PDA

View Full Version : Silly me ...

predrag
09-16-2004, 09:46 AM
But I do not like Joachim Johanson's serve.

Sounds stupid, since he was the most effective server at the US Open, after Federer.

Still, I do not like his toss. He is tossing the ball into the court. What this does, is
prevents him from turning shoulders more, so he does not have uncoiling the upper body
into the shot.
Eventually he is way too open when he hits his serve.

His power comes from his legs (always a good thing) but if he had more of upper body rotation
he could add another 10mph to his serve.

And that would be really scary.

Opinions?

Regards, Predrag

Aoya
09-16-2004, 10:16 AM
JJ's toss is effective because although he still uncoils his upper body, it forces him to move into the court and push into the ball.

finchy
09-16-2004, 10:41 AM
arent you SUPPOSED to toss the ball out onto the court? it helps you get foreward momentum which equals more power in the serve.

predrag
09-16-2004, 10:48 AM
arent you SUPPOSED to toss the ball out onto the court? it helps you get foreward momentum which equals more power in the serve.

You are supposed to place the ball into the court, but I was trying to refer how it is placed.
Majority of ATP pros toss the ball with straight arm traveling parallel to the baseline.
Johanson tosses with his arm towards the net.

When your arm is moving parallel to the baseline, your shoulders stay turned much longer.

Regards, Predrag

predrag
09-16-2004, 10:50 AM
JJ's toss is effective because although he still uncoils his upper body, it forces him to move into the court and push into the ball.

He uncoils his hips. Not so much his shoulders.

Regards, Predrag

finchy
09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
ic ic predrag, thx for explaining. anyways, i think most of his power comes from his trunk and lower body, just like roddick.

i think tossing it into the court allows him to get into the court more, IMO. even though it sacrifices *fill in the blank*. its his style and it works, so why should he change it? even the slightest change like tossing parallel to the net would most likely mess up his toss position and timing.

predrag
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
[ship]
its his style and it works, so why should he change it? even the slightest change like tossing parallel to the net would most likely mess up his toss position and timing.

Oh, absolutely.
He should not do anything.
But I am always trying to over-analyze everything :)

Regards, Predrag

degreefanlindi
09-16-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't care for Johanson's delivery of serve. It's a very unconventional one. However, it seems to be effective and work well for him. Andy Roddick had trouble with the velocity of it I believe and that says a lot about his motion.

predrag
09-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I don't care for Johanson's delivery of serve. It's a very unconventional one. However, it seems to be effective and work well for him. Andy Roddick had trouble with the velocity of it I believe and that says a lot about his motion.

It seems to be very effective, but I am just wondering if he could have had his serve even faster.
It is too late to change it now, even if he wanted.

Regards, Predrag

kevhen
09-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Did anyone see Sargis Sargasian play his 4:40 5 set match with Mathieu? It made my back hurt just watching his huge back bend he does with each serve but somehow he pulled it out with his loyal Armenian fan following.

predrag
09-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Did anyone see Sargis Sargasian play his 4:40 5 set match with Mathieu? It made my back hurt just watching his huge back bend he does with each serve but somehow he pulled it out with his loyal Armenian fan following.

Number of pros have quite, shall we say, un-orthodox delivery.
However I was posting about Johanson because he was THE Server at the recent USOpen

Regards, Predrag