PDA

View Full Version : No Rackets Left..............

Doc Hollidae
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Pretend you are at a tournament and you've broken the strings on all the rackets you brought with you. The only options from there on are to borrow a racket or forfeit the match. To further make life difficult, no one plays with the same racket you play with. You also play with poly. (EDIT) Grip size will be the same for your racket and the racket you borrow. So unwilling to forfeit, you now have two choices:

1) Racket #1:Similarly spec'd (same head size and similar flex) to what you play with, but the tension is noticably looser by 4-5 lbs and a different type of string (gut).

2) Racket #2:Smaller head size and stiffer, but relatively the same tension and string type (poly).

Which racket would you choose? Are the strings and tension more important than the frame? Or vice versa? Reasons?

Voltron
05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I would go with racquet one.

grass_hopper
05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
forfeit and go shopping.
Always think of poor people that paid to watch!

Doc Hollidae
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
forfeit and go shopping.
Always think of poor people that paid to watch!

I'm not talking about a pro tournament. Just an everyday club or USTA tournament and you've ran out of sticks to use.

Personally I'd go for racket #2. Although the racket is different, sting tension makes a bigger different to me. If a racket is stiffer or has a small head size, I'll usually just adjust my game (S&V instead of baseline) to compensate for the differences in rackets. With different string and tension, the changes aren't as easy to adapt to and the feel isn't the same.

Zets147
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd go with the similar spec racquet, but I can probably adjust to different strings better than a racquet that is completely different.

nickb
05-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Racquet 1 for me....I would find it hard to go to another headsize in the middle of the match and retain concentration. Plus i like gut....i cant afford it normally!

skiracer55
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
...Bobby Riggs used to win matches, for big money, using one...

cghipp
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I would go with the smaller head size. It would help with controlling an unfamiliar racquet. If I suddenly had to drop tension by several pounds, I'd worry that I'd overhit.

jayserinos99
05-02-2007, 10:09 AM
i pretty much will go with #1. i feel i can adjust from overhitting by going back to basics and think about making solid contact first with the frame and getting a few more balls back. the last time i ran out of racquets i was in a #2-like situation and my game went right to crap (went from stiffer MP to a flexy mid; strings were same tension and type).

Skybox006
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
For me it would be easier to adjust to Racket #1. It would be easier to adjust to the tension rather than play with a new racket. Also with the same specs, it would be more comfortable to stay with what you naturally like, also one could slice the ball more to compensate for the lower tension, or slow down their swing.

rabidcow
05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
May depend on your opponent, if he sucks and all you need to do is keep in play go for racquet 1. If its a high quality opponent I would chose 2

LarougeNY
05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd go with racket one. Gut is pretty good (from what I've heard) and its the same racket with very similar specs. Plus the tension isn't higher, its lower. So you just have to put a lot more spin on the ball or hold back. That way you can still play comparably to how you used to, rather than not even knowing how you play with a completely different racket.

OrangeOne
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I honestly can't believe that people are picking racquet 1!

You hit the ball with the stringbed, and hopefully near the middle of it, not with the frame! With this in mind, I want the closest strings to my frame, tension etc.

Think of it this way:

Racquet 1: Every single stroke you hit must change to keep the ball in play, more spin, less power, etc etc.

Racquet 2: You hit with the same strokes as usual, just sometimes you shank a ball you wouldn't have before.

Anyone want to change their choice now? :)

Doc Hollidae
05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Perhaps more specifics may help? Like actual racket models and what not to use as a reference point.

The original intent of this thread was to see what matter more to people when they can't have both. Strings or Frame?

me is bored
05-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I honestly can't believe that people are picking racquet 1!

You hit the ball with the stringbed, and hopefully near the middle of it, not with the frame! With this in mind, I want the closest strings to my frame, tension etc.

Think of it this way:

Racquet 1: Every single stroke you hit must change to keep the ball in play, more spin, less power, etc etc.

