PDA

View Full Version : Headsize and Spin..My Thoughts

dirkgnuf
04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
The other day, I was just thinking about tennis and I realized something. I recall looking at videos of Bjorn Borg hitting tremendous topspin with his 68 in Donnay Pro. Then I looked at Federer, Agassi, Nadal, and myself.

What I noticed about Borg which I don't seem to notice much with other players is his extreme, exaggerated low to high swing. I assumed that he had to use such a swing to produce the topspin from his racquet. However, now that racquet head size is larger and beam width has increased, there's a greater angle to generate spin from. When I look at today's pros they all seem to lack that extreme low to high swing. I mean, I looked at the USTA video pro tennis analysis, and pros seem to generate lots of topspin with less of a low high swing, a less swing slope.

My question is, am I right about this? All players mentioned used semi-western to western grips with open stance etc, yet their swing paths are noticably different as are their racquet headsizes
I mean, I doubt that Agassi could generate as much topspin as he usually does if he used Federer's racquet, so my other question is, when people say that you have to possess good technique to get spin of dense string patterns or small headsizes, would that also mean they'd need a more exaggerated low-to high swing, or in Federer's case, extreme pronation etc.
Thanks

Bottle Rocket
04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think there is any relationship...

Federer's swing is not so unorthodox, he just get's tremendous racket head speed on all shots. His timing is perfect.

Nadal does have an exaggerated low to high swing. After all, he does end his swing over his head most of the time.

If you look at the rest of the current pro's in the top 100 the majority of them use frames within a few inches of 98. You can find all styles of play.

Not nearly enough people following any patterns to come to any conclusions in my opinion.

I am not totally sure what your conclusion is. You need a sharper swing path with a smaller head? Flatter swings produce the same amount of spin with an OS?

dirkgnuf
05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Clarified what I meant to say.

Roger_Federer.
05-01-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't get the question....

travlerajm
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Most of today's pro racquets are more spin-efficient than the racquets of Borg's day. Federer's setup is designed for maximum bite, so that he doesn't need a steep swingpath to hit lots of topspin. Roddick's setup, in contrast, is designed for maximum power. It is has a less polarized weight distribution, so Roddick needs to use a steeper swingpath to hit with as much topspin as Federer does.

thefan
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Federer's setup is designed for maximum bite,

Interesting, how does one get a racquet to achieve maximum bite. Take my PS85 for example, can you suggest me a setup for that racquet for more "bite" / spin?