PDA

View Full Version : Anybody experiencing tennis elbow with Tecnifibre sticks?

Jeff Nuese
04-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Strange, Ive been playing my whole life and never had any elbow pain whatsoever until now. I currently use both the t-fight 320 18x20 and the t-feel 305 18x20 trading off on days when the elbow is really acting up. I like the way these frames play but not worth the pain Im getting after matches. Any suggestions?

! ! ! ! ronakp10
04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
This happened to me too!!! I demoed two (i forgot which ones), but I served with it (just serves) for about 45 min. and about 15 min. later, my elbow was just hurting and I had no idea why. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

FedUp
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
This can't be true!!!! I don't want to ditch my racquets!! I use the 320 and 335 without modifications and without any TE. I hope more people render their experiences with these racquets because, after a lot of searching, I thought that I finally found the right ones!!

iplaybetter
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I have no isues with TE and I use a 335 with full pro redcode at 57lb

kingdaddy41788
04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
335 has a stiffness of 63. 320 has a stiffness of 64. No way these are causing your tennis elbow.

gn8
04-30-2007, 08:19 PM
trading off on days when the elbow is really acting up.

I would suggest that you don't switch between the two.
Let your arm and muscles get used to the weight, balance and feel of 1 racquet.
I would choose the 320 and stay with it.
Also, until the pain subsides string with a softer string at mid to low tension.

I served with it (just serves) for about 45 min. and about 15 min. later, my elbow was just hurting and I had no idea why.:)

Only hitting serves with a racquet you're not accustomed to could cause this.
Your arm and muscles are used to a different weight and balance.
IMO, you just over did it a bit.

bagung
04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
to avoid tennis elbow pain, i have switched to heavier, HL racquet with below 60 in stiffness and soft string such as gut and multi.....

nyc
04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I got TE from Playing a HEAD FXP Prestige MP with X1 Biphase.

Switched to TF 335 and 320's (with Poly/Syn Gut Hybrid) and no TE issues at all.

If anything, switching to the 305 on bad days would aggrevate the TE issue.
Are you playing a full poly setup in your 18x20?

LarougeNY
04-30-2007, 09:12 PM
335 has a stiffness of 63. 320 has a stiffness of 64. No way these are causing your tennis elbow.

Agreed. It possible that the new frames altered your swings and your technique, so that can be a cause of TE (poor technique)

jayserinos99
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Depends on teh feel of TF frames; I have a really sensitive arm and I find that some Yonexes and TF frames have a 'metallic' feel to them that my just doesn't like (irregardless of stiffness).

Duzza
05-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Here's a thought from me. The TF335 has an extremely low SW for its static weight, maybe the fast swing through you achieve from this racquet causes your elbow to be uncomfortable. I have no idea if this would be true, but I can imagine my arm sort of hurting if I was using a very, very low SW racquet, because of the ease of swing.

grass_hopper
05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
TE could be caused by wrong grip(too small) and hitting late too.

bdog
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I have done a fair amount of research for a paper I am submitting about TE and GE. I am not a doctor, just a teaching pro trying to help juniors and adults I coach to avoid possible injury. My research and interviews has been mostly casual and my findings are based on common denominators. Equipment, grip, swing motion, string, flex, weight, balance and age are all contributors. Any one of these or combinations there of are factors in TE and GE. But unfortunately, no conclusive evidence pointing toward the most common cause. Rather, your elbow is telling you that it did not like the change you made (it is up to you to find what that change is). Even though you think nothing is different about your game, you are subconsiously making adjustments to your game from the change. These small adjustments can cause GE quickly and TE slightly longer over time. That's why I tell eveybody I coach, please take your time when trying something new and develop it slowly. I cringe when I see adults grab a new demo racquet and swing as hard as they can from the get go. Serving out like they are not doing any damage. Go tell an eastern forehand guy to switch to a western grip and 9 out of 10 times he will end up with GE over time if he swings hard right away.

We see eveybody trying to blame equipment rather than blame ourselves for injury. My advice is to make any changes slowly and to do the research. Health is more important than finding the holy grail in racquets.

One doctor has made a small correlation with stability which I agree with. Stability can come from many forms in tennis. A better grip and better technique on the stroke (which lends itself to hitting it on the sweet spot). More static weight and/or favorable balance to you ability (some people prefer head light and some prefer head heavy). One bio-mechanic teacher just said, 'focus better and hit the ball on the sweet spot.....all the time!', which could be translated into better foot work. Stability can be what you define it as, so believe what you will from all this.....

