PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Evert d. Austin US Open SF 1980?

CEvertFan
04-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I have looked at all the sites where you can either trade or buy matches that I know of, but so far I haven't been able to find this one at all.

suwanee4712
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing that one myself. I have their 1979 US Open final. But this match is a real turning point in Chris' career. Very important match.

CEvertFan
04-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing that one myself. I have their 1979 US Open final. But this match is a real turning point in Chris' career. Very important match.

Agreed. It turned around her rivalry with Austin. Evert herself is quoted as saying to her father before that match that if she couldn't beat Austin, then she would concede that Tracy was the better player.

Moose Malloy
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
here's a few games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NzqIn2uRPU&feature=channel_page

BTURNER
02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Oh I saw this match several times. the whole thing was posted on youtube before it was taken down. Now we only get a few games at the start. It was a fascinating tactical display. Evert wormed her way into Austin's brain and ate through it! From the first Evert moved as well as I've seen her and after the first set, began to use every variety of shot she had. She approached using underspin and sidespin, moonballed, and volleyed, altering spin and trijectory. She used her drop shot on those high bouncing courts to phenominal affect. Poor Austin was completely confounded and exhausted by the latter stages of the third set. Evert said she had watched a match at Wimbledon as Evonne used her variety to similar affect. Now, of course we like to forget that Austin went on to win the next few matches with ease, so its not that Evert found a permanent solution. My guess is, Austin learned to pound the ball even harder/deeper to rob Chris of some of those options. Austin's injuries and rustiness post lay-offs did the real dirty work in late stages of the rivalry. But that match was a wonder!

DMan
02-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Moose, thanks for posting that YouTube link. I have always wanted to see this match, for the significance it played in Evert's career.

Was very interesting watching the YouTube link. There was no commentary, but must have been from the CBS telecast.

It's still amazing that the stadium was only @25% full. I know there was rain that morning. But to schedule the Evert-Austin semi at 11am was ridiculous. Why didn't they put Mandlikova-Jaeger on first?
I know Chris started out that match slowly, but the very first point was indicative of how she needed to play to win.

Also, I recognized umpire Judy Popkin's voice immediately. She had a very loud, distinctive, school marm shrill. She always sounded like the kind of umpire you didn't want to mess with.

PS - Austin and Evert played only 4 other times after that 80 US Open match, splitting the matches. They didn't play again for nearly a year, in the 1981 Canadian final, won by Austin 61,64. They met 2x in the 1981 season ending Toyota Championships, the RR match won by Evert 46,64,76 (another match I'd like to see) and the SF won by Austin 61,62. Then they didn't play for a full year, when Evert won their final career match 60,60.

CEvertFan
02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
It's a shame that YouTube clip doesn't show more tennis, as a good portion of it is prematch stuff - needs better editing. Austin at her peak was one of about three players IMO who could actually outrally Evert from the baseline. The other two being Graf and Nancy Richey when Evert first came on the scene.

BTurner, I found your analysis of the match to be fascinating. I wish I could see the entire match even more now.

grafrules
02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I was pretty shocked how long it took Richey to get into the HOF when you see how quickly players like Sabatini, Novotna, and Noah got in recently. I would rate her career hands down over Noah and Novotna imparticular. It is kind of surprising she only won the French once when you read above what a force on clay she was back then, and she mostly played when there wasnt really a dominant clay courter (she was really more part of the Court-King era, not the Evert era).

BTURNER
02-21-2009, 10:11 PM
CEvert, I wonder if you happened to have watched two Wimbledon matches I have on DVD from 1982. In the Quarters, Billie Jean beat Austin to reach Evert in the semi. First, I ordered the Evert- King match. It was an enthralling display of tactics with King using a masterful set of play patterns and junk to disrupt and exploit the Evert game. The 38 yr old took Evert to a decisive set and won nearly the same number of games in that match from a frustrated Evert before succumbing. Curious how different the Austin match would look, I ordered it. King did precisely the same thing but dominated in third. The key difference was in how Evert responded, or more accurately, how Austin did not. One sensed that Evert, though frustrated, at least understood just what King was doing to cause so much grief and tweeked her ground game just enough to hang tough until King's errors ( and subsequent irritation) began to accumulate. She used her lob to keep King from hovering too close . Austin made no concession to the off speed and low bouncing slice and dice and forgot to lob offensively. I felt Like I was watching Jennifer Capriati pounding away , not conscious of the of real problem besetting her. Of course Evert had not only heard this lecture before, but from the same professor! But I have to say this professor was brilliant! If Martina had had court and tactical sense of King, Evert and the rest of the tour might as well not have showed up at all in the 80'S.

