PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - Mantila had skin cancer scare

Duzza
04-27-2007, 06:30 AM
This is probably the first time I've heard of a pro having troubles with skin cancer...there was a picture of him wearing a legionarre's hat.

cghipp
04-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm surprised we don't hear of it more often.

latinking
04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
The sun is harsh now days. Do u realize you can get skin cancer on your back or upper thigh even if you are covered? I didn't know that. The rays from the sun can deflect off your body (exp. legs arms)and hit another parts of your body that is more sensitive and create skin cancer.My father is very dark skined Brazilian ,and has worked in the sun all his life and he says the sun now is way out of control. I have Black friends that burn and peel. Thats not natural. Need to be careful, even if you think you tan, its dangerous, and I am a tan skin person.

Starlite
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised we don't hear of it more often.

Yeah, I know. Even though it can affect anyone, you'd think that people whose profession is to play mostly in the sun would be affected more often. I guess most pros invest in some sunblock. I also read that because of the whole skin cancer, he's working with his clothing sponsor to design special long sleeve shirts and extra long shorts, and he's already been sporting special hat with neck protection. Glad he got over it, and I'm even more glad that he's trying to help teach people about sun protection.

edmondsm
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
When I heard about this I couldn't believe it. You know how much air space that has been polluted by tennis commentators (Carillo/Enberg) talking about pointless crap and I never once heard them mention that this former Top 10 player was battling skin cancer.

Sorry to drift of topic a bit.

Starlite
04-27-2007, 12:22 PM
When I heard about this I couldn't believe it. You know how much air space that has been polluted by tennis commentators (Carillo/Enberg) talking about pointless crap and I never once heard them mention that this former Top 10 player was battling skin cancer.

Sorry to drift of topic a bit.

It's so true though. I didn't even know about his skin cancer until a thread in here a little while back, and now that he's playing again, there's a little more publicity on it. Just shows where the priorities are I guess.