PDA

View Full Version : Wilson K Factor K Surge Mini-Review

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I had an extensive hit with this stick this past weekend.

A little background: I'm a 4.5 player, 6'2", 180 lbs. I use a semi-western (4/4) forehand and eastern one-handed backhand. I play with a Volkl C10 Pro MP strung with Pacfic Prime Natural Gut 15L @ 60 lbs/27 kilos. For a while now, I've been considering a switch to a lighter, stiffer frame. The reasons have to do with how I'm changing my game. I'm trying to add more explosiveness and athleticism to my game. I have a good serve and good returns but I feel like I can and should be much more aggressive off the ground. The problem is I don't think my racquet supports that game. I've dabbled with the Babolat Aero Pro Drive and Pure Drive Roddick. At the Pacific Life Open I had a pretty fun demoing experience with the Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour. However, these frames seem to have too much swingweight for me. The key for me right now is to hit as many forehands as I can, with a lot of spin, but lower trajectory. I'm using the slice primarily for defense and I'll come over the one-hander sometimes, but especially on anything short--I'm really trying to be more assertive with it. That means I need a frame I can whip around really fast and manuver in a flash.

I was delusional a day earlier and spent a couple of hours with the Wilson K Six-One Tour 90. Though that stick was amazing for serves, returns, and backhands (both topspin and slice), it was too hard to manuver, I framed way too many forehands, and a lot of my forehands would go long because I couldn't generate enough racquet speed or create the proper racquet path to consistently hit the kind of ball I wanted to.

The demo: The next day, I spent a lot of time demoing many 'tweeners. I reached for the Prince O3 Red (non-Speedport), Prine O3 White, Yonex RQS 11, Volkl DNX 9, Wilson nPro Open (standard length), Wilson nCode nBlade, Head Microgel Extreme and Extreme Pro. The Red felt too dead to me, the RQS was too hard to manuver on the backhand, the DNX 9 and nBlade were not lively enough, the Extreme Pro had too much swingweight, and the Extreme's 1/4 inch extra length was problematic. So the nPro Open and O3 White made it through the initial screening process. I decided to check out one or two more racquets. The K Factor Team and Surge caught my eye. The Team was a pretty fun racquet but I couldn't get enough oomph on my groundies or kick on my second serves with it.

The Surge was simply dynamite. The frame was so light but solid. I was able to play the exact kind of tennis I wrote about earier. Hitting with a 5.0-5.5, I was able to run around and hit some huge forehands, play great defense to get back in the point and hit more forehands, serve big, and be confident in knowing that my racquet was supporting my newly evolving game.

Unfortunately, I didn't have volleying experience with the frame, but the K Surge's ability to not get pushed around by big groundies or serves has me confident that volleys won't be a problem.

I bought one and will be stringing it with Wilson NXT Tour 16 @ 60 lbs. My demo was strung with Wilson Reaction 16 @ 60 lbs.

If you're looking to play a more aggressively, I highly recommend this frame. Don't let the K Surge's light weight and swingweight scare you off. It's a super-solid hit.

Bottle Rocket, if you're reading this man, try out this stick!

KingOfTennis
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
wow lucky, i bet i wont see one in my local shop for more than 6 months from now.

fearless1
04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Yup, K Surge is a fun and easy racquet to hit with. My main stick is the heavier K90 and I'll occassionally hit with one of my HPS 5.1 Surge X sticks. So, for me, swinging K Surge is like swinging a piece of balsa wood...very easy on arm/shoulder and easy to maneauver too. While hot dogging around with a demo K S, I was blasting away with my groundstrokes and volleys and getting most of them in although it's not the way I usually play since it's low percentage. For match play, I switch back to K90 for its better feel and accuracy potential. These lighter racquets are so tempting!

On a more general note, I'm pretty impressed with Wilson's nano/K technologies. I've have demoed most of the racquets in the K line and have determined that overall, the K Factor feel is one that is solid without being jarring. The difference is most obvious when I compare a K racquet to an older similar hypercarbon version of the same racquet or to a different brand but similair model racquet such as a Babolat PD.

You should also try the K Zen racquet. Similar to K Surge in terms of feel, but with more heft (swingwt) and power.

! ! ! ! ronakp10
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
funny. the npro open got the same reaction from people. i wonder if those two could be the same frame? ;)

This racket should have a good following too. Initially, the npro was having a hard time getting off theground with consumers, about a month before the austraillian open, there was a huge number of reviews about a racket that no one even knew about and a lot of people tried it and they loved it! And right before the austraillian open, wilson pulled this racket off the market to introduce their k line which included another surge type of racket. n pro = k surge (-$70).

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
The K Surge and nPro Open, while similar, are not exactly the same. The K Surge feels more solid while swinging slightly easier. There is a noticeable difference.

ryohazuki222
04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
The K Surge is, to me, an odd sort of racket. Odd in how you guys are reviewing...

A little history: Used to play with stock warrior mp's. They were great. I added a little lead tape and they felt more solid. I played that way for a while. Then I messed around with a 12oz slazenger x1 for a month and upon switching back to the warriors -- i couldnt play with them -- they were too light. I added enough lead to make them 12 oz... problem solved. I thought I couldn't play with light rackets anymore.

Recently I bought a K surge on a whim. My Gf uses the ncode surge and will probably switch the the k surge eventually. It was really weird. I, personally, didn't like the feel. It felt REALLY light... almost like nothing, especially compared to the clubs I'm now used to. But somehow I was able to play just fine with them, and they weren't really as unstable as one would expect basing it on how light they are. I didn't try many volleys, but forehands were solid, and thanks to the lightness it was A LOT easier to serve, and they were maybe a little faster too.

Just wanted to give my two cents that the K surge is odd in the sense that it's so light and feels so light, but almost plays like my 12oz rackets.

One concern I had though was that since it was so light, I felt that maybe my shots weren't as "heavy" as usual... no idea if this was true or not though.

And for any interested, though I just bought the k surge about a month ago, my gf hasnt had a chance to try it out properly (she wants to demo it strung with her usual nxt -- it's currently strung with PSGD) I may be selling it now since I need the money for a couple Slazengers my dad's gonna try and pick up for me while he's in London.

So if anyone is interested in a practically new K surge with case and warranty card give me an email at ryohazuki222@gmail.com.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
i went to pacific life and demoed rackets at the tw too! i coulda saw you there..