PDA

View Full Version : I got no topspin with Head Prestige!

MaratSafin_fan
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Today I was playing with Head Prestige. It feelt nice in the racket, the frame was soft and so on but I got no topspinn like I do with Babolat Pure Drive.

Why?!:confused: :confused:

Janne
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Could be alot of things like:

You cant get as good racquet head speed since it weights more.
Your technique.
The Prestige has a closed string pattern while the PD has an open string pattern.

rorschack
05-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Go to the STRING forum and you will find a solution under the guy asking for 17 or 18g string recommendation. Monster spin = Forten Thin Blend

kingdaddy41788
#1 - they are two completely different sticks. Pure Drive is all about creating power. Prestige is all about YOU creating power.

#2 - As Janne said, the PD has an open string pattern (16X19 on a 100 sq. in. racquet) and the Prestige has a closed string pattern (18X20 on a 93 sq. in. racquet). The same goes for Janne's other comments.

crash
Well, the Head Prestige and the Babolat pure drive are two very different racquets...The head size is much smaller and the string pattern is dense on the head prestige...You can try lowering the tension and using a more spin-friendly string on the prestige, but you'll never get the same topspin as you can get with a pure drive thats for sure. These are two different racquets for different styles of play.

MaratSafin_fan
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
should I string with 18kg in the racket for more topspin? today I was playing with 22-23kg. I mean.. I get topspinn of course with the Prestige. I have extreme western grip and so on but the Pure Drive gets a little bit more topspinn.
Should I have 18kg in the racket or what do you mean? :confused:

rollingbrock
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Stringing with less tension and a thinner gauge string will help, but the PD is a more powerful racquet with a more open string pattern. Therefore it will generate more spin. You are comparing apples to oranges...

OnyxZ28
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
A lot of it is technique too.

retrowagen
05-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Must be you.

Obviously, if you are accustomed to playing with a Babolat, with its "open" string pattern and larger head size, the Prestige Mid would seem difficult to generate topspin. It's all about the size of the string "grids": the larger the grid (the Babolat has a 16x19 pattern and is 100 sq-in. whilst the Prestige is 18x20 and roughly 90 sq-in.), the deeper the "bite" on the ball. And the deeper the bite, the easier spins could be generated. But that depends on you and how you swing.

However, using 17-gauge string versus 16 or 15L in the Prestige, will help make slightly larger string grids, thus adding a little bite. Dropping tension (thus increasing ball dwell time on the strings) might help add a little topspin, as well, again, depending on your strokes.

I have used the Prestige Classic 600 for quite some time, strung with 16-gauge string at maximum tension, and can generate as much topspin as I want... I do it, not the racket.

Say Chi Sin Lo
05-01-2007, 11:53 AM
... it's all technique

Before i started using prestiges... I used PRTi, and i didnt see a noticable difference in my spin production.

If you switch into a racquet thinking it'll give you less spin, you'll think you're making less spin with the racquet and then complain about it.

If something goes wrong in your game, really think about your techniques first before you start hurting your racquets

z-money
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Today I was playing with Head Prestige. It feelt nice in the racket, the frame was soft and so on but I got no topspinn like I do with Babolat Pure Drive.

Why?!:confused: :confused:

the pd requires you if you take big swings to use a semi or western because you need the spin. where as the prestige you can hit flat and drive through the ball and it wont ever feel bad. but the tight string pattern does hold back spin potential.

rorschack
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
... it's all technique

Not entirely true! Given the same swing path, and you have two rackets where #1 is 16x19 and #2 is 18x20, topspin can be generated with much LESS effort with #1 than #2. This comes from personal experience. I play with the FXP RAd Tour (16x19) and PT280/PC600 (18x20). With the FXP Rad Tour, I don't even have to think about it and my topspin is monsterous! Where with the others, I would have to consciously try to brush up the ball more in order to get topspin but it's not still at the same level.

Same goes with strings. I was testing strings on the PT280 and was playing with plain old 17g syn gut. I switched to Forten Thin Blend. Boom! My topspin is back without even trying! Try that string then come back and let me know if it makes a difference or not.

If the string gauge does not matter, why do they bother have so many different gauges? If the string pattern does not matter, why do they have 16 main vs 18 main?

The PC600 is not a spin racket! If you want spin out of it, mess with different strings, tension, and your swing path.

With all that said, too much spin is not a good thing either.

stevekim8
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
same thing with me. it's gotta be the string pattern. when i play with o3 red, which is 16 x 19, it puts tons of spin, but with my lm prestige, which is 18 x 20, not much spin. but flat shot's good

Say Chi Sin Lo
05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
well i dont have a problem generating topspin with my pc600. And i didnt change anything because spin was there for from the get go.

Yeah there's the physics involved, on theory yes, an open pattern will give you more spin and power.
But if you swing fast, and gets a clean cut at the ball, you'll find all the spin you need... That's why people consider this as one of the most demanding racquets out there...

