PDA

View Full Version : YOUR 1st serve %

sandro
09-16-2004, 05:29 AM
A couple of years ago I opted to develope a very consistent serve. Basically, just serving with good spin and placement (against my opponent's bh).
Recently I'm working back on a more powerful 1st serve (flatter), and get some easy point, but also get more errors when under pressure during matches.
Please note I play on slow surfaces (clay).

What about YOUR serve choice?

kevhen
09-16-2004, 05:46 AM
For me it depnds on my opponent and how much they attack my second serve. I probably serve about 60% first serves but can vary that from 50-75% depending on what types of serves my opponent struggles with. I hit a combination of flat, topspin, and slice serves. This spring I was hitting mostly flat and then coming with a hard topspin second serve but after too many DFs I have scaled back and now am hitting lots of slice since I notice everyone seems to struggle returning that when I hit it hard enough. I also tend to hit into the body for a higher serve percentage but will go for aces at times as well. I tend to use Eastern for flat serves up the T and then semi-continental for hard serves out wide on both sides. I use continental for slice and topspin serves. Serving is the most fun part of the game for me since I am in the most control of the point right then.

lendl lives
09-16-2004, 09:16 AM
hardest no spin flat serve: weaker opponent 50%, stronger opponent 30%

jayserinos99
09-16-2004, 09:16 AM
I typically serve kickers so unless I'm having an off day my first serve percentage is around 75%. I've never had a real big serve anyway so I choose to just use placement and spin to start off the point.

kevhen
09-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh, in doubles, I tend to crank up the topspin and slice serves and get closer to 75% first serves in. I will rip the flat serve when up 40-0 or 40-15. Usually the slower topspin serve with tons of spin will generate floaty returns that your partner can knock off at net. That is the joy of doubles, being able to set your partner up for an easy putaway.

TwistServe
09-16-2004, 12:02 PM
I usually do kickers or slices as 1st serves and always kickers on 2nd serves.. On a good day I'll get about 85% 1st serves in..

I'll hit a hard flat if I'm up 40-0, or if it's love-love.. I will never go for a flat if it's 30-30, 30-40, 15-30, etc... Why? Because my kickers have a high percentage of being unreturnable... and I dont want to risk double fault... I'll almost always make the 2nd kicker if the 1st one faults.. so I play the odds!

mistapooh
09-16-2004, 01:27 PM
topspin for my first serve, i dont even think about flat with my height :(

mucat
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I slice all my serve, and it is slow :oops:, so 1st serve % is high, 80%-90% , but it is a very defensive serve, the only saving grace is the spin, I can really jam the returner if he/she is not good at returning serve, but if I am playing against a good returner, I am toast big time.

TennsDog
09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
It depends on the day. On a good day I can hit up around 75% first serves in (and my first serve is no duff, I get plenty of free points). On average days I usually hit around 60%. I may start trying to improve my serve % if I start losing and need to get a point started well.

Mistapooh, you said you don't hit flat serves because you are too short. That is a myth that you have to be a certain height to hit flat serves. I was once told I am too short to hit flat serves, yet I hit them regularly and often for aces or service winners. It depends on how "flat" it actually is, your contact point, and how hard you hit it. I am 5'8" and I hit flat serves for about 15% of my first serves. I have been hitting them since I was only about 5'6". Unless you are like 4'6", you can hit a flat serve and be effective. It just takes practice.

andreh
09-17-2004, 01:31 AM
2/4 on an average day. But I could go higher if played it a bit safer. I usually go for pretty much on the first, both in terms of power and placement.

nyu
09-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm short(5'6) and don't have enough power on flat serves(107 mph tops)to justify hitting 35-40%, so I rely on getting a large % of 1st serves in(65-75% in most matches) with solid placement and differing spins to keep my opponents off-balance. Ironically, I get alot of free points off of my serves because my opponents think they can step in and attack(because I'm short), and then end up mishitting or getting aced out wide on a short angled kicker or slice as they move in. Also, my 2nd serve is hit just as hard as my first serve, only with more room for error in placement.