PDA

View Full Version : how much will I be able to improve?

rocket_man
05-01-2007, 10:52 PM
alright, well, was just wanting to get a few opinions on how much progress I can realistically expect to make by next spring. I'm about a weak-ok 4.0 right now, over the summer I plan on playing 6-7 days a week, with a weekly private lesson, and over the fall I'll probably end up playing 10-12 hours a week, as far as I can tell I have fairly sound technique too, definetly no hacker shots. I also live in texas so I'll be able to keep playing well into the winter.

rocket_man
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
bump... 10 chars

fearless1
05-02-2007, 08:18 AM
alright, well, was just wanting to get a few opinions on how much progress I can realistically expect to make by next spring. I'm about a weak-ok 4.0 right now, over the summer I plan on playing 6-7 days a week, with a weekly private lesson, and over the fall I'll probably end up playing 10-12 hours a week, as far as I can tell I have fairly sound technique too, definetly no hacker shots. I also live in texas so I'll be able to keep playing well into the winter.

"Weak" 4.0 = strong 3.5?

The key to improving at max rate is what you are learning in all that practice, not just the volume of the practice itself. In fact, if you have bad technique and practice a lot, what do you think is going to happen!?

Not wanting to knock on the tennis teaching profession, just lessons from a pro probably won't do it for you. What you really need is a coach or a tennis mentor truely dedicated to your progess. Barring availability of these resources, all that is left is dedicated self study. This would mean reading books, studying video, object oriented practice sessions, etc.

Assuming BEST case scenario, by next spring, you should be playing 4.5 tennis. More precisely, 4.395. :D

oldhacker
05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
That is a real 'how long is a piece of string question'. There are just so many variables - the biggest of which is NATURAL ABILITY. I reckon the majority of people have a natural aptitude which means they cannot progress beyond 4.0 whatever they do. And if they have spent many years grooving incorrect form there is little chance they will ever have the time to unlearn it and learn correct form. Your age and how long it has taken you to reach your current level are also relevant factors. I would say your best chance of getting an honest answer is to ask a coach or very strong player who has seen you play.

skiracer55
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
...with a program like this, it's a lot more important to figure out where you want to go. It sounds like your goal is an NTRP number, and I think those goals are highly suspect (I'm not a big NTRP fan for a lot of different reasons). But let's say for the sake of argument that you want to "get to the 4.5 level". Maybe a year's worth of doing what you're planning will do it...but there's too many variables, so nobody can say, really. There are only two possible outcomes: (1) You make it to the 4.5 level, or beyond or (2) You don't. What if you do? Then what? I'm suggesting you might want to have a larger goal in mind. What if you don't? There are only two possible responses: (1) I quit. (2) I'm going to try harder...and smarter. Again, think about your larger goal.

My personal goals with my two major competitive sports, Masters Alpine Ski Racing and tennis are, in this order (1) Have fun (2) challenge myself (3) win races/matches. (1) is most important. Tennis and ski racing are hard sports, and just because you put in the miles, it doesn't mean you get to be a winner, because there's only one or two of those. It's worth it to me to strive to be a winner, but I want to have fun on the journey. It's not another job, I already have one of those. Part of the fun is (2). I'm probably a 5.0, on my good days, but I don't play NTRP. I'm 58, and I play Men's 50, Men's 45, and sometimes Men's Open. So, yeah, #3 is important, but I want to do it against the best, and those kind of challenges make the whole thing even more fun...