PDA

View Full Version : Can a 4.0 beat a 5.0 ?

geissner
05-02-2007, 05:19 AM
I know this sounds kind of ridiclous, but do you think on a given day
a very good 4.0 player can beat a 5.0 player?

I have been a top 5 4.0 player (#1 in 2005, #2 in 2006 ) , but I have started
playing the age group tournaments (the 50's). I am playing a big State tournament and should get by my first round and then I would play the #1
seed in the quarters. He is a former college player currently rated 5.0.

I have beaten some decent 4.5 players this year, but have never played a 5.0.

I don't have a power game. My strengths are a very hard,low slice backhand
groundstroke and approach and a very good reach at the net (6'2" and playvery tall).
The other thing I do well is fight and dig and get just about any ball back. I will literally leave my guts on the court.

I know you should never go on the court thinking you do not have a chance, but is realistic to think that on a given day and under the right conditions, that I could take several games or even win a set ot even the match?

What strategy would you use in this situation?

thanks for the advice

Andres
05-02-2007, 05:34 AM
As I understand it, a 5.0 beats a 4.0 6-1, 6-1

spot
05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
If you have been the #1 4.0 player that long then it seems to me that if you were bumped up to 4.5 you would be in the middle of the pack. I am guessing there are lots of 4.0 players that you just crush. So start thinking of yourself as a 4.5 player and then the difference is manageable.

bluegrasser
05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Yes, There are 5.0 teachers who feed balls all day long, but play few matches & if your not match tough you can lose to a player with inferior strokes, it happens all the time. There's a chapter in " Winning Ugly" that calls attention to this paradox.

grizzly4life
05-02-2007, 07:47 AM
basically, you can if the people are misrated, as it sounds like you are. once you have huge success at your rating level, shouldn't you move up?

and there are lots of older and female 5.0's that good 4.0's can beat that i know.

brings up a question: are male/female supposed to be the same? because i don't see it that way at all in practice, but i'd think the descriptors would the same (of course, the descriptors don't take into account power or especially speed. i know 3.5 men with good forehand, great wheels and everything else pretty shaky, but "better" women will seldom hit a winner against them)

cam2
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
It can happen but is unlikely. The 4.0 can also be playing out of his skull one week other than just the 5.0 playing badly.

kevhen
05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I am a strong 4.0 and have played some very strong 4.5s and usually lose like 6-2, 6-0. I have beaten weaker 4.5s in both singles and doubles. If the guy is legit 5.0 then you will lose pretty badly but maybe he hasn't played for awhile and is not really 5.0 anymore.

baros
05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
like you said on a given day your playing well he not so well.

tenniskid3119
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

Kevo
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I would expect a 5.0 player to hold his serve fairly easily against you. So the trick to me would be can you manage to break his serve. If not, even if you are on, I wouldn't expect you to win. That's not to say that you couldn't make a darn good match of it, and under the right pressure anyone can choke. So I would say just give it your best shot and enjoy the discovery process. I haven't had the chance to hit with anyone 5.0 or above in a long time, I'm sure it would be quite enjoyable.

10s talk
05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I love how ratings are stated as if they are facts. If you dominate a level you should have been bumped up.

Matt_MS
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Anything can happen on any given day.

Urza187
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Just don't get intimidated by the fact you are playing a 5.0 and just play YOUR game. Don't try and rush or force something that is out of your comfort zone. Believe that your strokes can keep up with him and make sure that you give a good fight. Most of all, just have fun. Don't get too stressed out about it. I've seen a D1 college player romp the crap out of a good D3 player and the D3 player just had to laugh about it. He was hitting with someone extraordinary and it was fun for him to have a chance to play someone really good. Maybe you'll learn something from watching or playing this guy and elevate your game. You don't get better by beating up on players weaker than you. You get better by playing players better than you(well, not significantly better, but you get my point).

Fedace
05-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I know this sounds kind of ridiclous, but do you think on a given day
a very good 4.0 player can beat a 5.0 player?

I have been a top 5 4.0 player (#1 in 2005, #2 in 2006 ) , but I have started
playing the age group tournaments (the 50's). I am playing a big State tournament and should get by my first round and then I would play the #1
seed in the quarters. He is a former college player currently rated 5.0.

I have beaten some decent 4.5 players this year, but have never played a 5.0.

I don't have a power game. My strengths are a very hard,low slice backhand
groundstroke and approach and a very good reach at the net (6'2" and playvery tall).
The other thing I do well is fight and dig and get just about any ball back. I will literally leave my guts on the court.

I know you should never go on the court thinking you do not have a chance, but is realistic to think that on a given day and under the right conditions, that I could take several games or even win a set ot even the match?

What strategy would you use in this situation?

thanks for the advice

Yea Of course, those USTA 4.0's that are really 5.0's that are just pretending to be 4.0. sure they can beat 5.0's;)

Mick
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
>> Can a 4.0 beat a 5.0 ?<<

Sure:

a 5.0 fell and injured himself and is unable to continue.

The 4.0 wins by default.

=> a 4.0 beats a 5.0

hasema
05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, considering he's the number 1 seed he probably plays quite a bit and has alot of tourney experience. It might be a tough one for you but if you catch him on an off day then you might have a chance. But given that you guys will have a couple matches under you and your opponent i would think those chances are slim. Let us know how it turns out.

rasajadad
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
A real 4.0 would never beat a real 5.0. (By never, I mean maybe once out of a 1000.)

kevhen
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Agree in that 1/1000 chance for 4.0 vs 5.0 if both legit and average for there level. Typical score would be like 6-1, 6-0.

Doc Hollidae
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Ratings are irrelevant. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Also with the USTA rating system, many players often underrated or overrated with their ranking.

LuckyR
05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
First of all, you aren't a 4.0
The #1 4.0 is a 4.5 by definition, and should be bumped up.

As a 4.5, you can beat a 5.0 but it will be less than 50% of the time, perhaps way less.

shindemac
05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
No. The higher rated player should win almost every time (like 99% even if he is having a bad day.) But this assumes they are both correctly rated. It sounds like your case is different and you might only be 1 ntrp away from him. In this case, yes. One lower ntrp can and do beat the higher rated player. In other words, just ignore ntrp and do the best you can.

It sounds simple, but the strategy is to use your strengths against their weaknesses as much as possible. For example, it could be using your forehand to attack their backhand. It's up to you to discover his weaknesses, and he will have some.

GuyClinch
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah if it's a male 4.0 against a female 5.0. :P

Pete