by the way has anyone seen this Nancy Richey play. No youtube clips avail. From what I read, in the early part of the rivalry the young Evert simply was not strong enough to hit with her but has she grew to full maturity, and Richey longer in tooth, it changed. Anyone know more about her?

grafrules
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I have seen a couple old tapes of Richey although I cant find any on youtube. From everything I have read on her and the bit I saw she was an extremely hard hitting baseline player. Unfortunately for her she was often thwarted by all the great serve/volley players in the 60s, especialy Court and King. From the baseline it was very difficult to contain her power. Clay was definitely her best surface, she played pretty well on most types of grass then, the Wimbledon grass was by far her worst. Like most top women then she didnt play Australia often at all, she made the final the only two times she did, having to default with injury to Court once and winning the other time. I think it puts into perspective how much depth there were really was in the 60s and early 70s that a player like her only won 2 majors since she beat all the top players many times, and won her share of the important non-slam events on tour then.

CEvertFan
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
CEvert, I wonder if you happened to have watched two Wimbledon matches I have on DVD from 1982. In the Quarters, Billie Jean beat Austin to reach Evert in the semi. First, I ordered the Evert- King match. It was an enthralling display of tactics with King using a masterful set of play patterns and junk to disrupt and exploit the Evert game. The 38 yr old took Evert to a decisive set and won nearly the same number of games in that match from a frustrated Evert before succumbing. Curious how different the Austin match would look, I ordered it. King did precisely the same thing but dominated in third. The key difference was in how Evert responded, or more accurately, how Austin did not. One sensed that Evert, though frustrated, at least understood just what King was doing to cause so much grief and tweeked her ground game just enough to hang tough until King's errors ( and subsequent irritation) began to accumulate. She used her lob to keep King from hovering too close . Austin made no concession to the off speed and low bouncing slice and dice and forgot to lob offensively. I felt Like I was watching Jennifer Capriati pounding away , not conscious of the of real problem besetting her. Of course Evert had not only heard this lecture before, but from the same professor! But I have to say this professor was brilliant! If Martina had had court and tactical sense of King, Evert and the rest of the tour might as well not have showed up at all in the 80'S.

by the way has anyone seen this Nancy Richey play. No youtube clips avail. From what I read, in the early part of the rivalry the young Evert simply was not strong enough to hit with her but has she grew to full maturity, and Richey longer in tooth, it changed. Anyone know more about her?

No I haven't yet had the pleasure to see the King/Evert match or the King/Austin one either. I've only read about them. Those are on my list of matches to buy though.

You are so right about King though, she had great court sense and tactical sense as well and played very smart tennis a lot of the time. It's interesting that she sometimes gave Evert so much trouble and other matches were won with ease by Evert by scores of 6-0, 6-1 etc. Of course we all know that Evert was also great in those same areas as she also had great court sense and tactical sense as well as her unmatched mental toughness.

You'll probably never again see a 38 year old play top level tennis and give one of the all time greats all they could handle in a singles match - it'll just never happen again - no one will have that kind of longevity anymore because the tennis of today is so much more stressful on the body.

capriatifanatic
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow they are so boring. They just hit these fluffy shots back and forth. Capriati would destroy them and hit them off the court the same way she does regularly vs even much harder hitters like Serena, Davenport, Henin, and Seles during her own time.

CEvertFan
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Wow they are so boring. They just hit these fluffy shots back and forth. Capriati would destroy them and hit them off the court the same way she does regularly vs even much harder hitters like Serena, Davenport, Henin, and Seles during her own time.

Please get a life and stop ruining perfectly good threads with your idiocy.

CyBorg
02-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Yeah, cause hitting hard = better.:???:

capriatifanatic
02-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah, cause hitting hard = better.:???:

Tell the Williams sisters that. They are training half assed for tennis, out of shape completely, and moving towards double digit slams (Serena already is there) just by powering through everyone.

CyBorg
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Tell the Williams sisters that. They are training half assed for tennis, out of shape completely, and moving towards double digit slams (Serena already is there) just by powering through everyone.

