PDA

View Full Version : how to hit a second sirve

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 07:27 AM
my first sirve is realy good but buy second is so bad i cant hit it with any power i just dink it over. any sugestions on how to get a better second sirve

Illegal_edge
09-17-2004, 11:19 AM
What you need to do is learn how to spin the ball effectivly on your second serve. The spin, topspin or slice, will give you a greater margin for error and allow you to hit the ball harder without the fear of hitting it long. Now, I don't think I am qualified to post how to hit the serves correctly but there are sites where you can find that information given by real pros. Try tennis.com and take a look at the instructional section there.

Bungalo Bill
09-17-2004, 11:35 AM
my first sirve is realy good but buy second is so bad i cant hit it with any power i just dink it over. any sugestions on how to get a better second sirve

First, you will never have a good second serve if you are afraid to lose or make a mistake.

The same swing speed that is used for the first serve is used for the second serve. How you make contact with the ball and the toss of the ball is the main difference in the second serve. The swing speed and motion should not change.

If you dont have confidence in your second serve the ONLY thing that will solve this dillema is to PRACTICE your second serve.

Learn where you need to hit the ball for different spins and how. After you practice this slowly and dilliberately, you can then begin to crank up the racquet head speed to the level you have it at for your first serve.

There is nothing in this world that can help you besides a good understanding of what spin your trying to apply and practice.

TwistServe
09-17-2004, 12:34 PM
adding to this thread.. after u start doing real second serves, you'll probably double fault a lot in matches initialy.. if you get tight in matches because of this you'll never have a good second serve..

i doubled for about a month before i got enough confidence where it doesn't bother me anymore.. also doing all second serves, even on first serves, is a great way to practice

Mikael
09-17-2004, 01:13 PM
The only way to do it is to hit serves on an empty court for an hour or more, for as many days as necessary until you get the desired results. You just won't hit enough serves during a practice set or any other game to really be able to improve it.

For developing topspin, I recommend standing way behind the baseline, close to the back fence, and trying to serve from there. You'll have to hit up and use topspin to hit the ball in. The exercise can be made extra-difficult by kneeling down. Just focus on your swing path at first, don't care about what your legs do or anything else. The feel of a true topspin serve is unique because you know it will go in no matter how hard you hit it. Keep practising on empty courts until you get that feel.

The most important thing is to get out there and do it... Acknowledge that learning what is probably the most difficult shot in tennis to learn is going to take dedication and practice. For years I tried the half-assed way and it is no wonder I didn't get good results on my topspin serve.