PDA

View Full Version : Vantage 90 String break problem.

tennisp13
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
A little background.

I have 2 Vantage 90, 12pt HL, 340 gram. String with Unique Big Hitter 17 at around 55 or 56 lbs.

The last 4 times I break string it pop on the top frame grommet. 2 from mishits from the top of string bed, but 2 break when I hit the sweet spot but it still break in the top of the frame grommet.

With Unique Big Hitter on my other frame, PS 6.0 85 or Prince 03 Tour, it last more than 1 month, but on Vantage 90, it usually last 2 weeks.

1) Is this something wrong with the grommet too sharp and it cutting into my string. I just got the Vantage for only 2 months.

2) Any Vantage users have similar problem?

3) My guess could be the string too.

Note: I not flaming Vantage, just a question? I love the racket.

hoosierbr
05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
That's odd. I've been using the Vantage 90 (340g, 12pts HL like you) and have never broken a string. I use 17g gut all the way. Then again, I'm not a string breaker and hit flat.

I'm amazed you can break strings in two weeks. My guess would be that your mishits are very wild or there might be an issue with the grommet. Suggest you email Paul and fill him in and see what he has to say.

BLiND
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Agreed, while I did break strings it was after many hours of play, it must be your style... try a 16g poly.

Zets147
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Actually, this same thing happened with my brother on his PS Tour 90. Broke 3 strings on top of the racquet by the grommets.

After replacing the grommets, the problem disappeared.

All 3 strings were either poly and poly hybrids.

tennisp13
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I do hit with lot of topspin and I did try 16g poly which was way to stiff for me. I have been hitting with 17g poly for a long while now so it more lively for me. If I play with syn gut, i break in 2 days max playing. May contact Paul to see what his thought on this.

Voltron
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Check to see if the top grommets are sharp or cracked, if so, replace all the whole set. (It's easier, because then the whole set has equal wear)

Deuce
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Does the string protrude from the top of the bumper on this Vantage?
If it does - even a bit - the string can get damaged when digging out low balls... eventually leading to premature breakage.

If that's not it, put some tubing in the top grommets and see if that helps.

tennisp13
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Deuce, the string does protrude from the top of the bumper on both of my Vantage.

Maybe need a replacement gormmet :)

Bent
05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Shearing with polies :-(

I do this a lot (POG mid), but now install tubings in the 4 center m's.

Reduces the problem with app. 75 %

officerdibble
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
When I changed to my Vantages (similar weight but 95") I also changed my stroke mechanics somewhat (the change coincided with some excellent coaching I got in the states), I was breaking strings within an hour of playing. I had to stop using Wilson Sensation - it was getting silly (I was using it in a hybrid with BB Alu Power mains).

I changed initially to a BB Alu Power / Supersense combination and that lasted much, much better.

I've now changed to BB Alu Power / Gut, having just wanted to experiment, and am amazed at how long the gut is lasting (I'm using string savers, which must be helping too).

It's a quick job to change the grommett strip on your next restring, so you may as well do this just in case, but I'd give Supersense a try if you want something softish that won't break easily.

Deuce
05-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Deuce, the string does protrude from the top of the bumper on both of my Vantage.

Maybe need a replacement gormmet :)
If that's really the case, then you should tell Vantage to make a deeper bumper.

... and give you a few sets of free string to compensate for the broken ones.

tennisp13
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I send email to Paul at Vantage but doesn't get a reply yet :) Continue to wait..