PDA

View Full Version : The toughest mental block

All-court Hero
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Do any y'all have trouble beating your Dads?

I am definitely a better player than my Dad, but there's also a serious psychological block here. he is really great at placing the ball, but has no spin whatsoever. I should be able to hammer him!:mad:

If not your Dad, is there one person (say on your team) that you know you're better than but just can't beat?

103xStateChamp
04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Just Imagine your facing a diffirent oppenent with the same game.

All-court Hero
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
tried that
didn't work

zzzbrianxxx
04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
you have to take a break from playing him for a while. if you don't think about it for a while and just go out and play him after a couple of months and treat him like any other player and never let him talk, you'll do well.

chadilac
04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
yea i have the same problem. this guy on my team i can beat any day but when i played him in a challenge position i just cant win. he throws his raquet and yells when i win a point. then when he takes my position on the team. then when he playes in maches against other schools he looses to everyone i beat. oh well the coach saw that and now im playing his postion in the upcomeing sectional Tournament on thursday.

All-court Hero
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
you have to take a break from playing him for a while. if you don't think about it for a while and just go out and play him after a couple of months and treat him like any other player and never let him talk, you'll do well.

sounds like a plan.

103xStateChamp
04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
yea i have the same problem. this guy on my team i can beat any day but when i played him in a challenge position i just cant win. he throws his raquet and yells when i win a point. then when he takes my position on the team. then when he playes in maches against other schools he looses to everyone i beat. oh well the coach saw that and now im playing his postion in the upcomeing sectional Tournament on thursday.

I hate kids that have fits like that they just have to realize there going to lose points. It's bad for your game and easy to pick the kid apart mentally if my kid acts like that I always say net if he serves it into the net it made this one kid really mad. He said I think im smart enough to know if it hits the motherfu<>en net.

NebAce1
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I kind of have a mental block against one of my friends. Even though he's a little bit better than me he kills me every time at will. Whenever I think I'm getting better and my game is rising, I go out and hit with him and gives me a beatdown. I just get physced out everytime we play.

All-court Hero
04-25-2007, 05:47 PM
It's my biggest pet peeve when people freak out the court! I mean seriously! the 3.5 to 4.0's usually only make 70-85% of their shots, and every time they miss one, they freak out. i played this one guy who was way more powerful than me, and had a dynamite serve, but he double faulted three out of four points. he threw his prince shark like it was a frisbee, straight into the net! i would never intentionally put a scratch on my frame.

cereal
04-25-2007, 05:53 PM
[/QUOTE] i would never intentionally put a scratch on my frame.[/QUOTE]

this is what you say now....but when you dump 4 volleys into the net.. nothing seems easier man.

LarougeNY
04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
this is what you say now....but when you dump 4 volleys into the net.. nothing seems easier man.

So true. I actually smacked a ball off the courts and out of the fence onto the main road adjacent to our school today because I lost to a crappy 1st doubs team. No penalties though, even though it was REALLY satisfying smacking the crap out of that ball.

ibringtheHEAT
04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I can't play womens.......

Noveson
04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I can't play womens.......

I thought I was the only one! Me and my friend always play with our girls #1 doubles team(we are #1 also) and although we can beat them, it is always waaaaay closer than it should be. Or we will get down like 4-0 before we pick it up. It is sad.....

thejackal
04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
i beat my dad 6-1 6-1 last time we played sets. he's a decent hitting partner but doesnt like to play matches.

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I thought I was the only one! Me and my friend always play with our girls #1 doubles team(we are #1 also) and although we can beat them, it is always waaaaay closer than it should be. Or we will get down like 4-0 before we pick it up. It is sad.....

I said that primitavely, but I honestly can't. I'm in the same situation as you but with singles. The girl hits with NO pace but a lot of spin and is very consistent. I almost always win, but losing 4 games to a 5'4" 100lb girl isn't the most confidence-building experience.

Dunlopkid
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Man...Am I glad to hear I'm not the only one hear too. I routinely play a girl at my club who is very good. However, I am better than her (just not for my gender.) Sometimes I play her close because I'm so scared of losing to a girl...especially when there are people watching.;)

EDIT: holy cow...just saw ibringtheheat's post. That sounds IDENTICAL to my experience. I'm not even sure this girl is that tall. Like you say...losing four games doesn't breed confidence.

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 05:26 PM
haha yeah...I feel like a little girl myself when that happens =[

xtremerunnerars
04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Why are you scared of losing to a girl? Of the number of people playing tennis, a solid amount of them are girls, and a TON of them can really kick your ***.

ibringtheHEAT
04-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I realize that, but shes like half my size literally......

Forehand Forever
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't have trouble losing to a girl, but when girls are watching (especially hotties) thats trouble.

clampman
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm a tennis Dad and usually hang out at the nutrition and training sections but this thread is pretty good.

Extremerun is right. Especially so in the younger age groups of serious players. It isn't until 16's that the boys as a group pull away from the girls from what I've seen.

Boys look at playing against girls as a lose-lose situation. They feel they are supposed to win, so when they do, it's to be expected, and they don't get a gold star for it. But if the match isn't going well, to "save face", they tank, and make sure everybody knows they aren't "really" playing .

Some of the guys (usually ones who have been playing a lot of Juniors tournaments) know that the girls are usually better than boys at younger ages, and play all out when they play against girls, and don't let it affect them one way or the other.

