PDA

View Full Version : Do the top Pros wish they were more like you and me?

Attila the tennis Bum
05-01-2007, 05:14 AM
If someone had told me while I was playing tennis, 'look, I have this problem in my life,' I would not have known what they meant, not really. Everything was looked after for me. I was following my schedule. Practice , eating, sleeping..." Bjorn Borg

On his premature retirement, Borg refelcted, that he craved complication (you might say he wanted to be John Mcenroe). And once he had stepped out of the lines of the tennis court, he found it.

Having been faithfully supported in every detail of his career by his wife and fellow player, Mariana Simionescu, Borg put down his racquet and almost immediately left her for a 17 year old he met while judging a wet T-shirt competition. This abrupt desire for chaos was topped by Boris Becker, who on the evening of his last match at Wimbledon, with his pregnant wife in the hospital, found himself in a broom closet at Nobu in London with a Russian model; that brief union, which resulted in a child, cost him his marriage and roughly $20 million. ( mens vogue).

Gugafan_Redux
05-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Here on TW, we don't like to consider human factors such as emotions, aging, family, and other ethereal things. Either you're the GOAT or you should retire.

Warriorroger
05-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Come on, playing tennis and get paid for it, deal with problems like us mortals without all the luxury.

Attila the tennis Bum
05-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Here on TW, we don't like to consider human factors such as emotions, aging, family, and other ethereal things. Either you're the GOAT or you should retire.

Borg chose the later at the ripe old age of 25 or 26.

Alafter
05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
If someone had told me while I was playing tennis, 'look, I have this problem in my life,' I would not have known what they meant, not really. Everything was looked after for me. I was following my schedule. Practice , eating, sleeping..." Bjorn Borg

On his premature retirement, Borg refelcted, that he craved complication (you might say he wanted to be John Mcenroe). And once he had stepped out of the lines of the tennis court, he found it.

Having been faithfully supported in every detail of his career by his wife and fellow player, Mariana Simionescu, Borg put down his racquet and almost immediately left her for a 17 year old he met while judging a wet T-shirt competition. This abrupt desire for chaos was topped by Boris Becker, who on the evening of his last match at Wimbledon, with his pregnant wife in the hospital, found himself in a broom closet at Nobu in London with a Russian model; that brief union, which resulted in a child, cost him his marriage and roughly $20 million. ( mens vogue).

Mirka watch out!

CyBorg
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
This is why Marat Safin is the most emotionally stable tennis player in the world.

And I'm not even exagerrating all that much. The guy actually has a life outside of the tennis court, which is more than you can say about most successful players.

SoBad
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
This is very thought-provoking, not just about tennis pros but about any "over-achiever", for lack of better word. I think it is true that often times men who achieve a lot do so at the expense of devoting all of their attention to the activity that they excel at and ignoring other aspects of life. More often than not, it seems, the activity is their career and the ignored aspect is their sex life.

Kobble
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Life comes down to focus. We have only so much time and energy.

Alafter
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
This is very thought-provoking, not just about tennis pros but about any "over-achiever", for lack of better word. I think it is true that often times men who achieve a lot do so at the expense of devoting all of their attention to the activity that they excel at and ignoring other aspects of life. More often than not, it seems, the activity is their career and the ignored aspect is their sex life.

I believe taking a sample of what you see in life hardly qualifies a sweeping statement as valid. You know what this calls for?

SoBad
05-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I believe taking a sample of what you see in life hardly qualifies a sweeping statement as valid. You know what this calls for?

I don't. Would you be so kind as to elaborate?

tennis_hand
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Almost all athletes are like this. Not only tennis players.
I am sure some of them will say they wanna be like us. but if they were really us, they would say they wanted to be like pros. Never ending...the other side is always better...

isuk@tennis
05-01-2007, 09:29 PM
if they really wanted to be us they wouldn't take those big pay checks and just take the trophy and play for a yearly salary of 100K or less.
hell even regular people don't get trophies for their daily work.
they say they want to be like us when they have all that money already in the bank. what will they say when they got no money?

Alafter
05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't. Would you be so kind as to elaborate?

Scientific analysis.

charlottefromca
05-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Scientific analysis.

Lol, I thought you were going to say SEX.

Alafter
05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Lol, I thought you were going to say SEX.

I didn't exclude it, did I?

isuk@tennis
05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
^^^ haha nice

TennisandMusic
05-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Do the tennis pro's wish they were more like you and me? You mean bad at tennis and broke? No.

Warriorroger
05-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Do the tennis pro's wish they were more like you and me? You mean bad at tennis and broke? No.

Great post!!! I second that!

Buuurnz
05-02-2007, 05:57 AM
they wouldnt be pros if they'd wish to be more like u and me!

