PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to find good match to play?

brtennis
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
My son is 14 and in 8th grade. I would rate him 3.0-3.5 in adult league.

I'm having trouble finding him good tennis match to play. I put him in our local YMCA's junior program. However, the program director is so focus on his best 10-20 players that my son is left out and be constantly put on a second tier group mostly playing down. He is not good enough to play in high school varsity team and won't be in the next two years. The USTA's junior team tennis is in shamble in our town. And I'm too busy to drive him to out-of-town tournaments.

Are there any other ways for him to find good match to play in? My goal is simple for fun and getting exercise done. Thanks,

jkonecne
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Well it all depends on where you live. If it's hard to find tournaments, maybe talk to parents of the other kids and ask if they would car pool a group of kids to go to other tournaments around the area. Is there a J.V team?

103xStateChamp
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
If he is a 3.5 in 8th grade he should make Varsity soon. YMCA tennis sucks =/ I would recommend signing up for a real tennis program.

brtennis
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
He is in the third string JV team. His school's JV team is big enough that they played in alternating weeks and the competition level varies wildly, mostly too easy for him. He goes to a private school with a very strong tennis team. The boys in the varsity team are mostly ranked tournament players(top 100 in the state and some nationally ranked).

Matt_MS
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Where do you live? That would help in giving you advice about tournaments and such. My sister, when not playing in tournaments, usually stays after her lesson and her instructor allows her to play with an older girl who comes who is good, so it helps her play up and get better at the same time.

All-court Hero
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
May be too late, but whenever i try a new sport, i get one of my friends into it. That way i always have a partner somewhat close to the same skill level.