PDA

View Full Version : Is running a mile good for your game

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 08:34 AM
My couch thinks that running a mile is a good work out for tennis and i think that more agility drill will be better which is better

Smashlob
09-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Wow! This is a milestone post for you in terms of grammar and spelling seeing as I could actually read it, there seemed to be very few errors.

The real answer is that there is no "better," running a mile will help you with your endurance out on the court. Agility drills will help you with your explosiveness. A combination of the two of these drills would probably provide the best conditioning for you.

(Edited for grammar, touche my friend)

Baseline Basher
09-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Distance running would only help your tennis by improving stamina. Gnerally, it slows you down because your body is used to pacing itself. But I agree with Smashlob, a combination of agility drills and endurance running would improve your game.

Phil
09-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Smashlob - I noticed, without looking too hard, that your short post contains (at least) four punctuation errors. When slamming someone else for their grammar errors it's probably a good idea to make sure that your post doesn't contain so many, ahhh...errors. Just saying...

Coda
09-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I finally have to agree with Phil for once.

Type40
09-19-2004, 01:04 AM
I ran 5ks (3 miles) 4 times per week for 2 years, and i became very fit and lost weight, but it did not help my tennis game at all.

Running middle distances, tunes your body up incorrectly for tennis, and you actually start to fade in long matches.

I find that running in sprint interval bursts is much better for tennis. Run for 1 minute, walk 1 minute, repeat for 20 minutes.
Then sprint hard for 30 seconds, and walk for one minute, repeat for 10 minutes.

Works for me.

Coda
09-19-2004, 01:07 PM
you need long term endurance for the tiebreaker in the 3rd and you can't get it from just sprinting back and forth. You need to run for endurance with sprinting.

kevhen
09-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Long distance running gives you confidence in long matches that you won't fade and also gets you into shape so that you are lighter for sprinting and don't get out of breath for those long points.

perfmode
09-20-2004, 12:36 PM
long distance running = bad

It teaches your body to run @ 60% so it can finish it's task. Tennis is about giving 90-100% in short bursts. If you do distance running, your body will go crazy when you try to sprint in the 5th set of a match.

Jayzzz
09-22-2004, 06:13 PM
See that's interesting because I would think a COUCH would want you to sit on your *** and get fat, rather than run a mile. Very interesting indeed!

PusherMan
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Heheheh...I'm with Jayzzz on this one. If you do nothing else outside of your tennis workout, running a mile certainly wouldn't hurt your game. Still, if your goal is to better your game, there are plenty of other more beneficial things you could be doing with your time.

kevhen
09-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Maybe the couch is tired of getting sat upon.

goober
09-25-2004, 12:01 PM
running a mile is really nothing. If you can't run a mile easily you are not in very good shape. 16-18 year old male athletes should be able to run 2-3 miles pretty easily on top of whatever their sport practice requires.

If you want to get into better shape you should be able to run a mile or more, do agility drills and lift weights besides playing tennis !

Type40
09-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm 40, and I was running miles in under 7 minutes up till about a year ago. Try a seven minute mile some time.

Trey
09-29-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm 40, and I was running miles in under 7 minutes up till about a year ago. Try a seven minute mile some time.

I clocked a 4:36 1600 meters in high school. 8)

I don't think they run mile races any more except for special occasions.

couch
09-29-2004, 08:51 PM
I think running a mile is better than nothing. I think this running short, sprint-type, distances versues running longer distances is a bit over-rated. I think you need to do a combination of both. When I run 2-3 miles for a workout I try to run as fast as I can. I think if you just jog it doesn't do a lot of good; it is better than nothing however. I think you need the longer distances to sustain stamina for a long match but I also think you need the short, sprint-type runs for the quick bursts of tennis. I think we all do a lot of quick bursts when we play or hit tennis so we already get a lot of those work-outs.

VictorS.
09-29-2004, 08:59 PM
I think running a mile every day can only help out your stamina as it pertains to tennis. I think where the distance running hurts your tennis performance....is when you're running 4-5miles daily. The body is capable of only so much. After running 5miles...it's difficult to see how you could muster enough strength to play top-notch tennis. I think jump roping in intervals is a great way to get in shape for tennis. I like doing them in 3min intervals...15min total. Jumping rope is great for a number of reasons. It's a total body workout. In addition, it's great for footwork (all the boxers do it).

Type40
09-30-2004, 01:48 AM
I ran 4:25 in high school, now I'm 40 6:57 miles feel pretty good.

andirez
09-30-2004, 03:51 AM
For me, interval training is much better for my game than running 5 miles weekly. Interval training learns your body to recuperate rapidly after an exhausting point. After you practice this, you'll notice that your hart beat rate will drop much faster to its normal level, while otherwise it would have stayed quite high for a longer period. What I do like is running a mile or two before a match to wake you up a bit and get any alcohol leftovers out of your system, but that's in the week-ends ;)

fishboy
09-30-2004, 09:45 AM
In the Alan Iverson voice:

A mile!?!? what are we talking about? A mile?! I mean, a mile. We're talking about a mile. A mile ain't nothin compared to the game that I live and die for. A mile? I mean, I know, I know fitness is important, but a mile?

A mile ain't nothin'. Just suck it up and let it happen. A mile can be a good warmup, and an even better warm down. A little slow running after a hard work out or match will help you feel less sore the next day.

Run the mile, then do your sprints/suicides. Or run the mile after. It ain't gonna hurt your speed if you train for speed.

joelfish

ShooterMcMarco
10-05-2004, 05:42 PM
The best work out for tennis is H.I.I.T or simply, High Intensity Interval Training. hiit is basically just what it sounds. An example for a starter's hiit program would be to jog for 1 minute, then *sprint hard for 10 seconds then jog again for 1-2 minutes for a total of 6 minutes. You can even pyramid it later doing 1 min jog, 10 sec sprint, then 1 min jog, 15 sec sprint etc. Just keep the sprints rather short, like for starters, always keep it under 20 seconds or so.

hiit also allows you to be more explosive. With long distance jogging, that doesn't happen. If you're "big boned" or chubby or whatever euphemism have you, hiit is also beneficial metabolically. When you rest, your body will keep metabolizing at a higher rate than normal.

Type40
10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes that sounds about right, i've also heard this described as Fartlek training, or maybe that's slightly different.

Marius_Hancu
11-24-2004, 05:25 AM
My couch thinks that running a mile is a good work out for tennis and i think that more agility drill will be better which is better

You need both and much more.
Check my posting at:
Great Fitneess Sites:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=23127