PDA

View Full Version : roddicks wimbledon

tennishead93
05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
i have a strong feeling in roddicks wimbledon this yr.

1. serve and volley-i think andy will bring the serve and volley tactic back
2. on court attitude
3.i believe he is ready to take on fed. with his serve fed can only block back roddick can come up for a simple put away volley on grass.

Roger_Federer.
05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
If Roddick can't beat Federer on Hardcourts, Roddicks home court, then he has no chance against Federer on Grass...

oscar_2424
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
you never know, you never know...

stormholloway
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Roddick would have to serve like Sampras and volley like Edberg or McEnroe to beat Roger.

He can't do either.

Forehand Forever
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Roddick has to put a lot of dedication into this if he wants to win Wimbledon. He can't get down on himself like he's done in the past and play Federer with big shots and get his huge forehand firing left and right.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
you never know, you never know...

DUDE, I KNOW I KNOW, everytime roddick playes fed, he said he can beat him, roddick was murdered he died in his semis match in the 2007 AO, do you really think roddicks improvement can beat fed? get real man, his improvement isnt even enough to wipe his own ***

kingdaddy41788
05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah. I like Roddick, but I'm not seeing this happening any time in the near future... or any time in the future at all.

Baghdatis72
05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Roddick winning Wimbledon is a very long shot in my book.

Hot Sauce
05-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Roddick winning Wimbledon is a very long shot in my book.

Understatement?

ibringtheHEAT
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
He's still young, he's got plenty of chances in the future.

Arafel
05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Understatement?

I doubt it. Since Wimbledon 2003, Roddick has proven himself the second best player in the world on grass. If Roger doesn't win it, I would think Roddick would. Grass is just as much a fit for Roddick's game, if not more so, than hard courts.

Mark Vessels
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM

2. on court attitude
3.i believe he is ready to take on fed. with his serve fed can only block back roddick can come up for a simple put away volley on grass.

AHHHHHH.....Federer is still bringin sexy back

Bottle Rocket
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Everyone hate Roddick too much to remember he had two match points on Federer at the Master's Cup?

Fed also had 2 match points against Nadal on clay. I think both matches can be won.

Will it happen? Probably not. It is stupid to think its out of the question though...

Hot Sauce
05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I can't really see how Roger wouldn't win it.

J-man
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
He in my opinion will get to the final. But I don't think he can take the title. Federer has shown that even though Roddick has improved tons he still can't dethrown the king.

pow
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I recall a lot of Youtube videos of Federer showing Roddick who's boss so I wouldn't bet all of my marbles just yet. Especially watching Roddick's performance thus far against Fed at AO '07 and Nadal at Indian Wells.

califsurferboy33
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
roddick almost always does the same slice backhand approach crosscourt to feds backhand. i think he should mix it up a lot more and put side spin on the ball and put it down the line so it slides away from fed's forehand. when on the run on the forehand side, fed hits crosscourt 80% of the time. so roddick stands about 1 to 2 feet to the left of the line dividing the add and duece services boxes and he will do really well with that backhand slice down the line.

federerfanatic
05-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Everyone hate Roddick too much to remember he had two match points on Federer at the Master's Cup?

Fed also had 2 match points against Nadal on clay. I think both matches can be won.

Will it happen? Probably not. It is stupid to think its out of the question though...

There is a huge difference between beating Roger in a best 3-out-of-5 set match in a slam final, when he has had 6 matches to build; to almost doing it in a best 2-out-of-3 set match only, in a round robin match format, when it is his first match of the event. No comparision.

After having his *** handed to him by both Federer and Nadal on hard courts already this year, Roddick's momentum has stalled yet again.

chiru
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Poor roddick just never gets any love. I mean, quite clearly, you have to absolutely love federer's chances against anyone on grass. But if Andy can hold serve every time, there's a good shot he'll win. When he played roger in 04 he served and hit tremendously, but he didnt have that S&V option to punish roger's block back returns. in 05, he didnt hit big, nor did he have S&V, so he got manhandled. This year, hes hitting harder, (maybe up to 04 standards) and knows how to volley. I give him a slim chance, but I think hes better than the talk tennis msg. board gives him credit for. How many naysayers were there before 06 us open and he made the final and took a set off of roger. not bad i'd say after dumping 3rd round to murray at the big W

rommil
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
The problem with Roddick is he speaks too early and yet when they step on the court you could tell Federer has neutered him already. Cmon let's be realistic about this whole serve and volley employment to Roddick's game. It might work on other players but not on Federer. It's a good addition yet also a sign of desperation on Roddick's part. Andy just doesn't have the natural feel and movement of such game.

