PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for my Dad?

jlambertou
04-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm sure this is an oft-discussed topic, but what are your current recommendations for a good racquet for someone in his upper 50s that hasn't played much in the past decade, and never really got past wooden racquets?

My dad played for years with his Stan Smith Autograph. Then when he was about 40 he started playing with a group of older guys every week, and decided he needed a new racquet cause his was pretty worn out. So he bought a Wilson Sting 95, which he never really got used to, although it made a good racquet for me to play with in junior high. Eventually someone in his group gave him a Slazenger woodie in good condition, and he played with it for a while.

Fast forward to 2007, when we went out to play tennis together for the first time in, well, neither one of us could remember, maybe 8 years? We were afraid the old man would hurt himself, pull something, etc., but he actually did really well for someone who hadn't been exercising much. I had to encourage him to actually do an overhand serve, but he did and it was pretty good. I ended up winning in a tie-breaker, which was fun, but not very satisfying, since last time we played he was much younger =0

Anyway, back to the racquet question. We had the Wilson Sting out there, but its string job was totally dead. We also had a red metal wilson walmart racquet as a backup. But he tried the wood Slazenger, and it still had tension, so that's what he played with. He's obviously used to old-fashioned small head-sizes. He has a one handed backhand, and long but moderate-speed strokes.

So if I were to get him a new racquet, what should I get? What's out there today that feels the most like a wooden racquet and/or is most helpful to guys in their golden years?

fgs
04-30-2007, 12:06 PM
i think it has to be a really flexy racquet which is not too light. so, one of them is the wilson nblade 98 you should give a try. then, i see lots of people going for the fischer and volkl frames. i have no possibility to play any of them, but judging from the posts they really seem to have some following. if you could just get some sticks for him to demo, i think it would be o.k. it has to be a low powered racquet too, since he appears to get some shots over the net with a woodie and you say he has moderate speed strokes - so i bet he's going to hit the fences for the first couple of shots even with a low powered modern racquet.

bigfoot910
04-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I have heard really good things about the Maxply McEnroe. It is a little bit lighter than a traditional players racquet, and it sort of has an "old school" feel to it. Just a suggestion as I have only hit with it once, just struck me as a racquet that would be good for an older player who liked the older feel.
The best part about his one is the PRICE!!! TW has it for $70.

movdqa
04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
PK Redondo if you can find one.

rooski
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I have heard really good things about the Maxply McEnroe. It is a little bit lighter than a traditional players racquet, and it sort of has an "old school" feel to it. Just a suggestion as I have only hit with it once, just struck me as a racquet that would be good for an older player who liked the older feel.
The best part about his one is the PRICE!!! TW has it for $70.
^^^ Great idea. He'll relate to the Maxply name, the racket looks sort of wood like, and it turns out to be a really solid stick. For $70 you can buy it for him.

jlambertou
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
looks interesting. Before this thread I was thinking of getting him one of the Bosworths:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBOS-BWSGC.html

But, that would probably defeat the purpose of getting him a new one =) Has anyone ever hit with any of those composites?

The Maxply is a great idea. I was thinking more of surprising him with one rather than demoing it. It would be too complicated to get him somewhere to demo. I can have it sent to him, then I'll be home in a few weeks to play him, then he'll have a new racquet as motivation to get his co-workers together and play.

What about other current players' models that some of the more mature players here like to use? =)

dowjones
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Have some fun with dad demoing some rackets and let him decide.

jlambertou
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
He lives 2 and a half hours away from anywhere he could demo racquets. But anyway... any other suggestions? And what should I string it with?

anirut
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I would suggest the nBlade. Readily available.

Either the PK Redondo 98 or the PK Core 1 No. 6 (95") or No.10 (100"). The Core series may surprise your dad as they have wooden core in them -- and they are really nice to play with.

These PK's are difficult to find, BTW.

dowjones
04-30-2007, 08:22 PM
No demo = crap shoot

tenniko
04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
closest thing to a wooden racquet = PS 85

goober
04-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Wilson nfury mp. RA=50

TW describes it: "We found this one to be about as close as graphite racquets come to wood, albeit without the weight."

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NFURY.html

jlambertou
05-01-2007, 05:44 AM
the nFury is just odd - why did they make it so light?

mctennis
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Get him a Volkl V1 Classic. It is a well developed racquet for a lot of different playing levels and feels nice with great control.