PDA

View Full Version : Uh, what?

iamke55
04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
After Federer played the best set of tennis ever against Roddick, a commentator noted that there was only one instance of a golden set. Not only that, they said it was also a golden match, by Bill Scanlon in 1973. Anyone have info on this most one-sided match? Did a junior get into the draw by accident?

I searched on wikipedia and saw 6-2 6-0; who is right?

GS
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
It wasn't a golden match, just a golden set. It was in the first round of the WCT Gold Coast Classic at Del Ray, Florida, February 1983, Scanlon vs. Marcos Hocevar of Brazil, who was ranked 30th in the world that year.

zapvor
04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
wow-i didnt think golden sets were possible...

tenniskid3119
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
by golden set, do you mean not losing a point the entire set?

zapvor
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
by golden set, do you mean not losing a point the entire set?

yea. not a single point...

Bottle Rocket
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
What match against Roddick?

grizzly4life
04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
i remember bill scanlon's golden set. obviously early 80's NOT 1973.

when i got back in tennis a few years ago (and i was decent player in HS in easy-ish league, and now i'm over 35), i bugged a guy in my office "who'd had a 4-2 lead on a big-name top 5 player back in the day (early-mid sampras-era) to play me a match after i'd practiced awhile...... so we rally and everything's great, and then we start playing. oops, golden set, although a few good chances at points on my serve. first games on his serve = zero, zero, zero chance of getting point because i wasn't standing back far enough. said he played really hard as he'd never had a golden set (never played anyone as weak as me....... major retriever type guy in the office with big forehand can get a couple of games off him)

grizzly4life
04-29-2007, 06:06 PM
also, back in the day, there was alot of tanking on the tour. this would of course be extreme.

Rabbit
04-30-2007, 10:06 AM
In Scanlon's book, he talked about the Golden Set. He had actually been in the process of putting down his Kramer Autograph wooden frames in favor of a newer graphite frame from Wilson. He had decided that this was to be the tournament in which he finally cut the cord.

He said he was warming up with Rod Laver. Laver had been retired for more than a couple of years. Laver was laughing at Scanlon and working him over pretty good in the warm up. Scanlon says after the "hit" with Laver, he ran back to his room and retrieved his beloved Kramers.

He said he had no idea he was going to make history, but the match he played later that day was against none other than Hocevar. He won 24 points in a row.

I don't care who you are, nobody wants to go down in the record books as the guy who couldn't win a point!