Some never do figure it out, let their emotions get in the way, and wind up the worse for it because they are eliminating more than half of the good competition available to them.

My daughter is tiny and plays against the boys at her tennis academy. The tanking problem she first encountered was remedied by the coaches who were more than happy to assign huge numbers of double suicides to boys whom they even suspected of tanking. As a result, now she has good, honest competition, and her game is continually improving. Ocassionally, she's able to hit with and play pro sets against women training before pro tournaments, which is always a highlight for her.

So, I'd suggest that if you're serious about your game, that you play the best players you can find, regardless of their sex.

Cheers,
Jim

YonexDude
04-30-2007, 11:55 AM
it's common knowledge that sons are not allowed to beat their dads in sports. its just a rule.

mrHan
04-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Do any y'all have trouble beating your Dads?

I am definitely a better player than my Dad, but there's also a serious psychological block here. he is really great at placing the ball, but has no spin whatsoever. I should be able to hammer him!:mad:

If not your Dad, is there one person (say on your team) that you know you're better than but just can't beat?

If you can't beat your dad you need to sit down and analyze what is causing you to lose. How are you losing points to him? Are you making the unforced errors? Is he exploiting a weakness? If you are then you have something to work on. Blaming a loss on a mental block is not the solution. (I'm not saying that you do not have a mental block... read on)

When I was a junior playing against my dad I could not understand why he was beating me. I used to get so frustrated playing against him because my strokes were superior to his, I was younger, faster, stronger and fitter. How as he beating me? This I blamed on a mental block.

I was wrong! I sat down and made notes after the match to figure out what he was doing to beat me. It turned out he had a better strategy than I did. He didn't have to play with power or spin. He had better stroke placements, knew when to float the ball deep, when to hit a short slice. On top of that, he was playing with my focus. He would stop a point halfway claiming there were too many balls on the court and I may step on one during a point, or start chatting about nonsense right after an intense point. He was playing mental games breaking my concentration.

The next time I played him, I had a game plan. I was focussed. Point for point I had a strategy. When he played mental games I smiled back. Then went back to my focus right before the point starts. Yes, I beat him badly. Tennis is not about who is on the otherside of the net. It's about how well you strike the ball.

mhstennis100
04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
My dad is hard to play because he hits completely flat, no topspin and hardly ever slice. I'm used to the heavy spin balls that most people hit these days and then he comes with no spin at all. It's good practice for hitting differnt balls though.

ibringtheHEAT
04-30-2007, 06:39 PM
My dad played in college and would be a solid 5.0 if he got back into it, but he uses the most ridiculous racquets. He plays with woodies half the time, and then his little PS 85 and Prokennex Bronze Ace..........I get beat anyways, so whatever he wants I guess.

jkonecne
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Before high school I had a hard time even competing with him. Then I hit high school and out of nowhere I was able to demolish him. My brother is still having problems beating him. He's out of high school and clearly a better player, but still has a problem beating him. A lot of it could be the styles of game. Do you have problems with other people like your dad's game? Just keep trying different strategies until you find one that works. Getting over mental blocks is about the hardest thing to do.

ibringtheHEAT
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Do your dads use older racquets, or have they taken the jump to more modern racquets?

Mine, as posted before, uses woodies and his old graphites. He would probably be ALOT better using a more conventional racquet, but it's his choice.

All-court Hero
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
To mrHan and mhs tennis, both of the dads you are describing sound like my dad, except he can't hit a topspin backhand. he can only slice it. looking back, i lost to a guy on my team that only sliced it, pretty much every shot. maybe i have trouble getting under the ball when it's so low.

My dad plays with my old target racket. he played socially with his friends in college, plus he's a soccer and xc ski coach.

! ! ! ! ronakp10
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
only one on the team... hes the biggest pusher and hes proud of it... best pusher i know.

nhstennis
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
i have a ? regarding Highschool tennis>>
Me and my doubles parther have been goin up and down between 3 and 4 lines all year. The end of the year approached and we challenged the #3 team abd beat them; the following Monday-Coach says we cant play todays match bc we took the spot too late and he sent the lineup same with regionals which took place the monday follwing this one...We didnt even play at regionals...........the "#3" team lost first round!!!

Anyone else's team like this??

MJM2324
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a hard time playing people who are my friends, or I know well, which sucks for tryouts...

xtremerunnerars
05-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I beat my dad today!!!! 6-4,5-7,7-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Best.day.ever.

:D

Cfballer5
05-28-2007, 03:26 PM
yea im the same way im by far alot better than my dad but have been having a hard time beatin him, but i finally did 2 weeks ago. But yea i know exactly wat ur talkin about its weird.

thejackal
05-28-2007, 09:56 PM
i have a ? regarding Highschool tennis>>
Me and my doubles parther have been goin up and down between 3 and 4 lines all year. The end of the year approached and we challenged the #3 team abd beat them; the following Monday-Coach says we cant play todays match bc we took the spot too late and he sent the lineup same with regionals which took place the monday follwing this one...We didnt even play at regionals...........the "#3" team lost first round!!!

Anyone else's team like this??

my coach had to send in his lineup early also for the sectionals, so it might be legit.

kingdaddy41788
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
completely relax and just hit. Build up your confidence. Then just play it like any other match.