PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Starting Late

chipsbuzz
05-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm a freshman in college and picked up tennis last spring (so senior year of highschool). It's sort of a sad thought that I got exposed to the game really late, but I'm trying to catch up fast. I also hope to get on the team next year and plan on taking lessons over the summer and fall.

I just want to know any advice or tips/drills that'll help my overall game. I know I should practice and play matches a lot, which I do. Generally I put in 20+ hours a week with just practice/rallying/serve-time and at least another 5 on match play against various people, whether that may be random people I meet at the courts or people I get together with from my intermediate tennis class (some of which are on the tennis team here).

For any lack of experience I have, I have been told that I make it up with my quick-reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and persistancy. I just love the game and it seems to come natural to me.

Is it bad to use both the 2hbh and 1hbh? Generally if it's too high I like to drive it in with a low flat shot with a 2hbh and for lower shots I use 1 hbh. I know this probably isn't recommended because they say thinking of which bh to use will cut on time to set up, but as soon as i see the ball clear the net (and how they hit the ball), my hands just seem to adjust as need be.

Does anyone else here use a Head LM radical (it's not oversize)? Topspin isn't really my friend since I like hitting low and close to the net, but I figured it should be added to my arsenal of shots. If anyone does have this racquet, is this racquet easy to get topspin on?

I think that's all I've got for now... Any thoughts would be grateful.

w00gy
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm a freshman in college and picked up tennis last spring (so senior year of highschool). It's sort of a sad thought that I got exposed to the game really late, but I'm trying to catch up fast. I also hope to get on the team next year and plan on taking lessons over the summer and fall.

It's always good to see someone excited about the game! Keep the spirit up and all fortune will come to you.

I just want to know any advice or tips/drills that'll help my overall game. I know I should practice and play matches a lot, which I do. Generally I put in 20+ hours a week with just practice/rallying/serve-time and at least another 5 on match play against various people, whether that may be random people I meet at the courts or people I get together with from my intermediate tennis class (some of which are on the tennis team here).

Since you put up at least 3 hrs a day! (25/7=/ 3.5) i think you have more than enough time to work on your entire game. Just ask you intermediate coach what you can improve on and how to get there and your level will be up in a minute.

For any lack of experience I have, I have been told that I make it up with my quick-reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and persistancy. I just love the game and it seems to come natural to me.

Good traits! Makes me think of Hewitt but tennis at a lower level is all about consistency. Try to prepare intime for every shot so there is no need for reflexes. With good coordination en persistence you just need move an prepare better.

Is it bad to use both the 2hbh and 1hbh? Generally if it's too high I like to drive it in with a low flat shot with a 2hbh and for lower shots I use 1 hbh. I know this probably isn't recommended because they say thinking of which bh to use will cut on time to set up, but as soon as i see the ball clear the net (and how they hit the ball), my hands just seem to adjust as need be.

About your backhand: MAKE A CHOICE!!!!! Some ball will feel weird in the beginning some will feel natural. But make a choice. This will help you alot as you progress and become a better player. I personally am an advocate of the 1HBH, but it's your call.

Does anyone else here use a Head LM radical (it's not oversize)? Topspin isn't really my friend since I like hitting low and close to the net, but I figured it should be added to my arsenal of shots. If anyone does have this racquet, is this racquet easy to get topspin on?

Topspin has litte to do with the frame you use. Technique and strings have more effect. Work on that and you will be rewarded regardless of the frame you use. The string pattern has some effect but it depends on the player technique;)

hope to have helped you a litte bit.

kevhen
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I used to only hit 2 handers but have added the one hander on low short balls or wide balls that I have to reach for. I am starting to use one hand approaches too with a low sliced shot, but my 2 hander is my main rally shot. I think hitting with one or 2 gives you options and if you play enough you will get good at both ways of hitting it. Most pros will hit with one when stretched.

Geezer Guy
05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I hit almost all my backhands with one hand, but occasionally I use 2 if the balls coming really hard and close to my body. You should use a 1hbh to volley for sure. From the baseline, just do whichever comes naturally.

I would recommend you do NOT practice against "random people you meet at the courts". You may occasionally get the right person, but it can often be a waste of time. Find people that challenge your abilities, and schedule matches against them. Mix in a few people you're fairly sure you can beat (but not TOO easily) and people that you'd have a really tough time beating. You'll learn something different from each of them. Throw in some pushers, some S&V'ers, some baseliners, and some all-courters. Get a good mix of competition. And, play some doubles - this will help your volleys and your returns.

Glad you're enjoying the game. Keep up the hard work - and have fun!

Jonny S&V
05-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Stick with trying to hit a 2h-bh until you have a few more months (or years) under your belt (unless you are a natural athlete or you want to become more of a all-courter of S&Ver). Glad to see someone who did pick it up late wants to get better that bad. Kudos!

Jonny S&V
05-03-2007, 07:18 AM
PS: I am also a 1h-bh advocate, but whatever feels more natural to you, go for it (sorry to double-post!).

chipsbuzz
05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I just tried out the 1hbh again the other day and all ofa sudden the groundstrokes just felt natural. Although, i may have been doing something wrong at times. When I get to the ball too fast and end up positioned incorrectly, I still tend to try and hit the ball, but this ends up in me hitting the ball low and with sliced sidespin. My hitting partner thought it was pretty effective, but I knew that it was just a couple of flukes.

The high 1hbh is still shakey ground with me though. I try and imitate the other one-handed friends I know, but it still feels odd. Anyone think i should try and stick with learning a high 1hbh, or use a 2hbh when it comes to shoulder height, because i know i can hit it with a fast flat shot with pretty decent accuracy.

chipsbuzz
05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
oh, and in response to geezer_guy, most of the random people at the courts are on the tennis team here (I live on a college campus). So yeah, I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone by upping my game and scoping out who i can kick off the team next year lol.

GuyClinch
05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Your college has to suck if you can get good enough to knock guys off the team with so little playing time. Guys in my HS used to go down and spend the whole summer training with Nick Bolleteri and company. <g>

Show us some video of your game..so we can see it..

chipsbuzz
05-06-2007, 12:11 AM
GuyClinch, well I do go to a state college where the main attraction isn't sports (tennis to be even more precise). Even moreso, I go to one in NY, so it's not as highly ranked as 'em florida colleges.

LuckyR
05-06-2007, 11:37 AM
If you are serious about tennis and making the team, and doing well in league after you make the team. I would put off matchplay for a bit and consider doing a lot of drill work, with a coach.