PDA

View Full Version : Renee Richards/ Richard Raskin

NoBadMojo
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Anyone watch the CBS Sunday Morning show this day? They had a lengthy segment on Renee Richards.
Noticed how he/she used the Yamaha YFG30 in much of the later footage, but didnt figure out the red one played better than the black one...if she only would have known, maybe she could have played on both tours ;) Actually the red and black were the same, but we swore the red played better :O
They were a fiberglass layup (no graphite), still small headed and pretty heavy and were quite popular for a while where I was at the time. one of the transitional racquets between the wood and graphite eras. they were also pretty cheap at the time for a 'hi tech' racquet

Kirko
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I remember those rackets. my brother in law used the brown & yellow. another couple of pros were Bob Lutz & John Sadri.

NoBadMojo
04-29-2007, 09:16 AM
I remember those rackets. my brother in law used the brown & yellow. another couple of pros were Bob Lutz & John Sadri.

That would have been the YFG50 which incorporated some graphite in the layup...i rememember people were groussing back then about how the racquet was too stiff :) little did they know.....
The racquet made a very noticeable whistling sound when you swung it.

Kirko
04-29-2007, 09:28 AM
That would have been the YFG50 which incorporated some graphite in the layup...i rememember people were groussing back then about how the racquet was too stiff :) little did they know.....
The racquet made a very noticeable whistling sound when you swung it.

directly and you're right about the "stiffness factor" well I guess compared to wood it was. another similar frame was the Kawasaki Graphite Ruler. it was pretty pricey.

NoBadMojo
04-29-2007, 03:03 PM
directly and you're right about the "stiffness factor" well I guess compared to wood it was. another similar frame was the Kawasaki Graphite Ruler. it was pretty pricey.
Yes, the Kawasaki along with the Trabert C6 were early very high end graphite frames..i think prince came out with something very expensive after a while too..these were really expensive even translated to todays dollars

steveq81
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Ah, yes, the whistling sound of the YFG 50. Even louder than the whistle of a Head Prestige Classic.

Back in the summer of 1977 I had just finished 8th grade, there was someone in town here who had a YFG 50. Fast forward to 2004, I'm now coaching the high school team here and this man's son graduates from high school after playing four years of varsity tennis for us. I ask him if his dad still has the YFG 50, and sure enough, he brings it to practice the next day.

I never hit with it back in the day, so it was quite a hoot to give a whirl. I'm guessing a stringjob that was 17+ years old may not have been terribly fresh, but it was still fun to hit a few balls with it if for no other reason than to make it whistle.

VGP
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I played someone several years ago and used his YFG50.

Hefty, flexible, and a bit of fun.

NLBwell
05-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I've still got one in my basement (black and white).