PDA

View Full Version : What is carpet?

bluetrain4
04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
As much as I've seen the reference and seen matched played indoors on carpet on television, I've never seen it in person.

So, what exactly is it? Is it literally like very short utility carpet (like that green stuff on artificial putting greens or patios, or the stuff found in people's garages), or is it something else?

I once went to a tennis clinic held in a high school gym. They rolled out what was basically a rubber mat to pay on. Was that "carpet" by tennis standards?

Voltron
04-26-2007, 01:51 PM
It's like hard court but with a layer of felt-like material over it. It's the worst court surface ever in my opinion, although I have never played on artificial grass.

forzainter
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
It's like hard court but with a layer of felt-like material over it. It's the worst court surface ever in my opinion, although I have never played on artificial grass.

i played my first tournament on artificial grass, and it was horrible, i wasnt prepared for the low skid and because of my height , i had a lot of low shots i just had to push back, i hate it.

Andres
04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I love the carpet, and I love the synthetic grass! :D
Maybe I'm just a freak, but I love it!! I love the low bounce, and the skidding slices!

Pro Staff Pete
04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
The art. grass is lovely.. but I think I feel like that because I started playing tennis on it :D

It's excellent for both young children who are learning how to play from a coach (nice bounces, no real spin-effect e.g.) and also for elderly people because it's nice for their bones, joints and muscles because of the softness. Besides, you can continue playing when it starts to rain and the courts are usually opened during the off season (winters here).

Voltron
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
i played my first tournament on artificial grass, and it was horrible, i wasnt prepared for the low skid and because of my height , i had a lot of low shots i just had to push back, i hate it.
I guess I should be glad I don't have to play on it then.
Maybe I'm just a freak, but I love it!! I love the low bounce, and the skidding slices!
Burn the witch!!!! ;)

Pro Staff Pete
04-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Slice on grass > Spin on clay

Admit.

Aykhan Mammadov
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Paris Masters must be on the carpet.

Andres
04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Paris Masters must be on the carpet.
Paris Masters IS on carpet :)

bluetrain4
04-26-2007, 02:33 PM
So, what is it?

Andres
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Carpet

‘Carpet’ is the term used for most synthetic indoor surfaces and the first carpet surface was called ‘Sportsface’. In the 1970’s, ‘Supreme’ became the first rubber mat surface to become widely accepted. Synthetic turf is also a surface used in tennis as well as other sports such as hockey and football. The pace of the court can be made faster by adding sand or rubber granular material and the pace depends on the quantities added.

ITFtennis.com

Andres
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Carpet is like a carpet or rug, and it may have a rubber surface to make it faster and skiddier.

bluetrain4
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info

BigboyDan
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Carpet is the old Astroturf, with no fuzz. But instead of being laid over a mat for football or baseball, its laid out directly on the cement.

Moscow, St. Petersburg, Lyon, Basel, and Paris are on carpet.

Kevin T
04-26-2007, 03:45 PM

I once played an indoor tournament on wooden floor basketball courts lined over as tennis courts. Talk about smoking serves and low skidding slice shots. Fastest surface I've ever played on and it played perfectly into my big serve/volley playing style. I miss carpet in pro tennis.

Andres
04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I once played an indoor tournament on wooden floor basketball courts lined over as tennis courts. Talk about smoking serves and low skidding slice shots. Fastest surface I've ever played on and it played perfectly into my big serve/volley playing style. I miss carpet in pro tennis.
Yeah, I did the same thing. Parquet plays like ice. Ridiculously fast! I loved it :D

vive le beau jeu !
04-27-2007, 01:27 AM
if you like carpet, it's time to join the CPL ! ;)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1070924&highlight=carpet+protection+league#post1070924

a guy
04-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Do they hoover it?

Buuurnz
04-27-2007, 06:33 AM
during the winter season we play on carpet over here, and I gotta say it's my least fave surface...Clay is the best then hard court...never played on grass really but I bet it's great as well!

