PDA

View Full Version : If Fed wins the FO sans playing Nadal...

Dark Victory
04-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I had this convo with a hitting buddy a few days ago on the possibility of Federer winning the FO sans meeting Nadal. Now if that happens, if Raf crashes out due to injury, burnout or whatever, would that be considered a knock against Fed? Regardless of opponent, a win is a win. But still, would it raise an asterisk on Fed's victory considering he's never beaten Nadal on clay?

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-27-2007, 06:20 PM
no asterisks, nadal isnt a player that will make excuses, and any fan with a brain wouldnt doubt feds win either, a win is a win.

bluescreen
04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
yeah, a win's a win. if nadal were to pull out w/ an injury (which i doubt he would), it would be cuz fed was pushing him to do so w/ his play. wouldn't be anything against fed.

splink779
04-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Sure it shouldn't take anything away from Federer's slam, but tennis fans will be talking about it forever into the future.

psamp14
04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
if federer and nadal meet in the french open final again, and nadal retires with an injury...say tied at 1 set all and on serve in the 3rd, or even if he's up 2 sets to 1 and down a double break in the 4th....it will be controversy forever but it wasnt in federer's control...

but i hope this doesnt happen, and the two meet again, this time being an epic 5 setter....

Andres
04-28-2007, 05:49 AM
What if Nadal injures himself early in the tourney?
I don't think it would be an asterisk. You have to win 7 five setters on clay to win Roland Garros. Why is people always looking for asterisks? A win is a win. Winning FO is the most difficult task in the tour, despite who's on the other side of the net.

tintin
04-28-2007, 07:56 AM
a win is a bloody win with or without Nadal in the finals :D