Morrissey
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM

2. on court attitude

I have a strong feeling you're gonna be disappointed. Roddick's days of winning slams are slim with Fed and Nadal both are their heights of the game.

tintin
05-02-2007, 05:37 AM
1-all Federer has to do is block the serves back if Roddick serves big
2-Roddick will try to use a one-handed slice which will float to Federer and by the time Roddick tries to even move mid court huffing and puffing;all Federer has to do is hit a forehand or a backhand winner while Roddick is left stranded watching.

since people here hate women's tennis,Roddick's volleys are horrendous compared to Mauresmo and Henin's.:lol:
Their volleys makes Roddick's volleys look stupid :lol: :lol: no matter how much you folks hate them

kar<3Ty
05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
i wish Roddick wud step up his game again and play some real competitive tennis against the likes of Nadal and Federer!

seems tho he is past his best

stil a gr8 player and has potential so thers still hope i think!

gdsballer
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
actually rodddick had 3 mp's against him in the masters cup, and he served and volleyed a lot and returned really well...on a fast surface like grass, roddick could take him to 4 or possibly 5 sets, but i dont think he can win...its more of a mental fight now for roddick, but if he serves as well as he did in shanghai and backs it up with great volleying, he could possibly pull off an upset...but probably not

Turning Pro
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I think Roddicks boat was at the 04 Final against Fed.That is all.

skiracer55
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
- Everybody's looking at 2007 Wimbledon as if Roger vs. Andy in the finals is a gimme, but I think it's far from that. Grass is definitely Roger's best surface, but it's also a surface where there's not only some of the other top guys who also match up well with him on grass (e. g., Ancic), but there's also all kinds of scary lurkers out there, like Ivo Karlovic. If Roger makes it through the first week at any major, especially Wimbledon, he's tough to head off....but he does have to make it through the first week.

- I do think that Andy's improved, but I also think, as others have noted, that his grass court game doesn't match up well against Roger's strength. Still, I think Andy's a pretty good bet (if they're not seeded to meet earlier than the finals) to make the finals against Federer. If that happens...I dunno, Andy's about due, is all I can say. It could happen, but I'm not betting the ranch it will.

- Neither Roger nor Andy is old, exactly, but they're not spring chickens, either, and they've been playing the ATP circuit, with all the heavy pressure that entails, for about 8 years apiece. At some point, somebody's going to go by both of them. Roger is not invincable...ask Rafa, or
Canas...and once somebody beats Roger, it usually happens again.

It was hard to believe anybody was ever going to beat Sampras at Wimbledon, until he got a little older, and somebody (named Federer) did. I dunno know the next Wimbledon champion is, but I guarantee you it's somebody who believes he can be a champion...and the good ones always believe starting early. So if not this year, I think within the next two or three, you're going to see some new kid who goes "Huh...everybody knows how to play on hardcourt, or clay, or both, but there aren't that many people, Roger excepted, who are great grass court players. Guess I'll become one..."

z-money
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
He probably has the second best odds next to rog. But who knows what will happen only time will tell

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
actually rodddick had 3 mp's against him in the masters cup, and he served and volleyed a lot and returned really well...on a fast surface like grass, roddick could take him to 4 or possibly 5 sets, but i dont think he can win...its more of a mental fight now for roddick, but if he serves as well as he did in shanghai and backs it up with great volleying, he could possibly pull off an upset...but probably not

yeah and look what happened, STILL LOST, and look what happened in the ao, complete execution.

tintin
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
yeah and look what happened, STILL LOST, and look what happened in the ao, complete execution.

no that was detruction;) :lol:

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
He could do it. Especially if Fed has a grueling FO.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
He could do it. Especially if Fed has a grueling FO.

no he cant, stop dreaming. ur talking as if fed is the only person that cna beat him, everybody is better than roddick these days

GRANITECHIEF
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
everybody is better than roddick these days

Which is precisely why he's ranked #3 in the world.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
no he cant, stop dreaming. ur talking as if fed is the only person that cna beat him, everybody is better than roddick these days

Are we talking about the two time Wimbledon finalist?

Vlad
05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
For Roddick to win it, he needs Roger to lose to someone else.. I don't see it happening.

Fed will make it 5 in a row.

Tchocky
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I would put Andy as a 10 to 1 longshot. I think he has a good chance of getting to the semis. I would love to see Andy & Rafa playing against each other in the semis.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
For Roddick to win it, he needs Roger to lose to someone else.. I don't see it happening.

