PDA

View Full Version : French Open-Who is a stronger opponent for Nadal: Federer or Caņas?

Zaragoza
04-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I was thinking about this during the Barcelona final and I´m not sure.
Of course, there are more players who could beat Nadal in a given day but I think these two are the strongest after Nadal.
Federer and Cañas play totally different styles but Nadal prevailed over both so far with a similar score in their last meetings.
I´m not sure if Federer would be confident against Nadal on clay given his 0-5 record. Also, best of 5 sets matches are supposed to favour Nadal but Federer is world no. 1 and deserves respect.
Cañas will probably be seeded in the FO and depending of the draw he could even meet Federer or Nadal in 3rd round (if he is seeded in the 17-32 frame).
He is really consistent and tough. Not only his defensive game is amazing but he can also hit some winners with his forehand. If he could beat Federer twice on hardcourts, I like his chances to beat Federer on clay but it all depends of the draw. His main problem is that his style is so physically demanding that he could be out of gas in the latest rounds or not at his best.
Federer can play brilliant tennis but his consistency in a best of 5 sets match on clay is not the best against extremely consistent players like Nadal and Cañas. Cañas consistency could be compared to Nadal´s but he needs to work too much on every point against someone who barely makes an unforced error like Nadal. But still he is a great fighter and always tough to beat on clay.

Morrissey
04-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Definitely Fed. He can vary his strategy more. He comes closest where as Canas hasn't won a set in 3 meetings with Nadal. Also Canas doesn't really do anything different other than trying to outgrind everyone. Nadal does that x2. A prime Coria (circa 03-05) could've given Nadal a tougher match than Canas.

BigServer1
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I think Federer is the tougher matchup for Nadal. I hope that Federer will start to vary his tactics against Nadal and not just try to outhit him from the baseline. Nadal can be outhit on HC, but not on clay. The dude is so money on the dirt it's not even human. If he three-peats the FO (beating Fed in the final) this year I think he goes down as the best ever on clay. He will have an 80+ match winning streak, and he will have beaten the best ever three years in a row to win. Pretty impressive stuff from Rafael Nadal.

crazylevity
04-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Just downloaded the MC final and watched it. It seems all Federer has to do now (on the basis of that match) is to cut down his forehand errors. His backhand no longer breaks down, but one can't help suspect that because he's taking his backhands a bit further back so they aren't so high, it compromises his court position and so his forehand suffers. That's only my conjecture.

But yeah, Monte Carlo would have been much closer if not for the forehand errors.

caulcano
04-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Just downloaded the MC final and watched it. It seems all Federer has to do now (on the basis of that match) is to cut down his forehand errors. His backhand no longer breaks down, but one can't help suspect that because he's taking his backhands a bit further back so they aren't so high, it compromises his court position and so his forehand suffers. That's only my conjecture.

But yeah, Monte Carlo would have been much closer if not for the forehand errors.

Add also his serving was rubbish...

War, Safin!
04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
It's totally irrelevant.
Nadal is going to walk the French this year.

Nadal_Freak
04-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Federer is pretty scary when he's on. 1st set of the French Open showed what he is capable of. If he can consistently play that way, he has a chance to beat Nadal. Of course Nadal will have to be a little off as well.

federerfanatic
04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
On clay or on all surfaces? On all surfaces of course Federer. Federer has to play quite poorly, and Nadal brilliantly for Nadal to have a chance of winning on a non-clay surface. However on clay it is probably closer, but probably still Federer over Canas. Both players are probably unsuccessful though, Federer's worst surface by far is clay, and Canas is just a second tier player.

Andres
04-30-2007, 04:58 AM
On normal clay conditions, I'll say Federer
At the French Open, and specially a 5 setter, I'll say Cañas.

The Gorilla
04-30-2007, 05:04 AM
The scoreline was deceptive, CANAS WAS ONLY BROKEN TWICE IN THE WHOLE MATCH.

RMB
04-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Federer too in Monte Carlo. It was the same thing; neither broke Nadal service.

BERDI4
04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
I think Cañas wasn't pjysically 100% in the final. He played a 3 hour match the day before against Calleri where he had to call the trainer because of back, leg, feet and arm problems. Let's see what happens at the FO if they meet. I think Cañas prefers 5 setters.

stormholloway
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
The problem with Canas is that he plays the similar grinding style that Nadal does, just not quite as well.

If Federer would take a more attacking style, with net rushes, he would have a much better chance.