I guess they're better at powering other "pow-ers".

thalivest
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess they're better at powering other "pow-ers".

Yes the remains of the wasteland that is left of womens tennis is tailor made for them to slug there way to victories, even out of shape and marginally commited. They are not required to do anything except slug the ball as their opponents present them no other demands, perfect for them. They can thank their lucky stars there are not even any Justine Henin types left, let alone the likes of Navratilova, Evert, or Graf in their primes.

CEvertFan
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes the remains of the wasteland that is left of womens tennis is tailor made for them to slug there way to victories, even out of shape and marginally commited. They are not required to do anything except slug the ball as their opponents present them no other demands, perfect for them. They can thank their lucky stars there are not even any Justine Henin types left, let alone the likes of Navratilova, Evert, or Graf in their primes.

Amen to that!

BTURNER
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM
The reason that kind of big babe bashing is prevalent, is because it WINS over other styles.
the question is, what can tennis do about it and what are we as fans, willing to sacrifice to get some real tactics and strategies back in the game. This is just not a fun sport to watch anymore. Can't blame the players for doing what works.

egn
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM

A certain Navratilova spent a portion of her career actually quite out of shape..Graf was down with injury all the time, Henin could not handle the Williams out of shape..so how are they lucky. Henin never stopped them..she wasn't about to start. Read up on Navratilova she spent a good porition of her early career not at top of physical shape many have accounted to this she was to caught up in luxury...sounds like the Williams sisters..just she shaped up and not the reverse of the Williams who went out of shape. Graf was injury prone for so much of her end of her best years. Evert is about the only women tennis player who went injury free and was completely dedicated. Do we always need Williams bashing in every thread? Except the fact that Serena has won 10 slams and get over it. She is not nearly close to Navratilova, Evert or Graf..the field in women's tennis has never been great. Argue that to me but in the late 70s to mid 80s who else played outside of Navratilova and Evert...you had a couple of 2 slam winners and one or two 4 slam winners. That probably made up for 10 slams in total compared to the 36 the two of them combined for. Graf same thing she had Seles and a bunch of people who were able to win at most 4 slams..No great depth there. So what do we have today. Serena with 10..a couple one slam wonders, Sharapova who has 3, Venus who has 7 and we would have had Henin with 7. Either way say what you all want women's tennis never has had depth problem is the top doesn't care enough because they know they are so much better than the rest that they can half *** it and win. (Serena in specific) She has just won two slams in a row without really putting in much effort..imagine if she tried hard. Honestly Serena needs a real opponent again..Henin made her work to come back in 2007 as Henin was stealing her spotlight Serena looked good coming back but once Henin bowed out she stopped caring again. Serena needs an opponent who can be a consistent threat, Venus can not provide that anymore..and Sharapova is injuried until that happens she will continue to half *** it and win slams instead of really trying. But please do not underrate her talent wise you do not win 10 slams for nothing. Besides 2002-2003 she played some of the most dominant tennis in women's tennis history and if it had not been for that injury she would have well won 2003 US Open and I bet 2004 had been different. God I hate to sound like a fanboy but the way people abuse the Williams is ridiculous.

BTURNER
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
You know, too much of this sport is about confidence and experience in the big situations. Pam Shriver pointed out how hard it was to win Slam finals when year after year you never got there often enough to gain confidence. In other words, the appearance of 'lack of depth' in the 80's may have been a RESULT of the Evert/Navratilova duo rather than suggesting they got their victories because of lack of depth. There was no lack of depth in talent and hunger in the 80's. There was no foothold on which to climb the confidence mountain. Only the most extraordinary of players had enough pure belief to beat both Navratilova and Evert in succeeding rounds without prior victories over both.

thalivest
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Evert and Navratilova made the others look weak when they were anything but. The same is true of Court, King, and Bueno and all other top players of their era. The same is true of Graf and Seles in their era, they even made players like Sanchez Vicario, Sabatini, and an old but still formidable Navratilova look bad when in fact those women were extremely high caliber players during those years.

Venus and Serena did make the others look bad back in 2000-2003. Not any longer though. Currently the other women on tour simply make themselves look bad, and the Williams not being dominant or invincible any longer (along with Henin and Sharapova being gone for now of course) instead of giving them a time to shine, has simply exposed even more clearly how very weak they all are.

CEvertFan
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd have to agree with the last two posts.