PDA

View Full Version : Just got USTA membership...Set goals on a my first tournament!

chrisak47
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey everyone.

Well, I am 15 and 16 next month and I just signed up for USTA membership. I am recently decided to play in some tournaments. I live in New England and I am a solid 2.5-3.0

I am just wondering, what level tournament should I join? The lowest level I can find is level 5 and it is on clay which I have NEVER played on before. I know the basics of sliding and I am really anxious in playing. Do you guys suggest I wait until I get around 3.5-4.0 before joining any tournaments or should I give it a shot?

103xStateChamp
04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I would go for it but play on clay b4 you go there.

chrisak47
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Okay I will try to see if I can play on some clay before I go ahead and sign up.

Can someone list the suggested NTRP ratings matched up to the New England levels for me? Example:

Level 1 --> NTRP 1.0?
So on.................

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
well for one........juniors don't have NTRP, but I guess you can have one if you want ;)

Just play the lowest level available, you get used to clay in a matter of minutes. Good luck.

chrisak47
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys. I am just really really really really REALLY worried that if I go with level 5-7 that I will get swiped right off the court. :(

By the way, do you guys know how these tournaments work? Is it like a regular draw where I can be paired with anyone randomly?

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
It's a random draw usually, sometimes the seeded players get a bye in the first round, but every tournament is different. Yes, you could end up playing the #1 seeded player in the first round...........not fun, but a good learning experience none the less. If you lose in the first round you still get a chance in consolation, which also gives you points towards moving up.

Good Luck.

chrisak47
04-26-2007, 01:12 PM
So I called the place...

I booked myself for the tournament on June 25th. He said first timers should go for level 7. As the levels go down, they are more advanced.

As for me trying out clay...They said they might accept me to play without a membership there for $10-20 but its up to the main manager. Other than that, its $180 for the summer and $10 per guest that I bring.

@_@ The bills are gonna add up...

$18 - One year membership for USTA
$43.50 - Entry fee for tournament
$180 - Summer only membership for all courts including clay and hard

Plus I need to get a decent pair of clay court shoes, some strings, and the gas to drive me there!

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
So I called the place...

I booked myself for the tournament on June 25th. He said first timers should go for level 7. As the levels go down, they are more advanced.

As for me trying out clay...They said they might accept me to play without a membership there for $10-20 but its up to the main manager. Other than that, its $180 for the summer and $10 per guest that I bring.

@_@ The bills are gonna add up...

$18 - One year membership for USTA
$43.50 - Entry fee for tournament
$180 - Summer only membership for all courts including clay and hard

Plus I need to get a decent pair of clay court shoes, some strings, and the gas to drive me there!

Compared to some you aren't spending anything. I wish you the best of luck in your tournaments. 180 for a summer membership at a facility with clay and hard is VERY GOOD, I'd take that in a blink of an eye if I were offered. You can get decent clay shoes for 40 bucks, strings as low as 3 bucks......you'll get the hang of it soon. Also.....make sure to renew your membership before it expires or you lose all your points.

brayman9
04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
win a couple of games and get out with your head high. That is about all u can ask for.

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Good For U

Matt_MS
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
play in a novice tournament...

c_zimma
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Go for it, but your first time on clay might be overwhelming, so like 103 mentioned, play on it first.

EasternRocks
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM
kinda late to start playing tournament at your age...but great for you and i hope you do well...D

mhstennis100
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
its not to late. I didn't start playing seriously until last August. I knew the rules and some basics but I never took tennis seriously. I'm keeping up with champ ranked players now.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
go for it dude. where are you? clay is easier because the ball bounces slower so you have more time to hit. good luck, and let us know!

MariaS
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey everyone.

Well, I am 15 and 16 next month and I just signed up for USTA membership. I am recently decided to play in some tournaments. I live in New England and I am a solid 2.5-3.0

I am just wondering, what level tournament should I join? The lowest level I can find is level 5 and it is on clay which I have NEVER played on before. I know the basics of sliding and I am really anxious in playing. Do you guys suggest I wait until I get around 3.5-4.0 before joining any tournaments or should I give it a shot?

I don't think you should sign up for anything over 3.0 personally. Good luck! :-D

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
i wouldnt play on clay first if i were you.