PDA

View Full Version : How fast di you think a13 year old shoud be able to serve?

Classic
03-13-2004, 02:35 PM
How fast? I am not going to tell you my speed until voting is over so i wont be embarassed

Anonymous
03-13-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't think there is a age to switch to a one handed backhand, i'm college level now and i use a one handed just because thats the only one i learned growing up

brijoel
03-13-2004, 04:28 PM
considering you chip and charge serve speed is all relative. for instance i have a big flat serve i hit at people's feet which still gives me time to come in due to a soft reply usually. then, there is always using a kick serve at a slower speed to move my opponent around. same goes for you. if you generally spin the serve in for basic consistency and to be a lil tricky, speed is not anywhere near as important. nothing to be embarrassed about at all my friend. most players your age would be scared to use a racquet you are using now, not to mention playing a chip and charge style game. i dont think you have much to worry about. stop worrying about how hard you are hitting it and learn to keep a high percentage of good serves by using various forms of spin as your weapon.
i switched from a two hander to a one hander without a problem when i was about 15, but i had only been playing about 9 months or so till i was suggested to switch by my instructor. i suppose part of the reason i never had any problem switching was because i played racquet ball for about a year and a half before and always had to use a one handed backhand obviously. if you really wish to switch......id suggest going to your pro or coach and ask them for specific suggestions first. a one hander isnt right for everyone.

PS. dont bother making the racquet heavier yet. there is no reason to make it heavier just to brag you use a 14 ounce stick if you cant swing the thing.

Classic
03-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Thankyou so much for your advice. Since I dont have a serv speed neter thing i tried a rough way. I stood on my flat drive way and told someone to hit the start button on a stop watch when the ball was reeased from my raquet and the stop button when the ball bounced. I measured its distance and time and I converted it to mph. It was roughly from 44mph-53 mph. It as actually probably alot faster because the timing was off, but it worx. I have applied spin on all my serves for accuracy and stuff. O, i meant adding eight to affet baance, not weight too much. THANX!

brijoel
03-13-2004, 05:38 PM
here is the thing im trying to figure out then, why are you wanting change the weight/balance if you already feel it to HAVE sufficient balance for S/V? trust me unless you have good reason such as poor racquet stability or feeling of it being too head heavy and want to adjust to a little more head light for maneuvarability reasons........or you just want a heavier hit ball overall, there is no reason to change it.
the problem will always remain you have added weight and effectively decreased your racquet speed and generally the amount of energy you must exert.

if you are still interested please explain if you could, what you want to accomplish.

Classic
03-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Well, I thought I would have to make it more headlight because I thought switching the leather grip to a snthetic one would take away some weight, but now I found outthey weighd the same. I don't ned any more weight, so thanx lot for being concerned! Its great to have great people on these boards like you to help others.

brijoel
03-13-2004, 06:01 PM
good to hear it will work out correctly, it is always such a pain to get the adjustment right when using lead tape.

and as always feel free to ask any question, as im sure all of us are more than willing to be of service. :D

Phil
03-15-2004, 12:03 AM
With this and the "aces" thread, I'm wondering if the Poll function is all that it's cracked up to be.