PDA

View Full Version : Teaching games for kids

vin
09-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Does anyone know of any good tennis games for 5 and 6 year old beginners? I think what's important is for the game to be fun so that it maintains interest and order and that it is easy enough for a little kid to do well.

Cigo
09-17-2004, 08:37 AM
You agains the kid in the mini tennis court. Toss the ball to either forehand or backhand, helps starting with just the forehand. All he/she has to do is hit the ball so that you can catch it, then you toss it right back. A point goes to you if you can't catch the ball and a point to the kid for everyone you catch. Can make it tougher by awarding one point for very two successful catches. This way you have direct control of the "rally", standing close enough to talk(important to highlight if he just hit a good shot, even at that age they can get very confident) and get a good workout yourself. :)

Rolling tennis balls at targets is simple and most kids enjoy it. This developes feel and does resemble a forehand stroke(to an extend). Build tennis ball pyraminds or put out ballcans as targets. They can also sit at the service line(or the net) and try to roll the ball as close to the baseline as possible.

atatu
09-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Tennis Volleyball, bring out a beach ball and let them rally back and forth with it. Tennis Basketball, get one of those kids hoops, set it up on the opposite baseline and have them drop and hit and try to make a basket. Tennis Baseball, let them bring their gloves, you toss balls to one kid while the other kids wait behind the opposite baseline trying to field the ball, the kid who catches a fly ball gets to have a turn hitting.

VTL
09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Have you thought of drills that include score keeping? Just anything will do as long as it's set up so that the kid can break his or her own personal record. I can see how some kids might not be interested, but for others it can be a fun way of improving.

kevhen
09-20-2004, 05:35 AM
I played my nephew who is 9, but basically a beginner and I gave him the whole court including doubles alleys to hit into, and half a doubles court to serve into and he only had to cover the front half of the singles court so I had to hit sort of short and soft and we had some decent rallies and he hit some nice winners too and he liked keeping score.