PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Documentary "Unstrung"

Nuke
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
The TriBeCa Film Festival is screening a new documentary called Unstrung. This looks like it might be of interest to lots of folks here. Donald Young and Sam Querry, among others, are the subjects of the film. I hope it does well enough at the film festival to get some distribution deal, so it can find its way to local theaters.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=8&aid=69313

"Unstrung" follows seven teenage tennis prodigies as they try to break into the top level of the sport. The documentary examines what it's like for junior players to deal with the pressure, much of it coming from their parents."

"Klug traveled thousands of miles and worked on the film for two years. To learn more about "Unstrung" and its screenings visit http://www.unstrungmovie.com."

Sixpointone
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Very interesting and Thanks for the insight.

Attila the tennis Bum
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Like every tennis movie ever made.... it will suck.

Nuke
05-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Well, this film is about real tennis, not some lame romantic story line with the world of tennis as a backdrop. It might actutally be an OK movie. Documentaries are having a bit of a resurgence these days, but I'm not so sure the subject of tennis would appeal to a wide enough audience -- a movie needs to attract all sorts of folks, not just tennis fans. Most likely, this film will have a very limited distribution, but who knows? Last year, a documentary called Wordplay made the rounds of the art houses, and that one was about crossword puzzle competitors.

johnny ballgame
05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Like every tennis movie ever made.... it will suck.

Wait a sec, "The Journeymen" is great!!

LeftyServe
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
It looks like a serious, thoughtful, well-funded film. Jim Courier is one of the producers. I'd be very interested in seeing it.

hoosierbr
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
The trailer looks interesting.

jamauss
05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I want to see this movie.

Attila the tennis Bum
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, this film is about real tennis, not some lame romantic story line with the world of tennis as a backdrop. It might actutally be an OK movie. Documentaries are having a bit of a resurgence these days, but I'm not so sure the subject of tennis would appeal to a wide enough audience -- a movie needs to attract all sorts of folks, not just tennis fans. Most likely, this film will have a very limited distribution, but who knows? Last year, a documentary called Wordplay made the rounds of the art houses, and that one was about crossword puzzle competitors.

yeah jist like the movie players?

mrmo1115
05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
hey guys i got to see it today on espn 2 i only got to catch the last hour

it was a 2 hour block with commericials

Jon Rudy
05-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I saw it a couple weeks ago on ESPN 2. It's pretty interesting. The main footage is from before Donald Young and Sam Querry had started up on the pro tour (a few years ago), but it shows fairly recent updates on all of them as well at the end.

It's about the sport of tennis, but the focus is more on the lifestyle of those who are competing at pretty high levels and the mentality of these guys. It's pretty interesting, even though it doesn't really show that many actual matches.

It also shows you how different everybody is who competes, as well as how overbearing Donald Young's mother is.

rum02
05-25-2008, 04:41 PM
can some one just record it already and put it up?

ScovilleJenkins
05-25-2008, 05:55 PM
i saw this on after the french today, and it was quite a good documentary...

something i found interesting was how the players who seemed to have the best attitudes and the least amount of obnoxiousness (is that a word?) throughout the entire documentary are the ones who are now having the best success (Querrey and Young)

luckyguy
05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
any dvd copy of this??

Defcon
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
It was on today on TTC right after the French open coverage and I didn't think it would be any good so I skipped it. I'll keep an eye out for it when its shown again.

tannenj
05-27-2008, 08:43 PM
it would be excellent if someone could stick this on youtube or something

Leublu tennis
05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I saw it a couple weeks ago on ESPN 2. It's pretty interesting. The main footage is from before Donald Young and Sam Querry had started up on the pro tour (a few years ago), but it shows fairly recent updates on all of them as well at the end.

It's about the sport of tennis, but the focus is more on the lifestyle of those who are competing at pretty high levels and the mentality of these guys. It's pretty interesting, even though it doesn't really show that many actual matches.

It also shows you how different everybody is who competes, as well as how overbearing Donald Young's mother is.
Thanks. Sounds like something a tennis fan would want to see but not in a movie theater.

Forehand_Punisher
05-28-2008, 02:25 AM
yeah jist like the movie players?

Now that brings back memories. Players had McEnroe, Pancho Gonzalez, Guillermo Vilas, Nastase, Vijay Armitraj, and others.

The movie sucked, but it was cool to see real tennis players in a movie.

ruski07
05-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Wait a sec, "The Journeymen" is great!!

is the journeymen of youtube yet? or is there a link where i can watch it????

simi
05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Just went to the website and there is a link for upcoming broadcasts. It lists three dates/times, two of which have already passed, (May 3, 8pmET, ESPN Classic and May 25 "Following the French Open" on ESPN2).

The third, upcoming broadcast date/time is listed as:

July 7, ESPN2, time tbd

luckyguy
06-03-2008, 02:12 AM
i do hope somebody would record it and have it on dvd, ill be buying a copy of it...

scotus
07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
i do hope somebody would record it and have it on dvd, ill be buying a copy of it...

I do have a copy of it.

Contact me at asyluke@yahoo.com.

scotus
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
is the journeymen of youtube yet? or is there a link where i can watch it????

I have a copy of this, too. Both on DVDs.

Mansewerz
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I can never find it on tv!

s7evin
07-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Can anyone make a torrent?

mtommer
07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Can anyone make a torrent?

I'll see if they have a copy at this year's USTA Boys National Championships.

scotus
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Just got a chance to sit down and watch the "Unstrung."

Other main characters (besides the young Seguso) include Donald Young and Sam Querrey.

This documentary is full of great comments from Agassi, Sampras, Courier, McEnroe, Bollettieri, etc.

Awesome.

kairosntx
07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Blockbuster Total Access does not have it in their library :(

s7evin
07-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Anything ?

moonbat
07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Just got a chance to sit down and watch the "Unstrung."

Other main characters (besides the young Seguso) include Donald Young and Sam Querrey.

This documentary is full of great comments from Agassi, Sampras, Courier, McEnroe, Bollettieri, etc.

Awesome.

Glad you liked it. I worked on it, and I know it was a labor of love for the producer.

tyro
07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I enjoyed the film. One thing I wondered was what happens to someone as talented as Marcus Fugate or Timothy Neilly who ascends to the top of the junior game, but doesn't seem to quite make it as a pro and doesn't wind up going to college on a scholarship. Do they become coaches?'

Tyro

moonbat
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I enjoyed the film. One thing I wondered was what happens to someone as talented as Marcus Fugate or Timothy Neilly who ascends to the top of the junior game, but doesn't seem to quite make it as a pro and doesn't wind up going to college on a scholarship. Do they become coaches?'

Tyro

I was quite moved by Timothy Neilly's story; he has a website, but didn't respond to an e-mail. I think he and Marcus Fugate are playing Futures tournaments.

Shaolin_sword36
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Where can you get this documentary?