PDA

View Full Version : Best for Spin & Reaction Shots?

babolat_rocks
04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I am getting ready to demo some new sticks, with the goal of finding a fracquet that will let me generate more spin & control than my present setup, a little less power, but still retain good response on reaction shots. I am an improving 3.5 player with heavy topspin FH & slice BH, and like to chip & charge on opportunities. Also play some doubles. So, I need an all-around stick that is especially good at spin & forgiving for reaction / defensive shots.

From researching on this site, I have narrowed my choices (in order of enthusiasm):

Prince O3 Tour (this one sounds perfect!)
Babolat AeroPro Drive (Also sounds great, but worried about stability)
Wilson Npro Open (this one also sounds very good)
Head Radical FXP (Maybe not so good at net?)
Yonex RDS 001 MP (maybe not forgiving enough)

Any feedback / thoughts on these? Any don't below here, or something I am missing. I would like to narrow the field to 4 racquets to demo carefully.

haerdalis
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I think you should try the NSRQ 7 instead of the RDS001 MP.

AndrewD
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Prince O3 Tour = great if you generate your own power or are a touch player. great for spinning the ball, less able when driving it. If you've got variety and good hands you should like it.

Babolat AeroPro Drive = if you hit in the sweetspot it's very stable (felt okay on off-centre shots too). lots of spin but less feel. that mightn't worry you but I need to feel my shots to spin them.

Head Radical FXP = Good at net if you are. Not my favourite radical but had power and felt comfortable.

Yonex RDS 001 MP = its okay. good spin, good power, not hard to swing. I dont like Yonex but that's one I enjoyed.

I'd also throw in the TT Warrior MP. Easy to spin the ball, great on volley, many people swear by it and it is very cheap.

rabidcow
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Well I fell in love with the Wilson nPro Open but was a little turned off by the price, over the summer. I demoed the Pro Kennex Type S which feels almost the exact same in my opinion and loved it. You may have trouble putting your hands on one of these but if you can give it a try

mhstennis100
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I use the O3 tour ms and I hated the APD. To much power, just couldn't get in a groove with it. The Yonex RDS001 just felt weird to me. Balance felt bad and felt too light. I've hit a few times with my friends LM Radical and don't really care for it, but haven't hit much with the FXP version. I've never hit with the NPro.

cereal
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Prince o3 tour-
I generate some craazy kick on my serve(like it bounces 6ft high)
forehand you have to adjust a tiny bit but once you do its awesome
your backhand will improve and your overall control will highly increase.
Power, its sort of there...if you can genreate and your own and havent found a stick to control it this is it.

Chip n' charge
04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
The Babolat AeroPro Drive is a fantastic racquet. The spin one can generate with it is outstanding. I used to use it but it was too stiff for my liking. All the sticks you have on your list are good but the Babolat is the best.

Attila the tennis Bum
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
The Babolat AeroPro Drive is a fantastic racquet. The spin one can generate with it is outstanding.

I second that! But be aware that the APD with cortex is coming out any day now!

babolat_rocks
05-01-2007, 07:29 AM
BTW, I can generate my own power on groundstrokes when I have time to prepare (in fact, I need to generate less). At the same time, I need some pop for reaction shots, as I am still developing my timing and often find myself making defensive shots with no opportunity to setup & generate power.

Seems like O3 tour MP & APD are getting good responses.

I have heard the O3 tour MP is reasonbly forgiving. Any experience with that?

How about the APD? How forgiving is it on reaction shots?

latinking
05-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Prince 03 tour is by far the most spin friendly stick I have ever used. Great racket overall, for doubles too.

stevekim8
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
i had a match with this guy who had o3 tour. and he has SO MUCH spins. his slice/kick serve bounce really high and topspin like crazy

mhstennis100
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I use the O3 mid. I like the extra weight and I like the smaller head compared the the 100 mp. I get a lot of spin from the 16X20 pattern with poly/syn guy hybrid. It's a good racket.

T_S_N
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
apd with pro hurricane tour is fairly forgiving

kalic
05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
You 're right, O3 tour is perfect for what you looking for

babolat_rocks
05-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Any thoughts on O3 Tour or APD for doubles?