Fed will make it 5 in a row.

If Fed does go out, Roddick would be the favorite in my mind.

I would love to see Andy & Rafa playing against each other in the semis.

Ditto, and if Roddick loses to Nadal at Wimbledon he is officially a tool IMO.

ibringtheHEAT
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
i wish Roddick wud step up his game again and play some real competitive tennis against the likes of Nadal and Federer!

seems tho he is past his best

stil a gr8 player and has potential so thers still hope i think!

Past his best???? He's only in his 20's.......

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Are we talking about the two time Wimbledon finalist?

yes, hes bene in the finlas twice but hasnt won squat, there are so many people who are better than roddick

federer
nadal
murray
djoko
blake
ancic

Baghdatis72
05-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Understatement?

Yeah you're right it's almost impossible :lol:

tintin
05-02-2007, 02:23 PM
yes, hes bene in the finlas twice but hasnt won squat, there are so many people who are better than roddick

blake

Blake can't even make it past the Quarters at the USO and runs out of gas as soon as a match goes +2 hours long and that on any surface:rolleyes::lol: :lol:
he might have better technique than Roddick
have a better forehand,volley's,better defense to offense and a great backhand but really the buck stops here;)

tennishead93
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

3 to be precise. and yea everybody makes roddick look like he doesnt know how to play tennis. he could kick all of our asses!

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM

federer
nadal
murray
djoko
blake
ancic

Really? Funny I remember Roddick getting knocked out by some guy named Federer in the last two slams.

Nadal, Blake, Ancic...these guys are better than Roddick at Wimbledon?

Oh, I get it, you must not have been watching tennis the last two years.

tennishead93
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM

even u?

and i only see some responses that actually have backing to why roger can beat andy. the rest r just andy gets destroyed. thats it. give me some insight and backup why federer csn neutrilize roddick.

tennishead93
05-02-2007, 02:35 PM
- Everybody's looking at 2007 Wimbledon as if Roger vs. Andy in the finals is a gimme, but I think it's far from that. Grass is definitely Roger's best surface, but it's also a surface where there's not only some of the other top guys who also match up well with him on grass (e. g., Ancic), but there's also all kinds of scary lurkers out there, like Ivo Karlovic. If Roger makes it through the first week at any major, especially Wimbledon, he's tough to head off....but he does have to make it through the first week.

- I do think that Andy's improved, but I also think, as others have noted, that his grass court game doesn't match up well against Roger's strength. Still, I think Andy's a pretty good bet (if they're not seeded to meet earlier than the finals) to make the finals against Federer. If that happens...I dunno, Andy's about due, is all I can say. It could happen, but I'm not betting the ranch it will.

- Neither Roger nor Andy is old, exactly, but they're not spring chickens, either, and they've been playing the ATP circuit, with all the heavy pressure that entails, for about 8 years apiece. At some point, somebody's going to go by both of them. Roger is not invincable...ask Rafa, or
Canas...and once somebody beats Roger, it usually happens again.

It was hard to believe anybody was ever going to beat Sampras at Wimbledon, until he got a little older, and somebody (named Federer) did. I dunno know the next Wimbledon champion is, but I guarantee you it's somebody who believes he can be a champion...and the good ones always believe starting early. So if not this year, I think within the next two or three, you're going to see some new kid who goes "Huh...everybody knows how to play on hardcourt, or clay, or both, but there aren't that many people, Roger excepted, who are great grass court players. Guess I'll become one..."

u r a beast

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Really? Funny I remember Roddick getting knocked out by some guy named Federer in the last two slams.

Nadal, Blake, Ancic...these guys are better than Roddick at Wimbledon?

Oh, I get it, you must not have been watching tennis the last two years.

federer and nadla can beat roddick without even trying, blake beat andy last year on grass, murray humiliated roddick at wimby, ancic is a strong player and took roddick to 5 in the AO.

i know roddick is being cheered upon here by americans but face it, this guy sucks, if i play this guy in a relaly slow clay court i can win some games.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
even u?

and i only see some responses that actually have backing to why roger can beat andy. the rest r just andy gets destroyed. thats it. give me some insight and backup why federer csn neutrilize roddick.
why federer can? just watch the AO, roddick doesnt have a chance on winning another grandslam, sorry mate.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
federer and nadla can beat roddick without even trying, blake beat andy last year on grass, murray humiliated roddick at wimby, ancic is a strong player and took roddick to 5 in the AO.

i know roddick is being cheered upon here by americans but face it, this guy sucks, if i play this guy in a relaly slow clay court i can win some games.

