PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find match statistics?

krosero
04-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I mean on the Web. Apart from news articles and books, or the videos of the matches themselves, where can I find stats on such things as first-serve percentage, aces, winners, etc., in older matches?

I see that the ATP site has stats for newer matches, but I'm looking for stats on older matches.

Thanks.

Moose Malloy
04-27-2007, 09:54 AM
You can't find this on the Web.

I would suggest buying as many older matches as you can & just jot down stats when they flash on-screen. Otherwise there is no way to find this stuff out, maybe look up the NY Times from the 80s/90s the day after the US Open finals.

I have a ton of matches, magazines, newspapers over the years that have match stats buried away in them, too bad no one has bothered tracking them(the atp really is a weak source, even their recent updated archive doens't include winners, errors)

here are the stats from the '84 Wimbledon final:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117217

krosero
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
You can't find this on the Web.

I would suggest buying as many older matches as you can & just jot down stats when they flash on-screen. Otherwise there is no way to find this stuff out, maybe look up the NY Times from the 80s/90s the day after the US Open finals.

I have a ton of matches, magazines, newspapers over the years that have match stats buried away in them, too bad no one has bothered tracking them(the atp really is a weak source, even their recent updated archive doens't include winners, errors)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117217Yes,, this is what I started doing lately, buying old matches and jotting down stats as they're displayed or mentioned. It's worthwhile but sometimes tedious, which is what made me wonder where else I could find these things. No sense in doing so much work if it's already been done.

Maybe the ATP site will someday provide stats for older matches. Don't know if they have staff collecting stats, or what.

An example of how fascinating this can be: I just saw Pat Cash's defeat of Mikael Pernfors from two sets down in the 1986 Davis Cup final. Pernfors struck so many winners, it seemed he had more than Cash, which is counter-intuitive and remarkable if true. Regardless, he hit so many that his number of winners would be interesting to have. But there were very few stat graphics displayed on that match.

krosero
04-27-2007, 12:03 PM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=117217Unbelievable stats for McEnroe.

I'm reading in Steve Flink's "Greatest Matches of the Twentieth Century" that Mac served at 70%, just below his Wimbledon final percentage, in his 5-set match against Connors at the Open. 75% over three sets at Wimbledon is great, but 70% over 5 sets may be even more remarkable.

Moose Malloy
04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm reading in Steve Flink's "Greatest Matches of the Twentieth Century" that Mac served at 70%, just below his Wimbledon final percentage, in his 5-set match against Connors at the Open. 75% over three sets at Wimbledon is great, but 70% over 5 sets may be even more remarkable.

are you sure about this? I recall Mac's 1st serve % being quite low in that match(maybe even less than 50%) which is why he was broken so much that day.

I find it hard to believe that Mac could serve 70% & get pushed that much, the serve was the most important part of his game.

krosero
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
are you sure about this? I recall Mac's 1st serve % being quite low in that match(maybe even less than 50%) which is why he was broken so much that day.

I find it hard to believe that Mac could serve 70% & get pushed that much, the serve was the most important part of his game.Confirmed, I checked it. However I don't have a video of the match.

Moose Malloy
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I just saw Pat Cash's defeat of Mikael Pernfors from two sets down in the 1986 Davis Cup final.

where did you get this match?

krosero
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
where did you get this match?From http://www.geocities.com/ricksasha27560/

I ordered a lot of matches from there, and this one happened to be the worst quality. The ball could be very hard to follow on the second disc, though the first was okay.

Moose Malloy
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah I order from there as well, quality mostly good, but good to know, I thought about getting that one, but I'll think I'll pass after what you said.
Get anything else lately? Just trying to see if there are other matches I should avoid(though even the sub-par ones I've gotten I didn't mind so much, since they involve favorite players/matches

krosero
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah I order from there as well, quality mostly good, but good to know, I thought about getting that one, but I'll think I'll pass after what you said.
Get anything else lately? Just trying to see if there are other matches I should avoid(though even the sub-par ones I've gotten I didn't mind so much, since they involve favorite players/matchesI've mostly gotten major matches from the 1980s which probably you've seen. Borg, Wilander, Lendl, McEnroe. The only others I got which I thought were poor quality, but better than Cash-Pernfors, were two McEnroe-Lendl matches: 1988 French and 1989 Dallas WCT. But for those who want to see those matches, the copies are more than adequate. Not so for collectors looking for high quality, though.

Moose Malloy
04-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Confirmed, I checked it. However I don't have a video of the match.

Watched some of the match last night, these were Mac's 1st serve % in the first 3 sets:
Set 1-50
Set 2-62
Set 3-69