PDA

View Full Version : Matts Wilander's racquet in '83

Redflea
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I was watching the Wilander-Noah French final from '83, and noticed that Matts had an odd looking racquet that I didn't remember.

The throat cross piece is curved so that it arches upwards towards the strings, rather than towards the grip as on most racquets. I couldn't make out the stencil on the strings, didn't look like anything easily recognizable to me.

Anyone know what he was using then?

Kirko
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Rossingnol 200. he used natural gut strung in the high 40lb.s range.

Redflea
04-27-2007, 05:11 PM

Thanks very much...I don't really remember those racquets, appreciate the info.

galain
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a comparative review of this frame with some others from the 80's. Should be done in a few days and I'll post on the 'Racquets' board.

CEvertFan
04-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I was watching the Wilander-Noah French final from '83, and noticed that Matts had an odd looking racquet that I didn't remember.

The throat cross piece is curved so that it arches upwards towards the strings, rather than towards the grip as on most racquets. I couldn't make out the stencil on the strings, didn't look like anything easily recognizable to me.

Anyone know what he was using then?

FYI, it's Mats, not Matts.

Kirko
04-28-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm in the middle of doing a comparative review of this frame with some others from the 80's. Should be done in a few days and I'll post on the 'Racquets' board.

Looking forward to that Galain! would like to see your thoughts on the Prince Mag. Pro.

laurie
04-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes Rossignol, they are much more famous for making ski equipment now.

netman
04-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Saw that match last night. What model of Rossi was Noah using? Had a vertical bar in the throat.

Wasn't it cool watching how much slower they hit the ball and how much variety there was in the shot making. Topspin, underspin, slice. They were changing it up on every ball, even within long rallies. Noah won like 25 points at the net and was slicing balls to Wilander's BH all day. Try 25 trips to the net on clay against Rafa in today's game. You would get hurt. :)

-k-

galain
04-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Noah never played Rossi - he was sponsored by Le Coq Sportif for awhile. It was the wood/graphite TCO he used against Wilander in 83. Good luck finding one on the cheap. I think this board has spawned a lot of collectors out there in auction land. The last one I saw went for well over 120 euros.

Rabbit
04-29-2007, 04:30 AM
Noah wasn't using a Rossi, he was using a Le Coq Spotif frame. I think it was the Concept 3 Oversize. It was a wood frame with graphite overlays. The center member in the throat was to add stiffness.

vsbabolat
04-29-2007, 06:46 AM

Hey you forgot F in front of the 200 as in F200. The Rossignol 200 was a nice wood and Graphite composite frame, it was mid size with inverted bridge, and was painted matte black with red and gold pin stripes.

Kirko
04-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey you forgot F in front of the 200 as in F200. The Rossignol 200 was a nice wood and Graphite composite frame, it was mid size with inverted bridge, and was painted matte black with red and gold pin stripes.

my errror. F200 was fiberglass & graphite mix mostly glass.

_skunk_
05-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Used to be my main racket for long long time (15 years almost), very nice and flexible now time is passing and i'm having some difficulties to handle it for long matches. Unique feeling when hitting the ball if strunged with natural gut at middle/low 50s.
In Europe in the middle 80s F line of rossignol was really popular, I do remember a lot of people using them.
It's pretty sad that rossignol does not produce anymore quality frames.

http://digilander.libero.it/Indiano_joe/Rossignol%20F200%20Carbon.jpg

I do remember 3 versions of the F200, in the photo the 2 grey ones and last release was blu
http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01036pe1.jpg