PDA

View Full Version : ProTennis Players Traveling

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-26-2007, 04:04 PM
when pros travel, do they pay for their airfare? and who pays for their hotel stay, im just curious

Andres
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
They pay it, from his own pocket. Both the flight and the hotel. If that's money from the sponsors, better for them. But usually they pay for their expenses. That's probably why they make good prize money, cause they have so many expenses.

chrisdaniel
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I know alot of the lower ranked ITF players will sometimes be taken in by a family or someone in the city of the tournament....It saves money...kinda like a rock band on a low budget tour...

Fee
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
According to the ATP Rulebook, Tournaments are responsible for hotel rooms for the main draw players. Slams pay per diem and let the players arrange their own rooms. Players take care of their airfare (and having arranged flights for a few players in the past, I can tell you they lose a LOT of money because they have to make last minute arrangements so often).

Challengers and Futures are not required to provide housing unless its a "$50 + H" tournament, but most of those tournaments try to get housing for the players in the homes of volunteers and whatnot because they know it makes it much easier on the players who are dirt poor at that level.

ATXtennisaddict
04-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I think you can only make a "decent" living at top 100, at least from what i've read. BUT, you get to travel the world! And I'd trade "decent" living to experience the whole world!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I think you can only make a "decent" living at top 100, at least from what i've read. BUT, you get to travel the world! And I'd trade "decent" living to experience the whole world!
top 300 atleast makes 30k?

insiderman
04-27-2007, 05:55 AM
'Fee' explained it just like it is. Also, for those players who are not main draw, and journey around on their own, (no coach, etc) the AVERAGE cost for expenses is around $100,000 a year. The M/D players, do have higher expenses if traveling with wives, coaches, etc but they get more 'benefits' along the way.

Both player councils (ATP & WTA) have long been trying to get the associations to work a deal with the airlines (like the PGA has) but so far, nothing - players buy open-end tickets since they don't know when they need to leave, and those are not cheap - sure, they 'rack-up' a ton of FF miles, and use those when they can - not an easy thing to do these days with all the restrictions.

All in all...it is on average, a career that ends when you hit 30.

Like they say...the rich get richer and the poor keep trying.

Fee
04-27-2007, 06:31 AM
top 300 atleast makes 30k?

Possibly, but they spend at least twice that trying to earn it.