PDA

View Full Version : Gamma G325 feedback?

Koz
05-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Anyone play with the G325? Specs look interesting! Little low on swingweight, but great looking stiffness, weight, and balance.

Anton
05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Demo Now Available!

Anton
05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Come on now don't be shy! tell us tell us!

(I ordered a demo today, so my own review in a few days...)

Anton
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Now then, as promised, got to hit with this frame for a few:

Power: VERY low, TW would rate it at about 60. - not unexpected given 307 SW and 58 flex rating. I hit with a lot of spin with eastern grip and for me to hit a hard ball to the baseline required an full blown swingout with my body launching to the moon. :p I was out of breath fairly quick - this thing just soaks the pace out of the ball - for 4.5+ players indeed.

Maneuverability: in a word - effortless, one of the most maneuverable frames I've ever hit with (and I hit with about 30 of them). It tipped the scales at 11.8oz but feels MUCH lighter. Getting insane racket head speed is a flick of the wrist away with this one - loads of spin on demand.

Feel - very comfortable feel, vibrations are very well dampened, but nowhere near the point of the racket feeling numb or mushy. I did feel just a bit of wobbly on off center shots, but most likely due to the handle being too small for me to get a nice solid grip.

control - good, no surprises here, even with the limited time I had with this racket I had easy time predicting what will happen to the ball as soon as I laid the strings on the ball.

Btw. on grip - Gamma, thank god does not have that square Fisher style handle and has a natural, more rounded handle. Still uses HI-TECH grip material older Fishers used to - can't say enough good things about it - tacky plushy rubbery.

Volleys - surprisingly solid feel for such a flexible frame, maneuverability helps here as well allowing you to get quick racket placement.

Serves - didn't get a chance to do that.

All and all this frame reminded me of a softer, less powered RDS001MP - more hitting to come though.

Anton
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Got to serve: Surprisingly capable on the serve for such a soft racket - had a fairly solid feel and gave me good pop on the flats. The spin serves where even better though.

All and all great racket for those that like to swing exceptionally fast, like a light feeling racket and want to still keep the ball in even on the hardest of swings.

AAAA
05-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I too like the specs. It could be a more head heavy, weightier RD Ti-50 with the not so rediculously HL balance point of the Ti-50, in which case it would be a great racquet for me.

leigh
05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
325- Reminds me of the Pro Kennex Core ! #6

310- A lighter version of the Redondo 98

DrewRafter8
05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I just received my demo today. I played with the G325 for about 20 minutes. It has a great "feel." I really can't wait to play with it tomorrow. I will give a detailed review and a comparison between it and the DNX10MP, Prestige FXP MP, Radical Tour FXP MP, Fischer MSpeed, and Dunlop MW 200G. I'm an old MW user who's been demoing up a storm the past few weeks.

BigGriff
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Serve:
I didn't care for the G325 on serve. My flat served lacked the depth and pace I achieve with my usual racquet (Gamma Ipex 7.0 Midsize). However, I found plenty of control on serve and was able to generate plenty of action on slice and kick serves which stretched my hitting partner out.

Ground Strokes:
The G325 felt great on ground strokes but you definitely need to bring your own horse power. Slice and topspin was easy to generate from the ground. I thought the sweet spot was small but off center shots weren't jarring.

Volleys:
Great feel and touch at the net. Advanced doubles players will love this stick.

Return of Serve:
I enjoyed returning serves with this stick because the repsonse was so predicatable. The low SW allowed me to be a bit more agressive on serve returns and take full cuts at the ball.

Overall:
The G32 is a low powered, control oriented racquet, that is very manuverbale, and comfortable. This stick would be great for advanced players or anyone with a tender elbow.

Anton
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Played a set today and it was probably the most consistent game I've played to date - I didn't really serve any flat bombs, but I got at least 70% of my first serves, held a fairly aggressive second serve, and had only one double fault.

What I thought was good control during just hitting around, turned out to be the most confident hitting I've ever had during a match - I don't recall a single unforced error on my forehand, even though I did hit very aggressive at times and had good amount of winners - outstanding directional control and I had no problem keeping my partner on the run and guessing which corner next ball will fly to for most of the set.

