PDA

View Full Version : Courier and Edberg's Pro Staff 85's -- St. Vincent?

Mickey Finn
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
There are many posts here about the St. Vincent Pro Staff 85 used by Pete Sampras. Did Edberg and Courier also insist on a St. Vincent? Late in their careers, Edberg had a pj and Courier had an all-black racquet that looked like their old Pro Staff racquets. Were these any different from the racquets they used at the start of their careers?

In the early nineties, I played with Wilson Pro Staff 85's made in Taiwan with braided graphite. I took time off from tennis and then shelved the frames because I found it hard to generate topspin and got frustrated with how rapidly they broke strings.

I recently took them out of storage and love the feel and the way they can hit a ball on the dime, but heavy topsin is still a problem. Anyone know how these Taiwan frames differ from the St. Vincents?

Mickey Finn
05-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I should have posted this in "Pros' Racquets and Gear," should any moderators stumble across this.

gsquicksilver
05-01-2007, 12:27 AM
i don't believe the taiwan versions ever came out without a bumper guard. post some pics.

andreh
05-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, Edberg turned pro in 1983 and always used the original Pro Staff w/o a bumper (except for a brief period in late 86 where he tried an Addidas frame). So, I guess he used a St. Vincent model.

Mickey Finn
05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
My racquets are from 1992 and say TAIWAN under the W on the cap. Originally, they did have the bumper guard.

andreh
05-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I read somewhere that (some?) taiwan stick had the cosemtic that said "braided grahpite/kevlar" but was still all graphite. Can't remeber where, though. Is this correct??

Rabbit
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Courier did use the St. Vincent. Sampras got first picks throughout.