PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal over doing it on clay

bdawg
04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
There is no doubt Nadal is the number clay court player right now. However, is it possible that playing so many tournaments on clay will tire him out for the rest of the season? we all know that Nadal has dwindled in the past two years after wimbledon , so should he just stick to certain series events and Roland Garros?

FitzRoy
04-27-2007, 12:09 AM
There is no doubt Nadal is the number clay court player right now. However, is it possible that playing so many tournaments on clay will tire him out for the rest of the season? we all know that Nadal has dwindled in the past two years after wimbledon , so should he just stick to certain series events and Roland Garros?

I don't know...isn't this current one (Barcelona) the only one he'll be playing outside of Roland Garros and the Masters Series'? Actually, I think he's supposed to skip Hamburg too, no? So really you're only talking four clay events, including the French. Looking at it that way, someone could play Nottingham, Queen's Club, Wimbledon, and then Newport...thereby playing an equally long grass season as Nadal's season on clay. ;)

tennis_hand
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
He is trying to gain as many points as possible on his sugar surface and hope to become year-end No 1 if Fed falls during the 2nd half of the season.

Baghdatis72
04-27-2007, 01:11 AM
He is trying to gain as many points as possible on his sugar surface and hope to become year-end No 1 if Fed falls during the 2nd half of the season.

That would be hard to achieve as Federer would have to exit Wimbledon early, the US Open early and perform badly in some of the MS events to be able to lose his 1st rank spot.

rafan
04-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Yes I think he is overdoing it - it must be pretty tough playing doubles matches (and winning) at the current performance he is giving. Old injuries have a bad habit of flaring up when muscles are tired - so really hope he has time to rest up after this tournament

kimizz
04-27-2007, 01:46 AM

No doubt last year wasnt good after wimb, quarters at USO and semis in the Masters final was a positive suprise, other than that it was bad.

But 2005 wasnt that bad for Rafa after Wimbledon! He won two masters on fast surface, thats 1000points. We just have to wait and see what happens this year. I doubt that hes playing too much. I bet hes gained some experience from past seasons and he should know by now whats best for him.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
04-27-2007, 03:05 AM
Normally Nadal drops Hamburg and there is a break before Roma Master Series

caulcano
04-27-2007, 03:05 AM

Nah. He's just merely defending his points, then hoping Federer falls a lot during the 2nd half...

Thor
04-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Yes I think he is overdoing it - it must be pretty tough playing doubles matches (and winning) at the current performance he is giving. Old injuries have a bad habit of flaring up when muscles are tired - so really hope he has time to rest up after this tournament

Playing doubles improves the net game,most players play doubles at the begining of their careers(Fed too),so i reckon he's trying to improve on his net game towards wimby and hardcourt season.

jamumafa
04-27-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm sure if there were 2 masters series on grass before Wimbledon, Fed would play them all too.

HollerOne5
04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
That would be hard to achieve as Federer would have to exit Wimbledon early, the US Open early and perform badly in some of the MS events to be able to lose his 1st rank spot.

Not necessarily....No doubt Nadal will have a larger lead after Roland Garros on Federer than he ever has before at that point in the year (due to the early exits by Federer at IW and Miami). If he can go toe to toe more or less with Roger for the rest of the year after the French, he has a legitimate shot at #1.

Vlad
04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I never seen Rafa being tired, so I guess no.

vllockhart
04-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't think he's overdoing it at all. He probably won't play after the FO until Wimbledon.

Bassus
04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Isn't Nadal following the same schedule that he used in 2005 and 2006?

He may be scheduled to play Hamburg as of now, but he'll most likely withdraw if he makes the final of Rome again, just like both he and Federer did last year. The only way he'll play Hamburg is if he has a bad Rome.

And frankly, he's pretty much steamrolled through his opponents on clay. The only guy who has really pushed him is Federer, but that challenge seems to have diminished ever since the Rome final last year.

In short, he doesn't seem to have much to worry about on clay right now.

tintin
04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
if he feels he can do it;if his body can hold up until RG;then let him play:D
clay is the easiest surface on the body and joints so it's all good

Morrissey
04-27-2007, 09:56 AM

He's sticking with the same schedule as the last two years. So no, he's doing just fine.

NadalForever
04-27-2007, 09:56 AM
One thing I don't understand is why is Nadal playing doubles on clay. He should not be wasting any energy on doubles and should only focus on defeding singles points so that he can finaly get the number one ranking from Federer.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-27-2007, 10:14 AM
heck if i was nadal id play and play and play and play on clay season. i own it...

Nadal_Freak
04-27-2007, 10:19 AM
So far this year no 3 setters. Nadal has not played more than an hour and a half. The long matches is what takes a lot out of you. So far so good.

YonexDude
04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
he's got a good reason to play on clay. and i doubt he'll get worn out playing clay because it's easier on the body that some other surfaces. if he played this much on hardcourt, i'd bet it would be a different story

CanadianChic
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Nadal will not tire of the clay any more than the Bryans will tire of the hard courts or Fed the grass during their respective seasons. He grew up playing on this surface - why would he tire on it? He may burn himself or be more prone to injuries, like any other player, if he overextends himself period though. IMO

DanEd
04-27-2007, 03:54 PM
No, he is not staying too much on court and he is winning pretty comfortable all his matches

tricky
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Key thing to remember is that clay courters often have shorter careers not because of the clay, but the hard court season. You can (will?) play forever on clay. You can't on concrete.

He's sticking with the same schedule as the last two years. So no, he's doing just fine.

I would imagine he would back off with the hard court schedule though. His coaching staff has probably looked at the benefit/cost and realized that Nadal is best gestating his HC game while he's still very young, then running him all over the concrete prematurely and shortening his career.