To answer your question, the t335 is a great racquet. I have a few players of all ages using it and have not heard of any complaints. Same goes for the t320. I have heard good things about technifibre and applaud them for getting into the better player level of racquets. I personally like the t335 18x20, good weight, balance and flex. It is well made. That does not mean you are safe from TE/GE. Every racquet can cause this. It is up to you to prevent it.......

iplaybetter
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Switched to TF 335 and 320's (with Poly/Syn Gut Hybrid) and no TE issues at all.

which do you like better i have a 335 and am getting another but should a get a 320 and lead it up because lately my arm has been getting tired, not TE

bdog
05-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I prefer the t335 more because I like heavy player racquets. The t320 is making small inroads with the junoirs and the t335 is popular on the college circuit. Pepperdine is big I believe on this stick, plus string too. Both are great racquets.

Most customizers put lead at both ends to compensate for balance. Buying a racquet and putting lead on the head only, changes the characteristics. I would not recommend this unless you know what you want from a racquet (it sounds like you have the experience though). Adding lead to both ends of a t320, is just like buying a t335. I would buy the t335 then, because it plays softer.

cghipp
05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Depends on [the] feel of TF frames; I have a really sensitive arm and I find that some Yonexes and TF frames have a 'metallic' feel to them that my [arm]just doesn't like (irregardless of stiffness).I agree completely (especially about the Yonex frames, esp. Ti-80). I don't think you can say that X stiffness definitely will be a cause of tennis elbow and Y stiffness won't. It depends on both the person AND the frame. Some people are more sensitive than others, and some racquets seem to generate more vibration than other racquets of the same stiffness level. YMMV!

nyc
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
which do you like better i have a 335 and am getting another but should a get a 320 and lead it up because lately my arm has been getting tired, not TE

During the Winter months I only played once a week and I could feel my arm getting tited with the 335. So I gave the 320 a shot and it really helped. Incidentally, it was an old stick from jedeloach and it was already leaded up at 3 and 9. It immediately felt great, just the right amount lighter. Now that I play several times a week, I added lead at 12 as well and it really helped my serves, and got a second one as well.

I recently grabbed one of my 335s and hit with it, but I do like the 320 almost better with all the room for customization.

All of them are 16x20, BTW.

iplaybetter
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
so what do you think 320 or just get the same frame and get stronger

nyc
05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
so what do you think 320 or just get the same frame and get stronger

I suggest to get a demo of the 320 and play with some added lead

iplaybetter
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
can i add lead to a demo and if i am starting to get less tiered should i just get another 335

ichibanosaru
05-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Everybody,

After FOUR shoulder operations, I have to be very careful in which racquets I play and coach with. From my experience, I have found that Tecnifibre racquets are much easier on my arm than others (such as Wilson Surge and Babolat Pure Drive). Currently I am using the T-Fight 320 (16X20) and absolutely love it.

Comments?

cghipp
05-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Have you tried any of the Pro Kennex Kinetic series racquets?

Richie Rich
05-05-2007, 04:07 AM
i've played with the 325 for 2 years strung with all kinds of things but mainly poly and not a hint of TE. not even a 1 year stint with a Bab PD gave me TE.

dan_the_man
11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
In case anyone is counting votes . . .

I just purchased a Tecnifibre T-Fight 335 and have tennis elbow for the first time in my life. It happened almost immediately. At first, I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the weight of the racquet (which it may be), but it has happened on each of the 4 occasions I used this racquet. I will switch back to my prior racquets and see if it goes away. I sure hope it does, because I could imagine it getting worse quickly . . . and taking a long time to heal.

dan_the_man

gregmiata
11-16-2007, 01:10 PM
I had a major problem with TE this spring (first time in 16 years playing) and currently own the TF320 in both patterns and the TF335 16x20. They have given me no problems.

Greg

snoflewis
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
i got TE w/ the tf325. i dont know how the new ones are, but the older ones felt very stiff even though on paper, it doesnt say so.

ollinger
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm using the T-Feel 300 which has a strung flex rating of 63, making it perhaps the most arm friendly Tecnifibre. It's a terrific racquet with plenty of pop (surprising for its weight, but the head is 102 sq. in.) and I've had no arm discomfort. A little costly now that the Euro is up to nearly a buck and a half....one has to get these in Europe; Tecnifibre has not made it available in USA. (I had some shipped over not long ago).

dan_the_man
11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I honestly don't think the TE is, per se, caused by the racquet. I think its just balanced differently than what I am used to using. I use a 6.1 classic. And while the 6.1 is heaver (on my scale), the 6.1 is also more headlight and feels easier to swing. In fact, the 335 feels more comfortable and flexier than the 6.1 - but its a little harder to swing. The balance must have caused me to change my form on some of my shots (backhand?) and maybe swing a little later than I should. I suspect if this TE goes away with my normal racquet, that I could slowly adjust to the 335 over the course of a few months without any problems.
We'll see.

dan_the_man