LttlElvis
04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Scroll down and there is a close up of carpet.

http://www.itftennis.com/technical/equipment/courts/history.asp

NoBadMojo
04-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Do they hoover it?

actually yes....an industrial vacuum cleaner

the other surface (the felt type carpet) was known as Boltex. i think that may be the brand name

diegaa
04-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I walked over the surface but never played on it. it feels like you were on a floating surface, like it has some free space between the top layer and the other(s).
Syn grass is great, very slow surface (like clay speed-wise) but with the ball bouncing very high.

Andres
04-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I walked over the surface but never played on it. it feels like you were on a floating surface, like it has some free space between the top layer and the other(s).
Syn grass is great, very slow surface (like clay speed-wise) but with the ball bouncing very high.
What!?
What kind of syn grass did you play in!?
The ones I've played are quite fast, skids a lot, and bounce really low!

diegaa
04-27-2007, 07:58 AM
What!?
What kind of syn grass did you play in!?
The ones I've played are quite fast, skids a lot, and bounce really low!

andres, we have already discussed this months ago. what can I say. do you want the name of the courts??? :)

Andres
04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Yes, please!!!
It makes no sense :D

Pro Staff Pete
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
In general, it's impossible.. but who knows.. :)

NoBadMojo
04-27-2007, 08:15 AM
i've dreaded playing on the synthetic grass surface..everytime was a terrible experience..i am talking about Omnicourt, which is the synthetic surface with the sand spread in it...very skidding low unprecitable bounces and dangerous unless perfectly maintained (which they never seem to be)..also not easy on your body as they claim. by far, the worst surface i've ever played on..wood was even much better..

diegaa
04-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, please!!!
It makes no sense :D

I cant find the name of the center on the internet. But I went there with unjugon, a TTW fellow member. IF u dont believe me, you can ask him

Andres
04-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Ahh, pero en españa!!!
jjaja, listo, ya me quedó claro!! :mrgreen:

PD: Para los usuarios españoles (vease Zaragoza, por ejemplo), no, no intento ser ofensivo... simplemente nos reimos :D

diegaa
04-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Ahh, pero en españa!!!
jjaja, listo, ya me quedó claro!! :mrgreen:

PD: Para los usuarios españoles (vease Zaragoza, por ejemplo), no, no intento ser ofensivo... simplemente nos reimos :D

malvado guazzelli :twisted:

tennislife
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Carpet courts vary in playing characteristics due to differences in thickness, texture, and materials used in the base and yarn. Most types of carpet are used indoors, but some synthetic grass carpets are used both indoors and out. Personally I don't like them...

root
05-05-2007, 01:31 PM
felt type carpets (boltex) and artificial grass are quite different. The amount of sand affects very much the playing characteristics of grass, thats probably the reason for differing opinions about it.

Felt carpet is actually very fine to play on - typically bit faster than hardcourt, but definitely not as fast as grass. Very gentle on joints and equipment, just the rigth amount of footgrip and cushioned.

Serve 'em hard
05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey, I checked out that ITF website and they said clay was only invented in 1956. I thought it was much older than that... If clay is this new, what was the former surface at the French Open, grass?

"Clay

In 1956 the Gallia Tennis Club in Cannes, France, became the first place in the world to construct a clay court. Clay courts are mainly found in Europe and South America and up until the 1980’s, virtually all the courts in Spain and Italy were clay courts. The French Open championships at Roland Garros is the only Grand Slam event to be played on clay."

chiru
05-05-2007, 08:01 PM
i've dreaded playing on the synthetic grass surface..everytime was a terrible experience..i am talking about Omnicourt, which is the synthetic surface with the sand spread in it...very skidding low unprecitable bounces and dangerous unless perfectly maintained (which they never seem to be)..also not easy on your body as they claim. by far, the worst surface i've ever played on..wood was even much better..

I played on that once, I never felt like I could get a good firm footing. Perhaps it was because i never really tried sliding on it, but i had to take off running faster and then slow myself down gradually so that i wouldn't fall. I didnt have that kinda trouble evne on the worst maintained clay courts.

fastdunn
05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
felt type carpets (boltex) and artificial grass are quite different. The amount of sand affects very much the playing characteristics of grass, thats probably the reason for differing opinions about it.

