PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switched from prestige mid to a larger head size ?

crash
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd like to know who played with one of the prestige mid (particularly interested in those playing with the pc600) and switched to a larger head size racquet. Why did you switch ? Are you guys happy with the switch ? What racquets did you switch to ? What are your likes and dislikes about the switch ?

I'm asking this because I'm currently playing with a prestige classic 600 and I have to decide between buying a few more and keeping this frame for years to come or demoing other frames that might be more "suited for the modern game". (I'm actually leaning towards keeping it, but maybe you guys can change my mind)

Thx

anirut
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, crash, not that I play the PC600 (though having it), but I think I'm moving from the Redondo mid to the Core 1 #6, a 95" head, open-pattern stick.

The Core #6 may seem like a light-weight frame at 330 gram unstrung, but it sure gives big results. The comfort is very PK.

retrowagen
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I have to decide between buying a few more and keeping this frame for years to come or demoing other frames that might be more "suited for the modern game". (I'm actually leaning towards keeping it, but maybe you guys can change my mind)

Play YOUR game, not "the modern game." I say stick with the pinpoint accuracy of the PC600, continue to work on building power, and work on you (training), not your racket.

A few years ago, I thought through the same exercise, bought a 98 sq-in. Fischer VT frame, played part of a season with it, and went back to the Head Mid. Nice though the Fischer was, I couldn't do things with it that I could routinely hit with the Head.

Andres
05-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I moved from a ProStaff 6.1 (95), to the PC600, and then, back to the PS, and one more time to the PC.

Now, I use both, depending on the situation.
Both are fantastic serving sticks. I prefer to use the PS on clay (the 16x18 string pattern allows better spin), and the groundies are cleaner, because of the bigger sweetspot. The kickserves kick more with the PS, but the PC is a little more powerful, both on serves and groundstrokes

I use the PC mostly on hard, carpets and syn grass, where I can take more advantage of the extra power.

Both are as smooth as silk, regarding to feel and feedback, though I prefer the PS for volleying, and the PC for serving.

Hope it helps :)

Tour 90
05-01-2007, 01:27 PM
If I switched, I would probably go to one of the dunlop 200's. They are very similar spec wise and more forgiving.

crash
05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I moved from a ProStaff 6.1 (95), to the PC600, and then, back to the PS, and one more time to the PC.

Now, I use both, depending on the situation.
Both are fantastic serving sticks. I prefer to use the PS on clay (the 16x18 string pattern allows better spin), and the groundies are cleaner, because of the bigger sweetspot. The kickserves kick more with the PS, but the PC is a little more powerful, both on serves and groundstrokes

I use the PC mostly on hard, carpets and syn grass, where I can take more advantage of the extra power.

Both are as smooth as silk, regarding to feel and feedback, though I prefer the PS for volleying, and the PC for serving.

Hope it helps :)

That's interesting as I find those two sticks quite different...You don't mind the big difference in stiffness ? I know I couldn't play with two racquets 10 points apart in stiffness, but everyone's different (I couldnt play with a 440 grams racquet either...).

I agree with you about the power though, the pc600 is very powerful for a midsize. In fact, I've tried a few midplus racquets that didnt have that much "extra pop" when you hit the ball right in the sweetspot. Thanks for your input Andres

To reply to retrowagen about that "Play your game, not the modern game" I totally agree with you. The thing is my game is pretty much what we could call the modern game. I'm only thinking that maybe a larger headsize could get me some advantages...I'm 18 so it might not be too late to switch (i have to say i've been playing with a prestige mid for the last three years)

Thanks for the responses guys