to high (obvisouly this takes great timing and anticipation so you need to practice this). I would not ever reccomend even waiting for the ball to bounce and then hit in when it comes down because you are giving your opponent too much time to re-set.

I think good grips for hitting high balls if they get above your waist is with a semi western or full western. even if you cannot hit the ball at your waist then you can hit it at your shoulders, but if you hit the ball any higher than your shoulders you might have trouble and just want to block it back.

Also it is good to have shorter back swing on high balls which will make it easier to time them

finchy
09-16-2004, 10:37 AM
i use a full western grip on high balls to the forehand. and you should NOT want to drill them down the lines. you will have a less percentage chance of hitting it clean. you will most likely overhit or dump it into the net.

you just want to get the ball back in play at a respectable pace with alot of topspin. most likely a moon ball.

or just slice it back.

ShooterMcMarco
09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
you just want to get the ball back in play at a respectable pace with alot of topspin. most likely a moon ball.

or just slice it back.

yeah, right now i slice them back actually since i haven't developed the proper technique to hit them. i will experiment with the semi western because i am not too fond of the full western, it's a little too extreme for me 8)

mucat
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
my 1st choice is to hit it flat, then 2nd choice is topspin, then slice (I almost never). I use eastern fh, so I think it is a little easier for me to handle high ball. I found high backswing is a must for a flat shot. For a topspin, it depends on how must spin I want to put it, normal or low backswing for more topspin.