PDA

View Full Version : Pressure off Fed*SPOILERS*

FedFan_2007
04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
With Canas going down in flames to Nadal in the Barcelona final, it means that Fed is off the clay hook. If grindmeister Canas can't threaten THE BEAST, why should Roger on clay? Now Roger can confidently forget the piggy surface and focus on TRUE tennis. Meaning grass, fast summer hardcourts(Toronto, US Open), indoor(Madrid, Tokyo, Basel, Masters Cup). Where Roger goes to glory and Nadal's season goes to die.

Andres
04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
^ Said the Fed Fan.

(5,000 posts!? I'm a Legend!? WTF!?)

5,000!!!???

Tennis_Monk
04-29-2007, 08:42 AM
There is always pressure on Roger. He is the #1 and he is the guy who is 'currently' hanging onto a place in History. Nadal has quite some ways to go (2 grandslams is not going to cut a place in history but Nadal is very young and does have the potential).

Roger wants to beat Nadal and hence is always under pressure. Roger has the game to challenge Nadal....but i am not sure his Mind believes he can.

CyBorg
04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
What sucks for Federer is that Nadal is better than he was last year. Even if Federer really turns his game up a notch he may come up short.

Last year was a great chance for Fed when he was up a set in the French Open final. I don't see him taking a set this time around - at least the way he's playing now.

kimizz
04-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Now Roger can confidently forget the piggy surface and focus on TRUE tennis. Meaning grass, fast summer hardcourts(Toronto, US Open), indoor(Madrid, Tokyo, Basel, Masters Cup). Where Roger goes to glory and Nadal's season goes to die.

I just love these topics :) lets wait for Cowell to reply

Zaragoza
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I laughed at "true" tennis. Clay requires to be a complete player more than any other surface. You need talent and consistency. Power alone isnīt enough like in other surfaces.
A big serve or a good serve and volley isnīt enough here, you need a consistent game and a tough mentality. People who lack of this will always be frustrated with clay.

PS. Funny that you mentioned Toronto and Madrid, both tournaments won by Nadal :-D

Baghdatis72
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Nadal is improving fast and he isn't going to get any worse. I think that this year he will do even better on the hard courts than last year and maybe win another MS event or even get close to winning a GS. The future doesn't look too bright for Federer imo.

randomname
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
fast summer hardcourts(Toronto, US Open), indoor(Madrid, Tokyo, Basel, Masters Cup). Where Roger goes to glory and Nadal's season goes to die.

and by going to die you mean 2 hardcourt masters, an indoor masters, and the semis of the masters cup?

CyBorg
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Nadal is improving fast and he isn't going to get any worse. I think that this year he will do even better on the hard courts than last year and maybe win another MS event or even get close to winning a GS. The future doesn't look too bright for Federer imo.

That's what they said last year.

a guy
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
With Canas going down in flames to Nadal in the Barcelona final, it means that Fed is off the clay hook. If grindmeister Canas can't threaten THE BEAST, why should Roger on clay? Now Roger can confidently forget the piggy surface and focus on TRUE tennis. Meaning grass, fast summer hardcourts(Toronto, US Open), indoor(Madrid, Tokyo, Basel, Masters Cup). Where Roger goes to glory and Nadal's season goes to die.

Are you saying Canas is a better clay courter than Fed?

tintin
04-29-2007, 11:12 AM
how idiotic of a post ;)
since when was Canas better than Federer if you were ever to imply such a thing?
since when has Canas won 10 Grand Slams :rolleyes:
he couldn't win a Slam with the juice,:lol:now you folks think that he's better than a man who made all the major clay tournaments on clay and I ain't taking about freaking Open of Brasil type of ****** tournament;going doing to Nadal alone and making the finals of RG again losing to Nadal
since when has Canas made all 4 Slam finals in a year?
hasn't that juicer won anything but on dirt?
Federer is a one-hander and the jucier is a two hander:world of a difference game wise
idiotic is the least I can say really :lol:

Zets147
04-29-2007, 11:16 AM
how idiotic of a post ;)
since when was Canas better than Federer if you were ever to imply such a thing?
since when has Canas won 10 Grand Slams :rolleyes:
he couldn't win a Slam with the juice,:lol:now you folks think that he's better than a man who made all the major clay tournaments on clay and I ain't taking about freaking Open of Brasil type of ****** tournament;going doing to Nadal alone and making the finals of RG again losing to Nadal
since when has Canas made all 4 Slam finals in a year?
Federer is a one-hander and the jucier is a two hander:world of a difference game wise
idiotic is the least I can say really :lol:

Can I have 2 orders of the Canas juice please?

Andres
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Won MS Toronto, on hard.
Semifinal on MS Indian Wells '05. Lost to Roger Federer
Runner up this year on MS Miami.
Got to a final, on grass (2001--'s-Hertogenbosch)
Lost at SF to Safin on grass (Halle 2005) in 3 sets.
Lost the SF of Paris Masters 2004 (on carpet) to Safin, probably the better indoor player around those years.

Seems like he doesn't have much trouble to adapt to fast surfaces, darling.

Baghdatis72
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
That's what they said last year.

Not myself though ;)

tintin
04-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Seems like he doesn't have much trouble to adapt to fast surfaces, darling.

mofo was on the juice;)

Andres
04-29-2007, 11:50 AM
mofo was on the juice;)
Quite a way to end a discussion. Good job, tintin
Sos igual de mamerto que el Tintin de la tele? Ese salame con jopo? :)

tintin
04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Quite a way to end a discussion. Good job, tintin
Sos igual de mamerto que el Tintin de la tele? Ese salame con jopo? :)

No lo se como se habla espanol porque no me importa ahora mismo pero se ruega no ofenda if you are:rolleyes: :grin:
ok mate trying here cut me some slack:lol:

CyBorg
04-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Not myself though ;)

I'll be sure to make note of that.