TheSnowMan
05-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Not entirely true! Given the same swing path, and you have two rackets where #1 is 16x19 and #2 is 18x20, topspin can be generated with much LESS effort with #1 than #2. This comes from personal experience. I play with the FXP RAd Tour (16x19) and PT280/PC600 (18x20). With the FXP Rad Tour, I don't even have to think about it and my topspin is monsterous! Where with the others, I would have to consciously try to brush up the ball more in order to get topspin but it's not still at the same level.

Same goes with strings. I was testing strings on the PT280 and was playing with plain old 17g syn gut. I switched to Forten Thin Blend. Boom! My topspin is back without even trying! Try that string then come back and let me know if it makes a difference or not.

If the string gauge does not matter, why do they bother have so many different gauges? If the string pattern does not matter, why do they have 16 main vs 18 main?

The PC600 is not a spin racket! If you want spin out of it, mess with different strings, tension, and your swing path.

With all that said, too much spin is not a good thing either.

According to this book http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-PHYSICS.html, the things you said were false. It is mostly technique.

TheSnowMan
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
... it's all technique

Before i started using prestiges... I used PRTi, and i didnt see a noticable difference in my spin production.

If you switch into a racquet thinking it'll give you less spin, you'll think you're making less spin with the racquet and then complain about it.

If something goes wrong in your game, really think about your techniques first before you start hurting your racquets

I agree :)

rafa_prestige89
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Go back to the tennis classes!

rorschack
05-01-2007, 07:20 PM
But if you swing fast, and gets a clean cut at the ball, you'll find all the spin you need... That's why people consider this as one of the most demanding racquets out there...

With a 16x19, I don't have to do as much work as you are in order to get the same amount of topspin you are getting. Didn't I use the words "LESS Effort" in previous posts? Effortless means less energy which translates to extra juice so you can beat your opponents if the match goes to 3 sets or 5 sets.

Let me ask you this, be honest, have you hit extensively with a 16x19?

I think your point is that a person can get enough topspin with 18x20 if he/she swing fast, brushes up on the balls, using technique, etc.

And my point is that you can get even more topspin without doing twice the amount of work you are doing.

I am not bagging on the PC600. I hit with the Prestige Pro (brownies) and the PT280. I switched to these because my FXP Radical Tour has too much topspin, not penetrating enough, and not enough control. I was willing to sacrifice topspin for control.

I'm just trying to point out that if you want the same amount of topspin as a 16x19, be prepare to do twice (arbitrarily) the amount of work on a 18x20.

phucng_10
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I've never played with the Head FP Prestige but my HS Team's Single#3 can whip, and spin with the FP Prestige!
His spins are insane, and its a huge bounce once the ball hit the floor.
I've played with the Babolat, and my spins are way better then when I'm playing with my Wilson n6.1 95.

Say Chi Sin Lo
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
With a 16x19, I don't have to do as much work as you are in order to get the same amount of topspin you are getting. Didn't I use the words "LESS Effort" in previous posts? Effortless means less energy which translates to extra juice so you can beat your opponents if the match goes to 3 sets or 5 sets.

Let me ask you this, be honest, have you hit extensively with a 16x19?

I think your point is that a person can get enough topspin with 18x20 if he/she swing fast, brushes up on the balls, using technique, etc.

And my point is that you can get even more topspin without doing twice the amount of work you are doing.

I am not bagging on the PC600. I hit with the Prestige Pro (brownies) and the PT280. I switched to these because my FXP Radical Tour has too much topspin, not penetrating enough, and not enough control. I was willing to sacrifice topspin for control.

I'm just trying to point out that if you want the same amount of topspin as a 16x19, be prepare to do twice (arbitrarily) the amount of work on a 18x20.

I used the PRTi for 3years (i believe that was a 16x20 pattern). Did i have to exert more force when i switched to prestiges? No

So to answer your question if i have used an open pattern extensive, yes i have. I love PRTi. I still have one and I hit with it once in a blue moon, and i never a difference in spin production.

You spoke about control, I believe that goes back to a player's techniques. There are tons (if not the majority) of pros using open pattern racquets (POG and 6.1 classic), and they dont have any issue with controlling their spin. A good example is Federer and Sampras. Sampras hit one of the flatter balls in the game. Safin's got one of the nastier kick serve in the game, and he uses a dense pattern. Nadal hits with a lot of spin on his groundstroke, but his kick serve is average on the pro circuit.

What i want from a racquet is how it feels upon contact and the stability. Control, spin, and power are all technical issues that can be worked out by personal training and spending quality time on the courts.

ripkirby
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Odd, I get more spin from my FXP Prestige than my friend's PDR. The Pure Drive Roddick is too ew for me. Like the previous poster said, I like a nice feeling racquet. Everything else can be changed by myself through practice.