Ok well now I see you are either joking, exaggerating, or being delusional.

You have to live in the present my man. Blake has been below par all year, and for his entire career on grass. Murray beat a lowly Roddick last year, he's playing with a much higher level of confidence now. Ancic has been out for months with mono and will not be match fit by Wimbledon. Nadal got an easy ride to the final last year (with the exception of almost losing to a qualifier) and I predict he won't even be around in the second week this year.

None of these guys can touch the career that Roddick has had on grass. If you think they will beat him than you are the one that is dreaming.

tintin
05-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Murray beat a lowly Roddick last year, he's playing with a much higher level of confidence now.

didn't Murray beat Roddick on Roddick's HC this year with all his confidence back,S/V and healthy and with Connors on his side,like twice?;)
damn so did Nadal a few weeks ago:lol: :lol:

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Ok well now I see you are either joking, exaggerating, or being delusional.

You have to live in the present my man. Blake has been below par all year, and for his entire career on grass. Murray beat a lowly Roddick last year, he's playing with a much higher level of confidence now. Ancic has been out for months with mono and will not be match fit by Wimbledon. Nadal got an easy ride to the final last year (with the exception of almost losing to a qualifier) and I predict he won't even be around in the second week this year.

None of these guys can touch the career that Roddick has had on grass. If you think they will beat him than you are the one that is dreaming.
1st, fix your grammar sir.

2nd, yes nobody can touch roddicks career on grass, i mean he has won so many wimbledon titles, im sure he will be inducted in the all england club hall of fame, if roddick cant win the 2006 us open and the 2007 aus open, he cant win on grass, if u ask me, will roddick win another slam before this year, i say no, if u ask me this year, will roddick win a slam, i say hell no

JANUARY 25, 2007, THE DAY OF THE RODDICK MASSACRE

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
didn't Murray beat Roddick on Roddick's HC this year with all his confidence back,S/V and healthy and with Connors on his side,like twice?;)

thats true tintin, but see the roddick fans are just mad cuz andy doesnt have enough talent to win another slam. talk about someone who got an easy ride, that dude played like 3 straight clay courters to win his one and FINAL slam.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 03:44 PM

This is true. But you guys keep bringing up non-grass matches. We're talking about Wimbledon here, where Roddick has only lost to Fed 3 out of the last 4 years.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 03:46 PM
This is true. But you guys keep bringing up non-grass matches. We're talking about Wimbledon here, where Roddick has only lost to Fed 3 out of the last 4 years.

lost to murray too, LMAO!!!

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
1st, fix your grammar sir.

2nd, yes nobody can touch roddicks career on grass, i mean he has won so many wimbledon titles, im sure he will be inducted in the all england club hall of fame, if roddick cant win the 2006 us open and the 2007 aus open, he cant win on grass, if u ask me, will roddick win another slam before this year, i say no, if u ask me this year, will roddick win a slam, i say hell no

JANUARY 25, 2007, THE DAY OF THE RODDICK MASSACRE

There is nothing I hate more on this site than the spelling and grammer police.

Roddick has 3 Queens Club titles, 2 finals at Wimby as well as a semi, by the age of 25. You bet your *** he deserves to be in the All-England hall o' fame.

thats true tintin, but see the roddick fans are just mad cuz andy doesnt have enough talent to win another slam. talk about someone who got an easy ride, that dude played like 3 straight clay courters to win his one and FINAL slam.

And there are Roddick haters who can't stand the fact that he's still hanging around the top 5.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
lost to murray too, LMAO!!!

That was my point smart guy. 3 out of 4 years he loses to the eventual champ.

Oh, and its: HE lost to the defending champ. You didn't write a complete sentence nor did you capitalize.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
There is nothing I hate more on this site than the spelling and grammer police.

Roddick has 3 Queens Club titles, 2 finals at Wimby as well as a semi, by the age of 25. You bet your *** he deserves to be in the All-England hall o' fame.

And there are Roddick haters who can't stand the fact that he's still hanging around the top 5.

so the standards are so low now? so basically you dont have to win a wimbeldon anymore to be in the hof? he is not even in the tennis magazine top 40 players the last 40 years, its funny how he is number 3, it shows how far off number 1 and 2 is compared to 3 and below, YIKES!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM
the point is roddick will NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER, win a slam again.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
so the standards are so low now? so basically you dont have to win a wimbeldon anymore to be in the hof?

