PDA

View Full Version : k-factor tour 90 or prostaff original 85.. should i switch?

ebster
05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
im looking for a little advice/help. I recently switched from a dnx 10 mid to the new k-factor tour 90, which i currently have 4 of. i really like the frame, but i feel that i want a little more control. i've read a lot on this forum about the prostaff original 85, and its got me wondering if that may be the racket for me. I also own a wilson sting midsize, so i know that switching down to 85 sq in won't be a problem.

basically, any advice on what my course of action should be? I know the 85's being sold currently by wilson aren't the same as the st. vincent's, but tw does sell them for $140 new, which is very reasonable, and it would make the switch very economical.

the only problem is i haven't hit with the frame yet. no one near me has one, so tryin before i buy doesn't seem to be an option.

if anyone who has made the switch from k90 to ps 85 or the other way around could let me know why they did so, that would be awesome.

any other ideas/comments/advice on either frame would be greatly appreciated.

-sean

the Town Sherif
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
i have played with the 85 and the k90, didn't like either because it took a toll on my body. however, the k90 asian version suits me well, so i play with that one.

Janne
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Seriously, the K90 should have all the control you'd ever need from a racquet. Please reconsider just practicing alot instead of spending money on new racquets.

ebster
05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
i know what you mean, and yes, it does. i think i phrased my initial statement incorrectly. the other thing i have read that i think i would like about the ps 85 is the feel. i have read it has the "bare bones" feel of a players control frame. also, i am being influenced by the monetary aspect, because if i got them used, i could make money by switching, especially if i just settled for getting three and getting rid of my 4 k factors.

i hope that helps

VGP
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Out of curiosity, what gripsize are your k90s?

Roger_Federer.
05-01-2007, 01:19 PM
K90, I just seem to play better with it.

KingOfTennis
05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
um if u already have 4 k90's why not use them?

power_play21
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
why on earth would someone buy 4 k90's??

ebster
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Out of curiosity, what gripsize are your k90s?

they are all 4 1/2

and to answer your question about having four of them, it is because i play a lot of tournaments and a break a lot of strings.. same reason most people have multiple frames.

i have been playin with these frames, and they are solid, but theres just "something" that is drawing me to the ps 85. idont know if that makes sense.

drakulie
05-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I am a long time user of the 85 (nearly 20 years), and switched to the K90. As others have stated, it would be a shame that you spent so much money on this racquet and are considering switching. My advice would be to try out some different tensions and/or strings before you go the route of buying a racquet you have never played with.

With that said, here is my review of the K90 compared to the 85 and ncode.

Review of k90, compared to Ncode 90 and PS 85. .

For those of you who don’t know, I use a PS 85 strung with Ashaway Kevlar crossfire II, 16 gauge, and add about 5 inches of lead at 3 & 9.

Ok went out and hit with the K90 today. It was strung with a synthetic gut (I didn’t ask what kind). The following is for BreakPoint: The demo I played with had a 4 ½ grip which seemed to run just a tad small, but hardly noticeable.

Just to refresh my memory, I warmed up with the Ncode 90. Hit ground strokes, volleys, slices, and some serves. Just like I remembered and others have experienced, it felt heavier to swing than my PS 85, and my 85 has lead added to it. I thought this racquet was awful when I first demoed it, and still feel the same way. Compared to the ps85, it feels like a hollow racquet, or tin can. The only benefit it has over the 85 is I feel like I get a little more power off the ground strokes. I enjoyed the Tours and Hyper Carbon 6.1 more than the ncode, with the Hyper Carbon winning that battle.

The K90.
I hit with it for about an hour and a half. I took time hitting all the strokes, and played around 5 tie breaks.

I want to start off by saying this racquet in now way, shape, or form swings anything like the ncode. They feel completely different--Night and day. Although I felt it still swings a bit heavier than the 85, it is nowhere near the “feel” of the swing weight of the ncode.

Ground strokes.
From the first ball hit I was absolutely amazed how much it feels (at impact) like the 85. It has the soft, but very crisp feel the 85 has. Nice thick response. Contact felt very solid, and full. The racquet felt very firm, yet soft. It is hard to describe, but those of you who love the feel of the 85 when you hit the sweet-spot know what I am talking about. It has that same feel and response!

Biggest difference between the k90 and the 85, was the amount of spin I could generate with this racquet. I was generating topspin much easier with the k90. Flatter balls were also easily achieved, and the control was still there. I was easily generating the same amount of pace as the 85, but as I said, was able to hit with more topspin with this racquet. I loved the control it had and feedback to my hand. It definitely feels like the 85, but with a tad more power. There is no drop off in control between this racquet and the 85. Slice backhands were also very crisp. Nice deep balls that skidded low, and the added spin made the slices have more action and bite to them.

This racquet is a big improvement over the 85 on ground strokes, without losing that thick sweet feeling all of us 85/95 users love so much.

Volleys: Of all the racquets I have demoed (Tour 90/95, Ncode 90/95, Wilson Hyper Carbon 6.1, Head I radical MP, Dunlop 200/300g, and yes even some Volkls, etc, etc, etc ) I felt the Dunlop 300 G was by far the best volleying racquet of all the modern racquets out there. Very close to the 85. I almost switched to this racquet, but unfortunately I hated it’s performance and feel on the serve.

The K90??? The volleys were unreal. The feel at contact was unbelievable. This racquet is an 85 on steroids at the net. It is easily maneuverable at net, and felt exactly like the 85 but with a bit more pop. Again, it felt exactly like the 85 but with more pop, and the sweet spot seems to be bigger. I was able to hit solid volleys that had great pop from the service line and place them with depth or angle where I wanted. I know I may get a lot of bananas or other objects thrown at me for this next comment from all my 85 brothers and sisters, but to me, this racquet outperforms the 85 at net.

Serve: Again, it felt like the 85 but with a little more swing weight. The control I was able to get, and pace was excellent. Once again, the feedback to my hand was the same as the 85. The one extra this racquet has over the 85 is the amount of spin it generates. Spin generated was crazy with this racquet. I was able to hit my first serve with the same, if not more amount of topspin as the 85 without trying as hard. First serves were biting more when they hit the ground, and popping up nice. However, I was not able to hit with as much pace as the 85, but not by much. I figured it was the swing weight I was not use to.

Second serve kick serves were where I really enjoyed hitting with the k90. My kick serves were light years ahead of the 85. I did not have to swing as fast with this racquet to generate the same amount of spin as the 85. I was enjoying the action and bite I was able to generate on the ball so much, I started hitting kick serves exclusively. I absolutely loved it.

All in all, an absolute pleasure to hit with. Wilson I believe has finally provided the 85 and 95 users with the PS 90. A PS 85 on steroids (not too much), without losing that classic feel we all love so much.

Please remember, these are my personal opinions. The best advice I could give anyone is to go out and hit with one yourself. Everyone responds differently.

Hope you enjoyed the review,

Signed,

Another convinced customer.

ebster
05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
drakulie,

yah, looks like im going to hang on to my k90's. that said, if i run into a good deal on a ps 85 sometime i may pick it up to satisfy my curiousity.

thanks everyone for the advice