Attila the tennis Bum
05-02-2007, 05:58 AM
they wouldnt be pros if they'd wish to be more like u and me!

They don't know what its like to be a pro until they actually are one.

Borg decided he did not want it anymore.

Mats Wilander after reaching #1 and winning the AO, the US open and the FO all in the same year decided he did not want it anymore.

The Williams sister go back and forth with the idea.

Hingis sort of decided to take a break for a while. (I never believed that foot injury b.s.).

Former #2 in the world Andrea Jaegar quit tennis and is now a nun!

PurePrestige
05-02-2007, 07:45 AM
I imagine some pro's just don't have much of a life outside of tennis just like Borg cases such as Sharapova who had been pretty sheltered living at Bollettieri most of her pre-teen and teen years.
But some pro's have it pretty nice and keep a level head. Like Roddick, he used to just drill forehands and eat cheetos. Now he works harder but thats of his own volition rather than being told what to do and how to do it.

Funny, I think Nadal said it best. Though he seems like a candidate for having everything set out for him to do each day. On the Tennis Channel inside with Rafa when he went fishing, "It's important to do well in the tenis, but it is also important to enjoy the life."

:P

JRstriker12
05-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Do the pros wish that they were like us? Probably not!

If they did wish to be like you and me, all they have to do is drop the racket, and pick up a standard 9-5 job.

It's not like they are forced to be pro athlete with no choice in the matter.

As for the examples of Borg and Becker, I'd say thier faults make them pretty much human.

ndtennis
05-02-2007, 05:53 PM
yea as you Jr. Player its everyone dream to become a top pro... not your average Joe

SoBad
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
OK I took scientific approach to the question by picking six pros and analysing their attitudes. We had selected six tour pros at random for the study and analysed their attitudes, etc. The conclusion of the study is that roughly half of the players want to be like you and me:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p230/SoBad2006/HAPPY.jpg

CanadianChic
05-03-2007, 10:45 PM
It just sounds like a regular, run-of-the-mill midlife crisis to me (regardless of the age). So no one is around to wipe their nose anymore and they step out to enjoy what they feel they have "missed out" on - the joy and freedom of youth. Unfortunately, these are grown men with responsibilities that they need to carry through on. Do I feel any pro would like to change my cat's litter and take out the garbage? Yeah, probably not - but they probably would enjoy a little more "down time". IMO.

edmondsm
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
OK I took scientific approach to the question by picking six pros and analysing their attitudes. We had selected six tour pros at random for the study and analysed their attitudes, etc. The conclusion of the study is that roughly half of the players want to be like you and me:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p230/SoBad2006/HAPPY.jpg

Trust me, Safin is not happy. He told me himself while we were drinking warm beer and smoking Luckies the night before he won the Aussie.

SoBad
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Trust me, Safin is not happy. He told me himself while we were drinking warm beer and smoking Luckies the night before he won the Aussie.

That's anecdotal evidence, I could incorporate it into this study by revising the HAPPY factor for Safin down to "4", but both you and I know (and everyone knows, and knows that we know that they know it) that there would not be significant impact on the outcome of the analysis.

CanadianChic
05-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Get out!!! (Pssst.....did he talk about me??). RFLMAO :p

edmondsm
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
That's anecdotal evidence, I could incorporate it into this study by revising the HAPPY factor for Safin down to "4", but both you and I know (and everyone knows, and knows that we know that they know it) that there would not be significant impact on the outcome of the analysis.

Significant Impact?!?! You can't de-throne a king by peeing on his castle.

All he talked about was beating up homeless people.

ShooterMcMarco
05-03-2007, 11:30 PM

I emailed Safin last night, he thinks you're ridiculous for liking rain and moving to Seattle because of it.

CanadianChic
05-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I emailed Safin last night, he thinks you're ridiculous for liking rain and moving to Seattle because of it.

LOL - too late, it's now a done deal. ;) I'm sure he'll find a way to get over it.

SoBad
05-03-2007, 11:32 PM
http://denisbessonov.narod.ru/KafelSafin.jpg

edmondsm
05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
LOL - too late, it's now a done deal. ;) I'm sure he'll find a way to get over it.

Where in Seattle if you don't mind?

CanadianChic
05-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Where in Seattle if you don't mind?

Everett actually (about 25 miles north of Seattle).

edmondsm
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Everett actually (about 25 miles north of Seattle).

Well we're neighbors in a sense. I've made the upper Northwest home for 10+ years. Don't go bringin' that hockey stuff here.:)

CanadianChic
05-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Edmondsm, come to the bistro for a sec. I don't want to derail this thread any more, but I'm curious and want to pick your brain a bit.

EasternRocks
05-06-2007, 06:30 AM

Atila, are you Attila bulko?
just wonderring?]
in college rite?