PDA

View Full Version : How to hit deadly drop shot against baseliner?

a529612
09-16-2004, 10:15 PM
I've heard a great drop shot should be able to bounce 6 times before reaching the service line. How can you do that? Is there any drop shot clip out there?

Camilio Pascual
09-17-2004, 04:59 AM
ANY drop shot that bounces twice is a great drop shot, including ones that reach the baseline!

ma2t
09-17-2004, 06:49 AM
I've heard a great drop shot should be able to bounce 6 times before reaching the service line. How can you do that? Is there any drop shot clip out there?

I don't think there's a magic number. It would depend mostly on how fast the baseliner is. Some people run well side-to-side but not forward. Why hit a riskier drop shot than you need to?

aahala
09-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Camilio gave the correct answer.

A successful drop shot has two components, how you hit it and when. Unless you're right on top of the net, the when is almost(or perhaps more) important than the how.

If an opponent can recognize it's coming and start his engines before you make contact with the ball, average foot speed is often good enough to get to all but the most perfect dropshot.

kevhen
09-17-2004, 12:57 PM
There are a couple ways to hit a drop shot. You can hit it low so that it barely clears the net at it's highest point, but may still carry forward to your opponent, but since you hit it low it will still be a good defensive shot even if they get to it. This is also a shot to lure your opponent to net if they don't volley well. It should have some slice to it so it stays low and doesn't set up.

Or you can hit it high like 6 feet high but have it dropping when it crosses the net so it only carries a few feet past. This is the way to hit the dropshot winner but if you hit it too high or too long it will setup for your opponent and you will likely lose the point, so it's high risk and should only be done when you are inside the baseline and your opponent is behind the baseline and possibly even diagonal deep from the ball.

Bungalo Bill
09-17-2004, 01:09 PM
There are a couple ways to hit a drop shot. You can hit it low so that it barely clears the net at it's highest point, but may still carry forward to your opponent, but since you hit it low it will still be a good defensive shot even if they get to it. This is also a shot to lure your opponent to net if they don't volley well. It should have some slice to it so it stays low and doesn't set up.

Or you can hit it high like 6 feet high but have it dropping when it crosses the net so it only carries a few feet past. This is the way to hit the dropshot winner but if you hit it too high or too long it will setup for your opponent and you will likely lose the point, so it's high risk and should only be done when you are inside the baseline and your opponent is behind the baseline and possibly even diagonal deep from the ball.

Kehven, what in the world are you talking about? You are not even close to answering this persons question.

TO THE POSTER:

A good drop shot should bounce three times before passing the service line.

If it bounces two times you can consider this as a good drop shot as well.

The USPTA testing requires us to be able to hit a drop shot and it bounces three times before it passes the service line. This is only done for stroke competance.

It is extremely difficult to hit a drop shot and have it bounce six times before it passes the service line. In fact, this is so difficult I wouldnt even try to practice that. If you can hit a drop shot and it boounces two times before reaching the service line - your opponent will have a very difficult time getting to that ball on time.

kevhen
09-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Sorry Bill. I will keep my dropshots to myself.

But if you are playing a deadly baseliner, wouldn't you want to hit low, short slice and bring them to net and make them beat you that way instead of from the baseline?

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 01:20 PM

@wright
09-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Kevhen, my experience is yes, it can be very successful, but that's not a real drop shot, that is a short slice.

lendl lives
09-17-2004, 03:28 PM
pmac said the drop shot fh is the only shot he can't hit.

Phil
09-17-2004, 05:14 PM
It is extremely difficult to hit a drop shot and have it bounce six times before it passes the service line.

Is it even POSSIBLE to hit a "six-bounce" drop shot? Maybe if you're playing against a freak wind or the shot clips the netcord, but otherwise...if I knew it WAS possible, I'd start practicing the shot, today.

thehustler
09-17-2004, 09:44 PM
The best drop shot against a baseliner is the one they don't expect. It could be the one right in the middle of a rally, or it could even be on their serve, or one when they're out of position and think you are as well. When you catch your opponent off guard with a drop shot, especially if they are at the baseline you will likely win the point even if they get it back. Odds are the ball will be close to the 2nd bounce, and unless this is some great player you're up against it will be a touch shot back with no pace that you can put away for a winner, or if you really want to have fun with them lob it over their head. Watch them run back to get the lob, then all you need to do is come to net. Good times ensue. It's a good way to wear them out, and against a couple people I play it works rather well. They're tired and you're standing at the net with a grin on your face and they know why and they can only pray they won't fall for that trap again. JMHO.