I don't know what their standards are to be honest. I know if Rafter and Henman get in Roddick definatly should be.

the point is roddick will NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER, win a slam again.

Let's see, he's been to 3 finals since his USO win, lost to Fed all 3 times. Has stayed extremely healthy since turning pro. I wouldn't be so sure that he won't find a way to win another slam. If Safin can do it than Roddick surely can.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't know what their standards are to be honest. I know if Rafter and Henman get in Roddick definatly should be.

Let's see, he's been to 3 finals since his USO win, lost to Fed all 3 times. Has stayed extremely healthy since turning pro. I wouldn't be so sure that he won't find a way to win another slam. If Safin can do it than Roddick surely can.

i just dont see it happening mate.

edmondsm
05-02-2007, 04:26 PM
i just dont see it happening mate.

You're probably right, but as a U.S. tennis fan I try to will Roddick to victory with optimism.:)

Baghdatis72
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Except if Federer and Nadal get injured for a long time and he has an easy draw :D

psamp14
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
roddick hasnt played in quite some time...since davis cup i think...hopefully he's rested up....but i think he will play cautious during the clay court season and will be in form for the 2nd half of the year

he would be my pick to win wimbledon if federer's not in his way...

tennishead93
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM

u look at roddick on tv. its another universe when the only thing between u and roddick is the net.

tennishead93
05-02-2007, 07:14 PM

would u bet ur balls?

kaiotic
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Roddick can do it. he'd have to have an Ivanisivic ace count + half of Pete's volleys.

Roddick = Goran of the 2000's

Forehand Forever
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM

I'm sure you could not win a game. All you Roddick haters forget he's #3 in the world, he can't be all that bad.

tintin
05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
If Safin can do it than Roddick surely can.

Safin is better technique wise than Roddick and the only place really where Safin refuses to even try is at Wimbledon which is outrageous because Safin can hit better volleys than Roddick:shock:
injuries and lack of focus have kept Safin out of the game and in the top 5 where he belongs if you ask me
at last year's USO Roddick had a draw filled with clay courters;) :lol: :lol:

edmondsm
05-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Safin is better technique wise than Roddick and the only place really where Safin refuses to even try is at Wimbledon which is outrageous because Safin can hit better volleys than Roddick:shock:
injuries and lack of focus have kept Safin out of the game and in the top 5 where he belongs if you ask me
at last year's USO Roddick had a draw filled with clay courters;) :lol: :lol:

Safin is definately better techinically that Roddick but mentally Roddick is much stronger. Which means a whole lot more than technique. Put it this way: If Roddick had run into T. Johannson in the final of a slam it would have been game-set-match-Roddick.

Cfidave
05-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Roddick won't win Wimby, or any other slam for that matter. Can't beat Roger on hardcourts, can't beat Nadal on clay. Not to mention the younger guys who can and have beaten Roddick, more then once. The one slam he did win required a very favorable draw, and bad weather on just the right days, otherwise he would not have won that one.

edmondsm
05-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Roddick won't win Wimby, or any other slam for that matter. Can't beat Roger on hardcourts, can't beat Nadal on clay. Not to mention the younger guys who can and have beaten Roddick, more then once. The one slam he did win required a very favorable draw, and bad weather on just the right days, otherwise he would not have won that one.

I don't understand this. Roddick has been hanging around the top 5 for a few years now. Made quite a few semis and finals at slams and alot of the time the only thing that has stopped him was Fed. Is it not so hard to believe that Fed could slip up at one of these tourneys and Roddick could win one? Even as soon as this year?

Look at Cincy last year. As soon as Fed got knocked out by Murray, Roddick had a whole new bounce in his step and he cruised to the title. I could see the same happening at Wimbledon.

Forehand Forever
05-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't understand this. Roddick has been hanging around the top 5 for a few years now. Made quite a few semis and finals at slams and alot of the time the only thing that has stopped him was Fed. Is it not so hard to believe that Fed could slip up at one of these tourneys and Roddick could win one? Even as soon as this year?

Look at Cincy last year. As soon as Fed got knocked out by Murray, Roddick had a whole new bounce in his step and he cruised to the title. I could see the same happening at Wimbledon.

I agree with you 100% but the only problem is, who's going to step up to the plate and knock him out of the tournament?

Baghdatis72
05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Pretty soon Roddick will lose his number 3 spot too from Djokovic who is already breathing under his neck.

edmondsm
05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree with you 100% but the only problem is, who's going to step up to the plate and knock him out of the tournament?

Not Roddick:)