*notes to self: not Baghdatis 72*

Andres
04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
No lo se como se habla espanol porque no me importa ahora mismo pero se ruega no ofenda if you are:rolleyes: :grin:
ok mate trying here cut me some slack:lol:
Don't worry, you can look that up in an online translator. there are no bad words nor insults in that sentence ;)

tintin
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Don't worry, you can look that up in an online translator. there are no bad words nor insults in that sentence ;)

I hope so! :lol:
cheers mate! :D

Baghdatis72
04-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll be sure to make note of that.

*notes to self: not Baghdatis 72*

Well you said that that's what many people said last year about Fed but that doesn't include everyone obviously.

P.S: Thanks for the note.

edmondsm
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Pressure is still on Fed to beat Nadal on other surfaces. I think if Fed is going to win at Rome, Hamburg, or RG it will be because Rafa didn't play the tourney or got knocked out by someone else. Maybe Djokovic?

caulcano
04-30-2007, 01:17 AM
What sucks for Federer is that Nadal is better than he was last year. Even if Federer really turns his game up a notch he may come up short.

Last year was a great chance for Fed when he was up a set in the French Open final. I don't see him taking a set this time around - at least the way he's playing now.

Well I can't see Federer winning anything if he continues to perform how he did at the Monte Carlo final - Bad Serve & Bad FH.

OrangeOne
04-30-2007, 03:20 AM
I laughed at "true" tennis.

Well perhaps you shouldn't have, given that it could simply be a reference to the fact that Grass courts were the origins of modern tennis - hell, it was even called Lawn Tennis.

Go back 20 years, and 2/4 majors were on grass. Go back a bit further - 3/4 of the masters were on grass.

Grass court tennis deserves even more respect than it gets today, I'd love to see a few Grass-Court MS tournies....

Duzza
04-30-2007, 03:34 AM

True tennis involves all types of court surfaces. Deal with it.

Zaragoza
04-30-2007, 03:35 AM
Well perhaps you shouldn't have, given that it could simply be a reference to the fact that Grass courts were the origins of modern tennis - hell, it was even called Lawn Tennis.

Go back 20 years, and 2/4 majors were on grass. Go back a bit further - 3/4 of the masters were on grass.

Grass court tennis deserves even more respect than it gets today, I'd love to see a few Grass-Court MS tournies....

Iīm not against grass. Iīm against anyone who says that clay isnīt true tennis. As simple as that.

austro
04-30-2007, 03:42 AM

That logic can easily be put on its head. Although transitivity does not hold in tennis one can argue that if Canas beats Fed, Nadal beats Canas, then Nadal beats Fed, and by a mile!

But anyway, this thread is going nowhere...

The Gorilla
04-30-2007, 04:06 AM

Fair enough, I disagree, but fair enough. Biggest problem with grass in my humble opinion? It's not played on at club level anymore - it's just too expensive to maintain (well, in Australia, and we have good conditions for it). Most clubs struggle to pay for resurfacing as it is (with Synthetic Grass or Hardcourt) and those surfaces are only an every five or ten year expense. Grass? Requires probably a full-time curator. I know of only 1 or 2 major real-grass clubs in East-Coast Australia....

Then - there's the playability. Has to be covered in the rain, or it's useless for hours afterwards. Synth grass - hey - it's not my fave surface at all, but you can be on it only minutes or an hour or two after rain (even during it if it's only light).

So - grass isn't practical at the club level, therefore it's not as relevant. I love W being grass, but don't think 1/4 or 1/3rd of the year should be on a surface no-one can afford to play on!

lol ;)

kimizz
04-30-2007, 04:08 AM

I think everyone has the respect for the grass events. Its obvious that the clay events are considered inferior in some way...and thats because Federer isnt dominating on this surface. For example the OP said Federer can focus on true tennis-->OP thinks clay is inferior.

OrangeOne
04-30-2007, 04:19 AM
lol ;)

Perhaps, the next time you choose to try and 'own' me in two threads simultaneously by quoting the same thing in both threads that I said months ago, you should provide context, maybe reference what I was replying to? Below I provide context, i post the paragraph of yours I was replying to. I stand by my comments at the time, which were specifically responding to you wanting another Grass slam. I want a couple of MS on grass now, and that would still only make about a month or 6 weeks of the year on grass, which is, at most, 1/8th of the year on grass, nowhere near the threshold of 1/4 or 1/3rd that I still feel is excessive.

The only reason I suggested britain was because generally speaking these court surface seasons tend to be played in particular regions and because it is the home of wimbledon,and because I could jump on a ryanair flight to some of these games for a few cents.I just think it's a shame that there is no grasscourt season any more,just the odd davis cup game and two or three tournaments.I think australian open should change back to grass.

Fair enough, I disagree, but fair enough. Biggest problem with grass in my humble opinion? It's not played on at club level anymore - it's just too expensive to maintain (well, in Australia, and we have good conditions for it). Most clubs struggle to pay for resurfacing as it is (with Synthetic Grass or Hardcourt) and those surfaces are only an every five or ten year expense. Grass? Requires probably a full-time curator. I know of only 1 or 2 major real-grass clubs in East-Coast Australia....

Then - there's the playability. Has to be covered in the rain, or it's useless for hours afterwards. Synth grass - hey - it's not my fave surface at all, but you can be on it only minutes or an hour or two after rain (even during it if it's only light).

So - grass isn't practical at the club level, therefore it's not as relevant. I love W being grass, but don't think 1/4 or 1/3rd of the year should be on a surface no-one can afford to play on!