PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel

irishbanger
03-13-2004, 10:46 AM
To those of you who have this channel, is it any good? What kind of stuff do they have on it? Instructional, old matches? Are the announcers any good? Do they run the same commercials all the time?
I've got mixed feelings about it. Those of us that can't get it now have less tennis to watch because of the contracts the tournaments have with TTC. I'm still stunned that in a market with as much tennis as Phoenix that we don't have it. A thousand curses upon the programmer who made that decision.

Rabbit
03-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I love it. Right now, they're showing an entire afternoon of live tennis at Indian Wells. And, guess what, they're not cherry picking matches starring Roddick. They're showing the matches as they come. During the Masters in Houston, The Tennis Channel showed the doubles. TTC shows more doubles than anyone. They do have old matches. Currently, they're showing the old World Invitational Tennis Championships (WITC) series that ABC put on for a number of years. I remember that very fondly when I was in high school. The partcipants are Rod Laver, John Newcombe, Arthur Ashe, an 18 year old Bjorn Borg, a 19 year old Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Evonne Goolagong, and Virginia Wade. The participants changed every year, and it is well worth watching.

The instructional stuff appears to run a month and then change. It is good, geared toward beginners, but there are some good tips in there. One that I've picked up was on the forehand volley. I have a tendancy to swing at mine. The instructor on TTC said two thoughts, 1) make a target and 2) punch. The make a target thought keeps me from swinging.

I got the High Def option from Time Warner. TTC and 4 Fox Sports were an extra $5/month. I think I got a bargain.

Nosoupforyou
03-13-2004, 05:18 PM
It's very good, but there are tons of reruns