Felt carpet is actually very fine to play on - typically bit faster than hardcourt, but definitely not as fast as grass. Very gentle on joints and equipment, just the rigth amount of footgrip and cushioned.

Well, maybe that's the case for current carpet which is laid on hard court.

It used to be much faster and faster than grass (grass court of
current Wimbledin, of course, and maybe even grass court of 90's).

I've learned my tennis starting on super fast carpet laid on wood floor.
Balls skid, you can't have a backwing, easy on your knees and rewards
big servers and shot makers..

peter
05-06-2007, 01:07 AM

The brand name is "Bolltex", and it's made by a company called "Nordifa". Check out "www.bolltex.se" for some information...

I agree with the description though (I play on felt carpet more or less all the indoor season here). There is supposed to be a newer version of Bolltex called Bolltex Elite that the company claims is a bit slower than the original one.

(Btw "Bolltex" = "Boll" (Ball, like in tennis ball) + "Tex" (Textile))

Felt carpet suits my game pretty well, but most old Bolltex courts are nowaday being resurfaced with stuff like Rebound Ace, Plexipave or similar.

Serve 'em hard
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey, I checked out that ITF website and they said clay was only invented in 1956. I thought it was much older than that... If clay is this new, what was the former surface at the French Open, grass?

"Clay

In 1956 the Gallia Tennis Club in Cannes, France, became the first place in the world to construct a clay court. Clay courts are mainly found in Europe and South America and up until the 1980’s, virtually all the courts in Spain and Italy were clay courts. The French Open championships at Roland Garros is the only Grand Slam event to be played on clay."

Anyone have thoughts or info on this?

Serve 'em hard
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Anyone have thoughts or info on this?

Come people! We need some answers and some insights on these clay court revelations, and the mystery of Roland Garros previous surface.

Serve 'em hard
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Come people! We need some answers and some insights on these clay court revelations, and the mystery of Roland Garros previous surface.

If you fellas think this issue is going away, you have another think coming!

djones
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Carpet

‘Carpet’ is the term used for most synthetic indoor surfaces and the first carpet surface was called ‘Sportsface’. In the 1970’s, ‘Supreme’ became the first rubber mat surface to become widely accepted. Synthetic turf is also a surface used in tennis as well as other sports such as hockey and football. The pace of the court can be made faster by adding sand or rubber granular material and the pace depends on the quantities added.

ITFtennis.com

I think this rubber surface is totally different than carpet.
In fact it has nothing to do with carpet.
Tournaments like Lyon and such have rubber sort of surface, where you hear the players feet squeek.
That you don't have on carpet.
The word carpet is actually misused in my opinion.

And btw, carpet ain't that bad of a surface at all (talking about this nylon stuff).
The ball bounces high, but not as straight up as on clay, and it is in my opinion much better than artificial grass.

BigboyDan
05-12-2007, 01:02 PM
"...ITF website and they said clay was only invented in 1956."

This is a typo.

The French has been played on red clay since at least 1928, when the Roland Garros facility was opened WITH red clay as its surface.

Serve 'em hard
05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
"...ITF website and they said clay was only invented in 1956."

This is a typo.

The French has been played on red clay since at least 1928, when the Roland Garros facility was opened WITH red clay as its surface.

Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks. But are you sure? And before Roland Garros, there was a French Open played on what surface? And when was clay actually invented if not 1956?

slagvaerk
06-03-2007, 02:17 AM
...most old Bolltex courts are nowaday being resurfaced with stuff like Rebound Ace, Plexipave or similar.

...and this is probably mainly because of serious lobbying from the shoe and tennis ball industries... ;-)

After my local club changed from carpet to Rebound Ace, I have at least doubled (!) my consumption of shoes and tennis balls... :(

Both carpet and Rebound Ace are both fine to play on, although _very_ different...

A typical feature of carpet is, besides what others have written above, that the ball slides _a lot_ when it hits the (painted) lines, one some courts almost as much as on clay lines...on the other hand, on carpet you often hear a distinct "click" when the ball hits the line...

I have also found it a little easier to adapt to the outdoor clay play after having spent the winter on Rebound Ace instead of carpet. The ball bounces more similar...