Racquet 2: You hit with the same strokes as usual, just sometimes you shank a ball you wouldn't have before.

Anyone want to change their choice now? :)

i was just thinking that lol racket #2

Cruzer
05-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I am surprised that you could find anyone to loan you a racquet except maybe some old beater racquet they have had in their car trunk for the past 12 months.

thejackal
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
id get the racket with the closest grip size/shape

jasoncho92
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
#2 Because i dont really care about stiffness or racquet head size as long as its not 70 in or something if i only need to use it once

dennis1188
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Go with racket 1.
The natural gut will play at approx 5lbs higher tension than the syn strings.

OrangeOne
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I am surprised that you could find anyone to loan you a racquet except maybe some old beater racquet they have had in their car trunk for the past 12 months.

Pretend you are at a tournament

Honestly, as above, it's pretend, a hypothetical. And anyways - I know if I'm at a tournament, I can pretty much always loan a Pure Drive + or an RDS001 Mid from two friends. Not eactly 'old beater racquets', but two very different frames and a tough decision, just like this one.

id get the racket with the closest grip size/shape

Interesting response. Now, assuming identical grip size & shape, you're back to the original decision :)

abenguyen
05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
racquet 2. i can play with a smaller headsize racquet but can't deal with lower string tensions!

plus, i could never break 4 sets of strings in one day. the day i do, ill tell you guys. i'd have to go through 2 lm radical mp with poly m's and PSGD x's, then go through a old prince oversize with PSGD 16(could snap anytime its like a year old) AND THEN, go through a dunlop maxply fort woodie. yea, definitely not gonna happen

! ! ! ! ronakp10
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
racquet 2! Strings make up the racket.

hrstrat57
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
bout 10 yrs ago broke strings on four Prince pog mids, one in the first set and 3 in about 15 minutes in 2nd set....I was up 1 love but down I think 2-4 in 2nd. I was offered a wilson mid 2.7(profile?)

I shook the guys hand and wished him well in the tourney.

The peanut gallery had a ball with my plight:-(

I soon switched from 17 gauge to 16 gauge(BDE rally gut) and added string savers. End of problem.

Doc Hollidae
05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Go with racket 1.
The natural gut will play at approx 5lbs higher tension than the syn strings.

You are playing with Poly approx 5 lbs. higher than Natural Gut. There's going to be a big difference.

ssjkyle31
05-02-2007, 04:12 PM
bout 10 yrs ago broke strings on four Prince pog mids, one in the first set and 3 in about 15 minutes in 2nd set....I was up 1 love but down I think 2-4 in 2nd. I was offered a wilson mid 2.7(profile?)

I shook the guys hand and wished him well in the tourney.

The peanut gallery had a ball with my plight:-(

I soon switched from 17 gauge to 16 gauge(BDE rally gut) and added string savers. End of problem.

That happen to me 20 years ago, I did the same thing 6-3 & 4-2. I went threw two of my rackets and one of my doubles partner. I just forfeit the game.

But if I could borrow another racket I would go for the racket one. I wouldn't risk getting TE with the stiffer racket. I can handle the lower tension.

hrstrat57
05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
That happen to me 20 years ago, I did the same thing 6-3 & 4-2. I went threw two of my rackets and one of my doubles partner. I just forfeit the game.

But if I could borrow another racket I would go for the racket one. I wouldn't risk getting TE with the stiffer racket. I can handle the lower tension.

Agree of course in doc's scenario, def rkt 1....

In my true story no way I was gonna humiliate myself with that profile launching forehands over the fence.....I hit pretty big in those days, thus I made the only choice. Shake hands and head home....

Doc Hollidae
05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Agree of course in doc's scenario, def rkt 1....

In my true story no way I was gonna humiliate myself with that profile launching forehands over the fence.....I hit pretty big in those days, thus I made the only choice. Shake hands and head home....

Why not just serve and volley?