At the same time I didn't feel like I was spending too much energy swinging this stick ( I'm sure playing against a more aggressive player then yesterday helped) - I don't see a problem playing 3 sets with it.

Again I was impressed with ease I was able to get the racket to the right place at the right time - in last half-a-second reaction situations, like serve return and volleying, this frame really shined like no other, though volleying did require some input on my part beyond just blocking to get a solid put away.

On a negative side, my faster swings to compensate for lack of power really started taking a toll and my elbow and shoulder were in a bit of pain by the end - though my body might just need some adjustment time.

Keep in mind this was on an inside court - I don't think I'd be able to match such consistency with some wind in the mix.

This was just a single match and it could've been just my better playing day, but the more I play the more impressed I am with this frame - if that keeps going, I just might get one to keep :)

DrewRafter8
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Was anyone else just really impressed with the ball "feel?". I'm still thinking about how great it felt striking each ball. I'm ready to play this stick again tomorrow.

Anton
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Was anyone else just really impressed with the ball "feel?". I'm still thinking about how great it felt striking each ball. I'm ready to play this stick again tomorrow.

It did have a good feel, slightly on the thumpy side (as opposed to metallic), but it also doesn't have the plow-through some people look for in a racket. There is enough heft there so the racket doesn't feel cheap and plastiky like some tweeners do.

BigGriff
05-18-2007, 10:55 PM

I loved how large the sweet felt despite the small head size. Off center hits weren't jarring and still had directional control. I felt comfortable banging away from the baseline.

I also found myself slicing so much more with this stick because they seemed more penetrating.

DrewRafter8
05-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I spent 3 hours with this stick today. Plush is one of the best words I could use. It took me a while to adjust but my serve really came on. I plan on doing a full review soon. It seems to do everything well. I'm playing with it again tomorrow in a little bit of doubles.

Anton
05-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Played another match yesterday, this time outside with about 10-12mph wind.

Results? Beat a 5.0 :D

Again, found very good consistency on both serves and ground strokes, though fudged up some voleys (not my strong suit yet). My partner noticed me playing more consistant as well.

Richard Pur
05-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Can this be considered a softer version of the Slaz Pro X1? I've been playing more with the Pro X1 and liking it, however, it seems to have a small sweetspot and to me feel a little harsh sometimes, not forgiving in the least. A slightly more flexible version of the Pro X1 for me would be perfect.

If anyone could give a comparison between the Pro X1 and the G325, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Richard Pur
05-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Anyone? If not a comparison to the Pro X1, what did your experience with the G325 remind you of the most (in terms of current racquets)?

Thanks,

Rich

Anton
05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone? If not a comparison to the Pro X1, what did your experience with the G325 remind you of the most (in terms of current racquets)?

Thanks,

Rich

I have never heard of X1, but G325 is really a unique frame to me and I've tried just about all the current frames with similar specs

Attila the tennis Bum
05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Anyone play with the G325? Specs look interesting! Little low on swingweight, but great looking stiffness, weight, and balance.

I tried the new g290. check it out at gamma. you will be amazed at those specs. Its like a babolat but just a little bigger:

http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?prodid=1686

Anton
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I tried the new g290. check it out at gamma. you will be amazed at those specs. Its like a babolat but just a little bigger:

http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?prodid=1686

??? thats a very stiff raquet that is under 10oz what makes you think, that a person who thinks 11.5oz flixble racket is perfect would be interested in something like that???

Attila the tennis Bum
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
??? thats a very stiff raquet that is under 10oz what makes you think, that a person who thinks 11.5oz flixble racket is perfect would be interested in something like that???

all I can say is try and you will see. This raquet is the first of its kind. There is absolutely no other racquet with this combination of specs. There is really nothing to compare it to.

Anton
05-30-2007, 04:08 PM
all I can say is try and you will see. This raquet is the first of its kind. There is absolutely no other racquet with this combination of specs. There is really nothing to compare it to.

Why in the world would I want to try a 10 oz racket?

BigGriff
05-31-2007, 12:36 AM

I am not a fan of that static or swing weight.

I prefer Gamma's Tour frames.