I agree though, a piece of cake for Nadal.

z-money
04-30-2007, 07:53 AM
this is a contest of how well they match up. nadal does the clay game better than canas and is faster. Roger thought has a different game and beats most people. since rafa does everything canas does better than canas, it becomes a one sided match. whereas fed has more of a sampras game/mind. this means if he really wants you to go down you are going down

z-money
04-30-2007, 07:56 AM

ok and what would happen if nadal wasnt playing every day! singles one day doubles the next...etc. he beat people who are tough players by a worse score. as the week went on he gave up more and more games. that wont be the case if he is well rested, i think.

Nadal_Freak
04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
this is a contest of how well they match up. nadal does the clay game better than canas and is faster. Roger thought has a different game and beats most people. since rafa does everything canas does better than canas, it becomes a one sided match. whereas fed has more of a sampras game/mind. this means if he really wants you to go down you are going down
I guess he didn't want Nadal to go down 5 straight matches now. :-D

drakulie
04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Canas, like Federer needs to switch to a larger frame if he wants to have a chance at beating Nadal. :)

grizzly4life
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Canas, like Federer needs to switch to a larger frame if he wants to have a chance at beating Nadal. :)

enjoy those mishits. that's the mark of a champion:D

drakulie
04-30-2007, 09:08 AM
^^^ Yeah, you really know what you are talking about (cough).

For your information both Fed and Nadal had 3 backhand mishits when they last played. I suppose you think they should both swicth to larger frames. :roll:

Baghdatis72
04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I think Federer because Nadal plays in a similar way as Canas but he is fitter and better on what he does than Canas whereas Federer has a completely different play and could surprise Nadal if he finds the right recipe.

PrinceO3TourOS
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Federer is the No.2 best clay court player in the world, he is a better opponent to Nadal on clay than Caņas ;)

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
i like it how people are so stupid in these boards that one guy gets a hot streak and all of a sudden he is also a threat for nadal.

Zaragoza
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
i like it how people are so stupid in these boards that one guy gets a hot streak and all of a sudden he is also a threat for nadal.

I like it how some people respect different opinions.
You probably started watching Caņas 2 months ago? He has always been a good player and he was world no. 8 before his suspension, itīs not a hot streak. He is one of the best players on clay right now and it was tough for Nadal to beat him whatever the scores says. And I tell you more, if Caņas-Federer had to play in the FO I would put my money on Caņas.

J-man
05-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I was thinking Federer because he's played Nadal many times on clay and has a strategy (whether it works is another question). But as of right now I'd say there about equal. Nethier player really seemed to be able to get into a groove against Nadal.

tennisjunkiela
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Federer has to play quite poorly, and Nadal brilliantly for Nadal to have a chance of winning on a non-clay surface.

so since fed has lost 5 times in a row to nadal on clay yet beats everyone else on clay, i'm just curious: is fed's terrible loss record against rafa because 1) fed only plays poorly on clay when he plays nadal or 2) nadal only beats fed because he always plays brilliantly when he plays against roger on clay??

and since fed has lost to nadal 2 times on hard courts and only beaten rafa 2 times on hard courts, what the reasoning for this? maybe your conclusion is hog wash that, every time nadal beats fed, it's because fed played "poorly".

i would suggest another far-fetched possibility - maybe nadal is just better than fed overall (in regards to their matchups against each other)? a possibility to be considered perhaps??

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Yes if Canas plays Federer on clay he may beat him...

so Federer should pray Canas will not be in his draw during the FO and Djokovic as well :)

EasternRocks
05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
i think canas is a bigger damage...he has all the weapons even though he lost to him in barcelona.... canas is a fighter like nadal. if he hadn't take steroids, he would be top 10 now..

chiru
05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
i think what most peopl ehave pointed out here is basically what i feel: Nadal does what canas does, only much better. federer can vary, i still think nadal owns him on clay, but at least he has plan b and plan c, where as canas doesn't.

nextfederer
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Federer!!!!!!!!!!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I like it how some people respect different opinions.
You probably started watching Caņas 2 months ago? He has always been a good player and he was world no. 8 before his suspension, itīs not a hot streak. He is one of the best players on clay right now and it was tough for Nadal to beat him whatever the scores says. And I tell you more, if Caņas-Federer had to play in the FO I would put my money on Caņas.

no 3 years ago

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes if Canas plays Federer on clay he may beat him...

so Federer should pray Canas will not be in his draw during the FO and Djokovic as well :)
yeah right, dont be surprised if fed wins the fo